Wrestling Fans

munges

A friend of mine who follows many high school athletics, and just started getting into wrestling the last couple of years, made a scathing remark about wrestling fans today. He said he is just amazed that wrestling fans boo a high school athlete. He has not witnessed this in other sports. At an awards ceremony yesterday the crowd booed a kid for the call of an official. Last year he pointed out fans booing a wrestler for the decisions of the trainer for an injury default "the year before".

Is this and indictment against the emotions that we allow to run wild at a high school wrestling event? We hold kids responsible for our ire?  I felt it was an interesting observation from a new found wrestling fan. Loves wrestling but not so sure about the fans.

Some fans are idiots...but this is not exclusive to wrestling.  I have been to almost every sport as a fan and have heard idiots booing.  Football happens all the time, basketball seen it many times.  Really in any sport where there is high intensity, fans will let it get the best of them. 

Here's a story... I was at our school's football game and was sitting with a group of wrestling parents whose kids also played football. Throughout the whole game, one parent kept yelling at our own coach, complaining about play calls, time management, etc. (complaining is the nice way to put it) At one point I leaning over to him and asked "Do you yell like this at me during wrestling meets?" He just said "Of course not, coach."

Some fans just can't see the difference between positive cheering and negative booing. You can go to any pro sporting event and hear boos about controversial calls from the refs. That's how some people perceive rooting for their team. The sportsmanship mission that the IHSAA has begun is helping, but there will always be that trickle-down effect from pro sport fans that will keep the boos around. Just please don't boo high school kids.

Edited by GrecoCoach

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.