Nice Chad Red article in the Indy Star

MattM

Very solid article, and I definitely stand with everyone else's comment on it being incomplete due to the missing link being Lee.

As a former sports writer myself, wrestling OFTEN gets overlooked in the newspaper, and having wrestled for nearly 20 years myself, it was very discouraging. Even some of the best writers out there have no idea how to write a piece about wrestlers. Doyel is a good writer, don't get me wrong, and this was a good piece, but wrestling articles are few and far between.

For Indy, it's basketball, and you'll see the best writing for the Pacers, Boilers, Hoosiers, etc. Unlike basketball, we don't have a beat writer following us around.

It's good to get this recognition in the biggest paper in Indiana. Red has had a decorated career on a state and especially a National level, so I'm excited like all of us to see an amazing weekend of wrestling.

Great career, no doubt about that.  But I wouldn't call him the most dominant wrestler in Indiana history, let alone the most dominant athlete.  

If he wins State this year he is going to join a very small fraternity. Four years undefeated, it would land him as one of the most dominant in Indiana history. Give credit where credit is due. Love him or hate him you can't knock his credentials.

Totally agree.  But 4 titles doesn't necessarily mean most dominant.  I'd take Andrew Howe and his 3 titles as being more dominant.  Lance Ellis was more dominant.  Alex Tsistsis was more dominant.

Regardless if Red wins this weekend or not, he's had a career that 99.9% of us on this board could only dream of.

Let the article be about him. We are talking about a guy that is on pace to be the most dominant athlete in Indiana history...

I'd have to say Andrew Howe is arguably the most dominant wrestler in Indiana history. Heck even as a three timer he might be the best wrestler (college career included) in Indiana history.

I understand the argument for Howe and Gelen. And it is definitely debatable but we are talking about a guy who has not lost a high school match and has went out and dominated the offseason. A win over Nick Lee to top off his career would be just flawless and very impressive. Looking forward to seeing a great match

Edited by FWwrestling1996

You need to be more than a one sport athlete to get recognition as the best athlete from Indiana ever. Look at a guy like Gelen Robinson

No Offense to Gelen but if you're going to talk about the best athlete you need to bring up Blake Maurer.  Dude has more state titles then fingers to put em on. 

I understand the argument for Howe and Gelen. And it is definitely debatable but we are talking about a guy who has not lost a high school match and has went out and dominated the offseason. A win over Nick Lee to top off his career would be just flawless and very impressive. Looking forward to seeing a great match

Yes Red would have a flawless and impressive career. But in terms of domination, or athleticism you could argue others. In terms of better career obviously youd go with red.

I will not even attempt to take anything away from what Red has accomplished and have absolutely no vested interest in either wrestler so when reading this take into the context of what this forum is about. Regarding the article about Red, being someone who had never seen him wrestle in person before this weekend, well let's just say I'm kinda confused. What I took in from the article was a very humble and grateful young man that was attempting a rare feat who even quoted his grandma and the methods in which he calms his nerves before wrestling matches. What I seen on Saturday night was completely different. I seen a level of arrogance, a lack of class and complete disrespect for his opponent in actions and words that were only equaled by his father and coaches. Congratulations to Chad Red and thank you to Nick Lee and Chad Red for what was probably the best finals match I have ever seen.

I get tired of these "lack of class" posts. The kid was probably the most excited he's ever been in his life. He has had to read for months how he was going to lose. The crowd chanted his opponents name. He was put flat on his back yet he bounced back. He overcame a hostile environment, an opponent that is one of the best in the nation and became a four time champ with an undefeated career in the process. Part of his success has always been his swag. It's not classless - it's just different from the norm. I for one love it that he is a free spirit that doesn't feel like he has to say all the right answers. He won, he silenced the doubters and he went out his way.

I get tired of these "lack of class" posts. The kid was probably the most excited he's ever been in his life. He has had to read for months how he was going to lose. The crowd chanted his opponents name. He was put flat on his back yet he bounced back. He overcame a hostile environment, an opponent that is one of the best in the nation and became a four time champ with an undefeated career in the process. Part of his success has always been his swag. It's not classless - it's just different from the norm. I for one love it that he is a free spirit that doesn't feel like he has to say all the right answers. He won, he silenced the doubters and he went out his way.

Chad Red Jr/Sr both have displayed on several occasions acts not becoming of an coach and athlete that respects the sport and opponents.  There is no denying that he's extremely talented and earned his ranking and place in Indiana wrestling history.  The reason some fans don't care for him is because of his demeanor and lack of humbleness after winning matches.  The Red's have the "ME" mentality.  This isn't the first time they've acted like this and if you've followed them, you would know that.

Hopefully when Chad Red Jr attends NE that Coach Manning and Coach Burroughs change his attitude when it comes to respecting the sport of wrestling and opponents.  Hopefully his current mental training doesn't affect  his collegiate career because he's to talented not to be a multiple NCAA AA!

I hate when people have fun in wrestling...they need to stop dimming the lights, playing music etc, we should probably move state to a regular gym like our wrestling gym. We also need to shake hands more preferably before each period. All this fun is making this sport way too exciting and different WHILST KILLLLING IT.

#youmonsters

As a novice wrestling parent I enjoyed the article.  I was amazed that he walks around at 143 to wrestle at 132. Am I misreading that? I took it that on Wed. he'd weigh 143 and Sat 132. Or do you think it is that in the off season he weighs 143 and comes down to 132 for wrestling?

As a novice wrestling parent I enjoyed the article.  I was amazed that he walks around at 143 to wrestle at 132. Am I misreading that? I took it that on Wed. he'd weigh 143 and Sat 132. Or do you think it is that in the off season he weighs 143 and comes down to 132 for wrestling?

Although much has been done to try to curb extreme bouncing up and down of kids' weights between events compared to the past, it's still fairly common to have kids that will weigh 10 to 15 pounds more on Monday and Tuesday than they weigh in on Saturday.  The "weight" is not genuine weight, but instead mostly water that is lost during workouts the last couple days before an event but not replenished until after weigh-in.  A 150-pound individual, for example, can lose well over 5 pounds of water weight with a relatively rigorous workout and much more than this with a very rigorous 2 or 3-hour workout.  If you do this for a couple of days while eating and drinking very little, you can fake "lose" 10 to 15 pounds quickly for the purpose of stepping on a scale--then quickly drink as much as possible to try to rehydrate in the couple of hours before competing.

This process is extremely hard on your kidneys and digestive system and has caused many wrestlers and fighters significant health problems--even hospitalization.  Thankfully, now that we know many of the dangers better than in the past, most coaches don't condone it and many are firmly against it for high school and younger athletes.  But there's a long history of it, it's still the norm in college, and it's still not uncommon in high school despite being less prevalent than 15 years ago.

i don't care how he acts...thats his prerogative.   I don't have to agree with it but its not for me to say how he or his father/coach act.  Doesn't take away from the fact he is still one of the best wrestlers ever to wrestle in high school in indiana or the u.s. for that matter.

i will also say coaches can do what they want to do also...even if they want to dab.

Edited by frigginhurts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.