Should the 132lb final be last on Saturday?

Y2CJ41

289 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lee vs. Red be the last match

• Yes, why are you even asking?
    • No, I want to see Streck maul someone last.

So, the other 13 Championship matches are meaningless? I would think that a Senior, who wrestling in the finals would disagree.Or, a 4 seed winning it all.

When you say "having the last match as something meaningful", you ARE inferring that the others are not meaningful. Otherwise, why use that phrase in comparison between the last match and the others. It seems we are worried about what non-hardcore fans think when we should be looking at ourselves and how we think about our sport. Obviously everyone (including Y2CJ41)posting here is knowledgeable about and cares about wrestling, so it is somewhat telling to use that phrase. Just saying that I got what 1prouddad got out of that statement.

There's a difference between the 2 points here. One is an award that's given after everything has been said and done. The other is putting someone before everyone before it even begins.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as excited for this match up should it happen as the next person, but not at the expense of another wrestlers big stage opportunity.

I think the pro-132 last argument also supports your "not at the expense of another wrestlers big stage opportunity" argument in that if there are more people in the stands for the heavyweights because the 132 match is last then the heavyweights, by definition, have a bigger stage opportunity than they have otherwise.

The point being that under the current set up their big stage opportunity is not as big as it could be because they are last and the crowd thins out. Right, wrong or indifferent, that is just the reality. Ensuring the crowd is not thinned for their match helps, not hurts, them.

I think the people that want it to stay the way it is obviously just dont want to watch heavyweights wrestle. They know if red and lee are last they will be forced to stay all night and watch the big boys! That being said, with parris, woods, and streck lighting it up all day maybe that will entice people to stay.

Assuming Lee and Red make the finals, I think both should just have them announce all their accomplishments from when they started wrestling till now. Just think of the build up and anticipation after saying all of those accomplishments

Just to add a little more hype and historical comparison to this potential matchup.   Here's the question we have to   find   out.   Is Nick Lee the Larry Owings of Indiana, or is he just a big speed bump in Red's quest for perfection?

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

I think the people that want it to stay the way it is obviously just dont want to watch heavyweights wrestle. They know if red and lee are last they will be forced to stay all night and watch the big boys! That being said, with parris, woods, and streck lighting it up all day maybe that will entice people to stay.

Do far from the truth for me!

Would love to see this as the last match, BUT, like most have said, this should be decided WHEN they get to the finals. Also, I think the wrestlers themselves, not just Red and Lee, but everyone else in the finals, should agree to it. They all got there, earned their spot just like Lee and Red most likely will. Majority wins.

It's as if the sport will improve if you FORCE people to watch the heavyweights. If the people that usually leave, have to watch the heavyweights, they will be eating popcorn, talking, texting and on Facebook etc. while others are watching and cheering the higher weights.

Give the heavyweight wrestlers the credit they deserve. They know people leave early and why. They would know that people wouldn't be there watching them if the weights were different. They don't do it for the fans or to be popular. They do it because they have integrity and no number of fans can give that to them or take it away. They may not dance before the matches or wear shiny warm ups, but they know how much they sweat, bleed and hurt every day of the year and that night. I don't feel pity for them for not being watched by more fans. That would be an insult to them. I feel great knowing there are people that have to work as hard or harder than others without the glory, and continue to do it day in, day out and on that night...for themselves. They are the ones that gain the most out of the sport by putting so much into it knowing they get what s coming to them; their integrity.

I find it ironic people get offended that there is a simply a discussion about the last match of the evening therefore making it disrespectful to the other finalists and ignore the fact the vote reads, "No, I want to see Streck maul someone last." 

It seems to me if you are going to be up in arms suggesting other wrestlers are disrespected or it is not a foregone conclusion that Lee and Red will make the finals then you should be offended by the assumption Streck is going to make the finals, or that he will dominate whoever he wrestles, it is disrespectful to them. That is "why we have them wrestle the matches" right? 

This probably the biggest match in Indiana High School history and a prime opportunity to grow the sport. It just makes sense to make it the last match of the evening. It is just wise that the IHSAA put two of the most accomplished wrestlers in the states history as the center piece. It doesn't diminish everyone else's accomplishments in fact it might boost their exposure to the casual wrestling fans. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.