Best off-season plan

grappleapple

Just looking for opinions on what aspects of training are most beneficial to a wrestler during the offseason. My son wants to do a ton of lifting and conditioning - but I want to see him get as much live wrestling as possible. He will wrestle folkstyle and Greco tourneys but doesn't have a big interest in doing freestyle (which I think he should).

He knows a few areas he needs to work on is takedowns and work on bottom.

How much live wrestling should kids do? Are camps worth the money?

We aren't going to be able to do national tournaments, but he would like to get as much live wrestling as possible.

Just curious what other wrestlers do.

Just looking for opinions on what aspects of training are most beneficial to a wrestler during the offseason. My son wants to do a ton of lifting and conditioning - but I want to see him get as much live wrestling as possible. He will wrestle folkstyle and Greco tourneys but doesn't have a big interest in doing freestyle (which I think he should).

He knows a few areas he needs to work on is takedowns and work on bottom.

How much live wrestling should kids do? Are camps worth the money?

We aren't going to be able to do national tournaments, but he would like to get as much live wrestling as possible.

Just curious what other wrestlers do.

How old is your son ?

Drill Drill Drill / get with a good coach/ technique is what wins matches at a high level

i RELATE it to a golf swing / poor position poor technique is hard to break/ get him with someone who can teach him right

LeARNING all three styles is important

pUT A rope in da back yard on a tree/ give da kid a dime for each time he climbs it wiith no legs for da summer

Full body movement/ snatch/ cleans / squats /deads should be da majority of work / snatch squats are killers - build core and leg strength

He's a high schooler - pretty good record but lost close matches to the upper level guys he's faced. Looking to improve.

One thing I suggested is he primarily work on weaknesses - such as his leg attacks, during the offseason. Only leg attack during matches - win or lose.

He's not very good with the shots though - and it's not much his style, so I really don't want to give him bad advise. He has a few RTCs relatively close that we are going to go to for sure.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.