State Finals - Mat Assignments

BigCardinal141

I do not like the first available for a tournament like this.  Too many teams bring 1 wrestler down, but have many fans that want to sit near the mat that the wrestler will wrestle on.  Not a fan of sitting near mat 3, but then the wrestler wrestles on 1.  Go back to the old format please.  

Track assigns as first available.  Typically it assigns matches 3 deep so 106 and first matches of 113 should be set but then after that first come first serve.

Last year 106 and 113 mat assignments were set.  The top half of each bracket wrestled from top to bottom on mats 1-4, respectively.  Then repeated for the bottom half of the bracket.  After that it was first available.

It does make it go faster.  In the Evansville SS the mats were preassigned by weight class and 1 or 2 mats were way ahead of the others.  I think mats 3 & 4 were wrestling 195 & 285 while 1 & 2 were still on 160.  I do understand the concerns from a viewing perspective in the arena.  I'd hate to be near 4 and want to see the match on 1 if they are lined in a row like they were in Evansville.  

No, the IHSAA listens to their meet director and TW Supervisor.

And not a single person has said that they will not do a Random Draw at the Finals.  Unless you have more insider information.

The IHSAA has said in the Winter Bulletin that a random draw will not be used. 

"G. Competition in dual meets shall be conducted by a random draw of weight classes. A random draw for championship final matches for an individual tournament, regular season and/or state high school championship series, may be used for competition.  (Rule 1‐2‐2 – NFHS Wrestling Rules Book)  NOTE – A random draw for championship final matches in the IHSAA individual tournament series is NOT TO BE USED.  Championship matches throughout the individual tournament series shall be conducted in weight class order beginning with the 106 pound weight class.  The draw shall take place immediately following the conclusion of weigh‐ins. Subsequent matches will follow in the traditional order. In multi‐dual events, the sequence determined by the draw will be followed for that day’s subsequent meet competition; the subsequent dual meet shall begin one weight class beyond the starting weight class of the previous round. (Rule 1‐2‐2 – NFHS Wrestling Rules Book)."

Edited by chambers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.