• 2 weeks later...

"Didn't get the details from BIG's, but surely IU was up near the middle of the pack, with the success and improvement they've had these past several years. Any one with the good news?"

Purdue got 10th and IU 11th.

Edited by IU89

Good news, out of the office of Indiana's, director of athletics. A new volleyball/wrestling facility is finally a reality of getting done. This was talked about e few years ago, but funding finally happened. Will be built on campus on the corner of Fee and 17th st. I am sure this will help in the recruiting area of Indiana's programs for both Wrestling and V-ball. This is Fred Glass's First step in making the wrestling program better. More improvements to come. Stay tuned.

A) Have you talked to the administration about your displeasure on the success of the program? When and what was the outcome?

Absolutely. As a consumer, I don't use any hard earned money on that product.  The next time I spend money in Bloomington will be next year at the Big 10s so I can see all of the other elite programs conference.

I understand you have a vested interest in the program, Jeff, but I'm not sure challenging fans of the program to fix the program's perceived failures and/or lack of progress is the best way to address fan and alumni dissatisfaction. I know it hurts when people attack something you care about, especially when you see the blood, sweat and tears involved in the day to day functioning of the program. However, we live in a results-based athletic world, and I don't think even those closest to the program are happy with recent overall results. That's not a knock on anyone in particular, especially not the wrestlers, but being defensive when people express frustration isn't likely to help much. People posting on this thread are people who actually care about the program. In short, even if you don't like their comments, they aren't the enemy. This thing isn't going to be made or broken by fans contacting the administration. There simply aren't enough iu wrestling fans for that to make a huge difference in funding or administrative focus. Winning cures everything, so hopefully the tide turns in the near future

Appreciate that Brigade. I will heed your words. But I do believe that alumni and fans have a voice. There are many ways to help the program. And I am certain that some of those would be appreciated by the coaching staff. There are some really good things happening down in that wrestling room guys. It isn't all doom and gloom like some may suggest here.

C) Have you offered your services as a volunteer to the program? Event coordinator, recruiting assistant, speciality coach, fundraising lead? If so, how did that go?

So if I shoot the coaching staff an email, they will respond with ways I can help the program?

There may be vast amounts of improvement happening in the room. But until that level of improvement becomes high enough to pull the team out of the B1G basement, it's not going to be enough on its own. It seems like iu needs to look at what the upper echelon teams are doing to compete and recruit at that high level. Stud recruits won't go to any school until it either shows that it is an established powerhouse or is taking tangible steps to move in that direction. Is the coaching staff evolving with the times? Hard for anyone to say without being in the program.

Coach, I'm not sure how IU can recruit higher than Oliver or Skatzka last year. Or a Weaver and Danishek the year prior. I don't have an answer on how to get better kids than that. Thus why I suggested the people on this thread to actually inject their expertise on the subject directly to the people that make those decisions. I am positive that no one in that room likes where they are at the moment.

Smooth, I am assuming you have read the entire thread. If so, you would see how this has escalated to basically me saying stop complaining and actually DO something about it. I take personally anyone who hides behind a screen name and tries to destroy the credibility of another man, regardless who that man is. I don't owe Goldman or SIMMONS or Pascoe a thing. People think I am vested in the program? I am not. My son has a business relationship with IU. That is it. I do however have more respect for those who want to do rather than those that want to not do. Thus the reason I posted what you quoted. I wonder what response you would get if you actually did email the coaches and voiced your concern? It may lead to a tangible conversation as to where you made a difference in the program. An idea that perhaps Goldman, in his 25+ years of coaching never thought of. But to sit behind a keyboard and slash people who will never get on a forum such as this and defend themselves, I take exception to. That is it.

To echo the words of Dingo, we all want IU to be a powerhouse program. We have different ways of expressing it. But we want it nevertheless.

Smooth, I am assuming you have read the entire thread. If so, you would see how this has escalated to basically me saying stop complaining and actually DO something about it. I take personally anyone who hides behind a screen name and tries to destroy the credibility of another man, regardless who that man is. I don't owe Goldman or SIMMONS or Pascoe a thing. People think I am vested in the program? I am not. My son has a business relationship with IU. That is it. I do however have more respect for those who want to do rather than those that want to not do. Thus the reason I posted what you quoted. I wonder what response you would get if you actually did email the coaches and voiced your concern? It may lead to a tangible conversation as to where you made a difference in the program. An idea that perhaps Goldman, in his 25+ years of coaching never thought of. But to sit behind a keyboard and slash people who will never get on a forum such as this and defend themselves, I take exception to. That is it.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree because I have never called anyone out by name.  I haven't used any negative words toward a specific person. As a consumer, I don't have to "take action". If they want to pay me $125,000, then it can become my responsibility.  

Salary found here since he's a public employee:  http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/2015/03/11/indiana-university-purdue-ball-state-iupui-ipfw-indiana-state-ncaa-finances-tom-crean/24662029/

It seems like you are okay with IU being the 11-12th best program in the Big 10.  So this banter is useless.   

Smooth I wasn't speaking to you about attacking when you joined the fray. That's why I stated that I assumed you have read how we got to this point in the thread. And no I am not "ok" with where we are at. I wish we could be where Penn State is today. Or Okie state, the list goes on and on.

My main point is the way people feel the need to attack a program fighting to become relevant again. I have seen the power of a community effort first hand. And while some of my remarks on this thread were in fact passive aggressive, I truly mean it when I say you can help the program. I hail from California where they are closing programs down yearly (west coast). Grand Canyon University just closed shop last week. Cal state Bakersfield was on that very list a few years back. The community rallied behind the coach and we were able to save the program (with big help from Stephen Neal). And while my roll was minimal in it, I was a part of it and it made a difference. I can assure you that Goldman would not turn down help in most any form as long as it helped the program. Being in the B1G I can assure you there are plenty of people who support the program but don't know how to do it. I can also assure you simply stating your dissatisfied on a public forum won't do a thing. So why not take action? Why not help the change you and others call for? What is holding you back?

I have had fun guys. Made my point several different ways and none of them have been taken the way I had hoped. I appreciate the fact that we all want IU to be great. I see the changes myself in he last two years specifically so maybe I see the cup half full. In the end, it's a program moving forward. Hopefully this time next year I can say "see, I told you so".

Take care,

Jeff Martin

Guru, don;t waste your time on this with him who is tied to the staff.  He has defended every action that Goldman and Simmons have taken over the years and his comment is to reach out and talk to them so you are part of the program.    IU most recent successful wrestler publicly state that he wrestled his style and that Goldman and Simmons did not have much input in his game plan. (By the way I do not this wrestler was recruited by Simmons or Goldman but by Joe D.)  looks like that east coast channel for wrestlers is now closed

Good news, out of the office of Indiana's, director of athletics. A new volleyball/wrestling facility is finally a reality of getting done. This was talked about e few years ago, but funding finally happened. Will be built on campus on the corner of Fee and 17th st. I am sure this will help in the recruiting area of Indiana's programs for both Wrestling and V-ball. This is Fred Glass's First step in making the wrestling program better. More improvements to come. Stay tuned.

Funny, "lets turn this place into a parking lot". That is exactly what is going to happen with Indiana's Universiy gym.