Nice Chad Red article in the Indy Star

MattM

That's a nice article, but I don't think it is complete without mentioning his potential challenge against Nick Lee this weekend.  Not so much as to make it a Lee piece, but to acknowledge that he has a strong (say stronger than normal) challenge ahead.  If he wins, it makes the rest of the article stand out more.  If he loses, someone not in the know won't go back and think he choked.  A paragraph or two would suffice, but to ignore it, at least to me, leaves the story incomplete.

It was posted on their site today.  Keep in mind it was written by Gregg Doyle.  Likely the first wrestling piece he's ever done.  It was a nice piece, just missing the one key part.  Doyle is a columnist who used to be national before joining the Indy Star a year or two ago.  He basically writes opinion pieces that typically stir the pot.  For him, this is what you would call a fluff piece.  

Yeah it wasn't a normal wrestling piece. I liked it. 

I don't mind that it didn't mention Lee, I think it now makes a great match even bigger.

Remember all win, lose, or draw lets celebrate these two kids, two of the greatest from Indiana of all time. While I'm excited about the match, I worry about the boo birds coming out. 

C'mon, guys.  The article isn't about Nick Lee, who doesn't have an undefeated High School career.  The article is about Chad Red.  

Only a tiny fraction of the sports fan population follows High School wrestling, so any mention of Lee would have been completely lost on 99.5% of the article's audience.  Heck, this is probably the first time most readers of the article have even heard of Red.

We may consider it a foregone conclusion, but Lee may not even make it to the final match...not that I don't believe he will.

Edited by Forrester

Yeah it wasn't a normal wrestling piece. I liked it. 

I don't mind that it didn't mention Lee, I think it now makes a great match even bigger.

Remember all win, lose, or draw lets celebrate these two kids, two of the greatest from Indiana of all time. While I'm excited about the match, I worry about the boo birds coming out. 

what fun is it if the entire crowd is not against an md wrestler?

Edited by hook and half

C'mon, guys.  The article isn't about Nick Lee, who doesn't have an undefeated High School career.  The article is about Chad Red.  Only a tiny fraction of the sports fan population follows High School wrestling, so any mention of Lee would have been completely lost on 99.5% of the article's audience.  Heck, this is probably the first time most readers of the article have even heard of Red.

That's where you are missing the point.  Mentioning Lee (note I said it should not be a Nick Lee story, but simply mentioning Lee only adds to the relevance to this weekend's part of the article) would only increase the casual fans understanding that he is on the verge of something huge.  A short paragraph including the potential match up would only give the whole situation more clarity.  It WOULD NOT take away from the rest of the story if written correctly, it would enhance it. 

C'mon, guys.  The article isn't about Nick Lee, who doesn't have an undefeated High School career.  The article is about Chad Red.  Only a tiny fraction of the sports fan population follows High School wrestling, so any mention of Lee would have been completely lost on 99.5% of the article's audience.  Heck, this is probably the first time most readers of the article have even heard of Red.

Amen. This is about Chad Red. Bringing Nick Lee into the article would have required way too much technical explanation. This was about 179-0 and getting more eyes on wrestling.

If Nick Lee pulls off the upset, then they have a second article to write that is set up by this article. If Chad Red wins the second article is confirmation of the first.

Seems like basic storytelling to me.

That's where you are missing the point.  Mentioning Lee (note I said it should not be a Nick Lee story, but simply mentioning Lee only adds to the relevance to this weekend's part of the article) would only increase the casual fans understanding that he is on the verge of something huge.  A short paragraph including the potential match up would only give the whole situation more clarity.  It WOULD NOT take away from the rest of the story if written correctly, it would enhance it. 

I think we take it for granted how highly anticipated a Red\Lee match-up is, being avid fans of the sport.  I also think it would have taken more than a short paragraph to explain the importance, especially considering Lee's accomplishments would need to be detailed to convey the challenge he poses.  Why even bring Lee into the narrative when there's no guarantee the two meet in the finals?

More likely than not, Doyle isn't even familiar with the importance of that potential match among hardcore wrestling fans and it really isn't an article aimed at the hardcore fan.

Edited by Forrester

More likely than not, Doyle isn't even familiar with the importance of that potential match among hardcore wrestling fans.

