Biggest darkhorse

Smooth34

#7 Mulkey at 120 is an interesting one.  His bracket quarter isn't incredibly daunting, while Langeloh/Reitz will have to go at it in the other quarter on his side and Hildebrandt will have Luigs/Glogouski and Culp/Rooks on his way through.  He's a bit of an unknown because he only just started seeing guys ranked above him this weekend.  

I expect that Joe Lee is going to have his act together and the illusion of 145 being wide open will be put to rest.  But in the meantime, #7 Kenny Kerrn is another very interesting one to watch.  Until the 9-6 loss to #1 Laughlin, he had been a MAN in controlling and/or pinning every decent opponent since midseason when he steamrolled through the Al Smith.  I'd make him a slight dog against Vaughn in the quarters, but he could absolutely put him to his back and find himself in the semi-finals as a slight favorite against the McIntosh/Eicher/Bethel survivor.

I expect that Joe Lee is going to have his act together and the illusion of 145 being wide open will be put to rest. But in the meantime, #7 Kenny Kerrn is another very interesting one to watch. Until the 9-6 loss to #1 Laughlin, he had been a MAN in controlling and/or pinning every decent opponent since midseason when he steamrolled through the Al Smith. I'd make him a slight dog against Vaughn in the quarters, but he could absolutely put him to his back and find himself in the semi-finals as a slight favorite against the McIntosh/Eicher/Bethel survivor.

Kerrn absolutelydominated Either at semi state and looked extremely impressive. However, I expect Eicher to seek vengeance in the State finals. I hope to see a rematchbetween Eicher and Kerrn this weekend

I'll go with Mulkey...I don't think many people had winning eville let alone making it to the finals.  Mulkey has a good solid opponent first and second round but he should advance to see Reitz in the semi finals.  Actually, I'll stop and just say 120 is the deepest weight class at the state finals.  

152- Pruit 41-2 has a clean shot to the finals...I can even see an upset of the winner of McCormick/Lawrence

160- Maybe a long shot but Gleason Mappes but he has quality losses to Van Horn and Whitaker.  IF he can get past Malone first round I'll take him over Garmen which puts him in the semi finals.  

170- Dull has a tough first and second round match but they're not Walton, Hughes, Baumgartner, etc.  Def a darkhorse 

182- Jones 38-6...Has a clear path to the finals and has proven he can keep it close with Rypel.  All eyes are on Rypel and Davison but don't be surprised to see Jones pull an upset.

195 Stewart of Cathedral- I'll take him over Tonte in the finals...

285- maybe a homer pick but Galligar of Col. East!  Streck has to go through a murderers row of Amos 46-8, Klem 38-3, and Perkins 32-1 before making it to the finals.  Can Galligar pull an upset?  Probably not but we've seen stranger things happen.

I'll go with Mulkey...I don't think many people had winning eville let alone making it to the finals.  Mulkey has a good solid opponent first and second round but he should advance to see Reitz in the semi finals.  Actually, I'll stop and just say 120 is the deepest weight class at the state finals.  

152- Pruit 41-2 has a clean shot to the finals...I can even see an upset of the winner of McCormick/Lawrence

160- Maybe a long shot but Gleason Mappes but he has quality losses to Van Horn and Whitaker.  IF he can get past Malone first round I'll take him over Garmen which puts him in the semi finals.  

170- Dull has a tough first and second round match but they're not Walton, Hughes, Baumgartner, etc.  Def a darkhorse 

182- Jones 38-6...Has a clear path to the finals and has proven he can keep it close with Rypel.  All eyes are on Rypel and Davison but don't be surprised to see Jones pull an upset.

285- maybe a homer pick but Galligar of Col. East!  Streck has to go through a murderers row of Amos 46-8, Klem 38-3, and Perkins 32-1 before making it to the finals.  Can Galligar pull an upset?  Probably not but we've seen stranger things happen.

Streck will not break a sweat dis weekend - he may not wrasle for a toltal of 4 minutes/

That family knows how to wrestle.  Interesting darkhorse. Ranked #18.

Good post...I was about to like it until the suggestion of Streck getting upset by one of these guys. :)  Unfortunately, 285 will be a very, very anti-climactic weight.  Streck losing would FAR outweigh anything I've seen in the 25 state finals I've been able to watch.  So, no, we haven't seen stranger things. 

how about the 132 lb weight class, I'm going to throw this out there but I think Malloy could be the biggest dark horse come Saturday.  I wouldn't count him out whatsoever, but then again everyone is to hyped for the red/lee match up while over looking this kid.

how about the 132 lb weight class, I'm going to throw this out there but I think Malloy could be the biggest dark horse come Saturday.  I wouldn't count him out whatsoever, but then again everyone is to hyped for the red/lee match up while over looking this kid.

I think he is being overlooked because of Nick Lee teching him at Semi-State. Great wrestler, but Lee and Red are a few steps above.

I'm going to call the biggest upset alerts. 220 - Mason Parris over Kobe Woods. Penn is a team that does a lot of film study. Woods is a very beatable kid, and they won't have as much film on the Lawrenceburg standout. 182 - Andrew Davison over Blake Rypel. Davison looks very sharp this year, and has gotten more mat time than he has in previous years. 132 is such a stacked weight class. We all know how awesome Chad Red is. But we've also seen some matches come down to the wire that shouldn't have (IE: Jason Tsirtsis v Devon Jackson). Also, some upsets in championship matches (IE: Chad Biddle over Cooper Samuels and Mitch Sliga over Kourtney Berry).

I'm going to call the biggest upset alerts. 220 - Mason Parris over Kobe Woods. Penn is a team that does a lot of film study. Woods is a very beatable kid, and they won't have as much film on the Lawrenceburg standout. 182 - Andrew Davison over Blake Rypel. Davison looks very sharp this year, and has gotten more mat time than he has in previous years. 132 is such a stacked weight class. We all know how awesome Chad Red is. But we've also seen some matches come down to the wire that shouldn't have (IE: Jason Tsirtsis v Devon Jackson). Also, some upsets in championship matches (IE: Chad Biddle over Cooper Samuels and Mitch Sliga over Kourtney Berry).

You really don't know what a "darkhorse" is.  You also seem confused about what an "upset" is.  Nobody can really call Parris, Davison, or Lee "darkhorses" or "upsets" when about half of the predictions have them winning.  (You're mention of Sliga over Berry easily falls into the same category.)

Biggest darkhorse this year? Or lowest ranked wrestler with a shot to win it all?

106-- Garcia ranked at #8

145--Bethel ranked at #10

Had a hard time coming up with anyone else ranked lower than those two with a realistic chance.

I can see Garcia going deep. I wouldnt bet against him!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.