More Likely Upset...

FormerHornet

Current national rankings (Flo/Intermat):

Red 1/1 (#4 pound for pound)

Lee 7/4

Woods 5/6

Parris 20/19

For my money, the climb from 19 to 5 is less steep than the climb from 7/4 to #1.

And I think Parris is being undervalued in his ranking.  I think there's always a much bigger jump from freshman to sophomore year in terms of improvement than in any other year--and all the more for a big guy like Parris.  His performance this past weekend (3 quick pins and a tech--3 of those results over top-10 guys) just solidified the notion that he is on the cusp of being a national STAR.  Meanwhile, Woods has shown multiple times this year that he could be beatable, even against guys down in the pecking order a bit.

With the other match, Red's quality against the best has been proven again and again.  Except for the other top 10 pound for pound guys he's faced, he's rarely been threatened recently.  Red/Lee will be one for the ages in terms of the Indiana context, but it would be a considerable upset in the national landscape.

I think Parris over Woods is more likely to happen and would be less of an upset.  

(By the way, put Rypel (3/5 ranking) -- Davison (17/19) in here as the other mega-matchup we'll hopefully get to see.  I would also put Davison over Rypel as more likely than Lee over Red, though not as likely as Parris over Woods.)

I forgot about Rypel vs Davison. Three HUGE match ups for Indiana high school wrestling. Clearly testifies to the rise of Indiana wrestling.

Unfortunately this match happens in the semis.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Unfortunately this match happens in the semis.

And Jones/Eli III in the quarters.  Thankfully, we'll get our wish with the other 2 weights, but 182 really didn't fall right.  I would have enjoyed Rypel/Eli and Davison/Jones II as potential semi-finals instead.

Edited by maligned

In terms of potential, this year could be greatest ever. There's been talked about matches in past but nothing on levels of what we have an opportunity to see this weekend. 3 legit stud returning state champs w legit contenders breathing down there necks is unreal. Micic/Lee and Maurer/Dolly are only 2 that come to mind in recent memory.

In terms of potential, this year could be greatest ever. There's been talked about matches in past but nothing on levels of what we have an opportunity to see this weekend. 3 legit stud returning state champs w legit contenders breathing down there necks is unreal. Micic/Lee and Maurer/Dolly are only 2 that come to mind in recent memory.

Would you put Howe/Humphrey in that category as well?

Quiroga/Tshirts was a rematch, I don't remember as much hype. I was pumped, I still get on Mrs 3b for using her pregnancy to prevent me from seeing that. I missed that match and Richey/Roach. I remember sitting in Dunkin Donuts hearing the roars! And I don't think most gave Howe a chance. The hype that year was Hump/Angel.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.