This makes my point!   It's a good fluff piece but it is incomplete.  Bringing the idea there is one huge challenge on the horizon to cap off his career would make it better.  I haven't done sports writing since HS and I could summarize what he should have in 2 minutes.  If you think mentioning Lee's name would take the focus of the article away from Chad is flat wrong.  It could be done very easily and would make it better.

This makes my point!   It's a good fluff piece but it is incomplete.  Bringing the idea there is one huge challenge on the horizon to cap off his career would make it better.  I haven't done sports writing since HS and I could summarize what he should have in 2 minutes.  If you think mentioning Lee's name would take the focus of the article away from Chad is flat wrong.  It could be done very easily and would make it better.

It's only a challenge if the two both make it to the Finals.  Why introduce an angle to the story that may not even transpire?

It's only a challenge if the two both make it to the Finals.  Why introduce an angle to the story that may not even transpire?

Because it is a looming story that could only make it bigger.  Here is an example of how it could have been formed.  I did it off the top of my head in 2 minutes so its not perfect.  I'm not sure I would keep the mention of Micic in a final draft.  But hopefully you can see how the mention would only help build interest in this weekend and not take anything away from Red.

"that's the plan.

There is one more large hurdle looming, however.  Red is likely to meet Evansville Mater Dei junior Nick Lee in the finals.  Lee has a similar resume nationally and is ranked as high as #4 in the national polls.  Lee has one loss in high school, dropping a decision as a freshman to nationally ranked Stevan Micic, now wrestling for the University of Michigan.  Red is the favorite, and he has beaten other highly ranked wrestlers in his national tournaments but has never faced Lee.  Beating Nick Lee to cap off his 4th State Championship would undoubtedly add an extra exclamation point to a remarkable, if not unparalleled, career."

Edited by SWINfan

It was an extremely well written article bringing light to a very gifted wrestler. Insulting the writer because he didn't mention another guy in his story, or because he doesn't write a lot about wrestling, isn't needed. Just take the story for what it is - a good feature on a great Indiana wrestler. We all know that the potential Lee matchup could by electric - but it didn't make it into the article. Big deal.

We may consider it a foregone conclusion, but Lee may not even make it to the final match...not that I don't believe he will.

Red may not make the finals either. It is wrestling. But Lee imo is just as likely as Red to make it to the finals. Highly ranked in the nation losing before the finals to a non nationally ranked wrestler would be one of, if not the biggest upsets of the tournament. If your going to mention Lee possibly not making it, you should mention the possibility of Red not making it.

Red may not make the finals either. It is wrestling. But Lee imo is just as likely as Red to make it to the finals. Highly ranked in the nation losing before the finals to a non nationally ranked wrestler would be one of, if not the biggest upsets of the tournament. If your going to mention Lee possibly not making it, you should mention the possibility of Red not making it.

Oh, I completely agree.  Red is just as likely to miss the finals as Lee, which is to say unlikely.  What I meant, though, is that there's no point in bringing Lee into the article if the two wrestlers might not even face off.

Because it is a looming story that could only make it bigger.  Here is an example of how it could have been formed.  I did it off the top of my head in 2 minutes so its not perfect.  I'm not sure I would keep the mention of Micic in a final draft.  But hopefully you can see how the mention would only help build interest in this weekend and not take anything away from Red.

"that's the plan.

There is one more large hurdle looming, however.  Red is likely to meet Evansville Mater Dei junior Nick Lee in the finals.  Lee has a similar resume nationally and is ranked as high as #4 in the national polls.  Lee has one loss in high school, dropping a decision as a freshman to nationally ranked Stevan Micic, now wrestling for the University of Michigan.  Red is the favorite, and he has beaten other highly ranked wrestlers in his national tournaments but has never faced Lee.  Beating Nick Lee to cap off his 4th State Championship would undoubtedly add an extra exclamation point to a remarkable, if not unparalleled, career."

I would be surprised if the writer of the article has even heard of Lee. I am sure that Chad did not talk about him. The reporter heard of a guy going for his fourth title and was undefeated. It was a nice personal piece that he did not have to dig hard for.

Being a wrestling fan I see the article as not being complete. But for Joe Schmoe drinking his coffee and never having seen a high school match in his life it doesn't matter. The writer probably really doesn't care and probably won't be at State. I for one celebrate a good lengthy article on the sport that is always overlooked, whether it is complete or not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.