Nick Lee Techs Elliott Molloy

Huskie70

Though I was suprised how dominant Lee was against Molloy, Molloy is much, much better on his feet then on the mat, and from what I have seen prefers to go neutral over bottom. I didn't see this match but I assume Lee exposed Molloy on bottom. I'm excited about the Lee/Red match but I don't see the Molloy/Lee match as a gauge at all. Maybe if Lee played takedown let em up, but either way, it was impressive.

Good comparison!  Although, Manny was at the end or even out of his prime when they fought.

I guess the same could be said for Floyd as it was his second to last fight and signs of age began to show. Either way I'm extremely excited and intrigued by this match as I was for the aforementioned matchup.

Lee was a freshman wrestling a nationally ranked Micic. Give Lee props for going after him but you had a nationally ranked wrestler who was three years older (that is a big physical difference at those ages) . Red is only one year older than Lee with no real physical advantage. I look for a very good match. If you want to be a 4-time champion then this is what it is about. You have to beat back all challengers and I think the whole state appreciates Lee dropping a class from last year to go after Red. If Red wins, he will have definately cemented his legacy. if he loses then he will still go down as one of the best wrestlers in Indiana history.

As far as the best 4-timer. I would go with Escobedo. He did beat some very good wrestlers who did not dodge him (Macke) and went on to have an outstanding collegiate career. Jason Tsirtsis would be right there also but I do not think he faced the same level of talent as Escobedo in High School (feel free to disagree).

Red is on school year older but I believe they are the same age. The year they won at Fargo they were both second year cadets.

Lee took him down several times easy (looked easy to me, obviously he's just highly skilled) and turned him one or two times. Can't remember exactly.

Couldn't have taken him down several times if Molloy only scored one point or am I missing something?

Lee took him down several times easy (looked easy to me, obviously he's just highly skilled) and turned him one or two times. Can't remember exactly.

Couldn't have taken him down several times if Molloy only scored one point or am I missing something?

Lee - Takedown & back points twice

Molloy - escape

Lee - Takedown & rideout

2nd Period 

Lee takedown if Molloy chose neutral + more back points

More back points

Not sure that's how it actually went, but that's a way he could have taken him down 3x in a period and a half and still tech falled him w/ only 1 pt for Molloy

Datdude---I know they are about the same age (maybe exactly for all I know). That is my point that physically they are at the same development level. There was a big difference when Micic and Lee wrestled (in their physical development). Its just really tough for a freshman to physically match up with a senior, much less a senior as solid as Micic.

Datdude---I know they are about the same age (maybe exactly for all I know). That is my point that physically they are at the same development level. There was a big difference when Micic and Lee wrestled (in their physical development). Its just really tough for a freshman to physically match up with a senior, much less a senior as solid as Micic.

Agreed... I do however think it will be a similar type match as Micic-Lee. Good position and scores off of Lee's aggressiveness. Although I dont think it will be as lopsided. 7-4 Red

Nick Lee won the IMHPO as a 7th grader.  I don't think physical development was the issue w/ Micic.  Maybe it was.  I just think it was a stylistic match up that didn't favor Nick that day.  

If I were to guess, the whole kids staying close with Red and not with Lee is probably of mixture of Red's boredom due to his dominance and also having a target on him being #1 in the country. I agree with the style match up. Red's defense is unbelievable (see OPRF combine with Dardanes on flo) and I don't see him getting taken down, but maybe once in this match and as high scoring as it should be I bet that won't be the difference. All this coming from a guy who picked Lee over Micic 2 years ago, so don't assume I'm a hater. 

"Kids" aren't staying close.  Welliever stayed within 7-2.  His other 9 matches in the state series are 6 first period pins and 3 techs--5 of the pins in under 15 seconds.

I agree with that. It has just been mentioned that since Lee demolished Molloy and Red stayed relatively close with him last year and now Welliever, that somehow that justifies Lee beating Red. Again, my pick is Red after watching him in the off-season and Lee not having the benefit of wrestling the entire season (not that he'll have much mat rust). Although I'm sure neither of them care nor want my opinion, and I'm cool with that, I just can't wait to watch it (assuming it happens that way).

I agree with that. It has just been mentioned that since Lee demolished Molloy and Red stayed relatively close with him last year and now Welliever, that somehow that justifies Lee beating Red. Again, my pick is Red after watching him in the off-season and Lee not having the benefit of wrestling the entire season (not that he'll have much mat rust). Although I'm sure neither of them care nor want my opinion, and I'm cool with that, I just can't wait to watch it (assuming it happens that way).

I get that you are picking Red, but those that think Lee beating Molloy like that makes him more likely to beat Red are wrong imo. Could Lee win? Yeah. But transitive property doesnt work in wrestling, otherwise David Taylor would be 7-0 against Kyle Dake, do to him being more dominant. Obviously thats not the case. Red against elite talent has unbelievable defense. Lee has unbelievable offense. It should be a great time for everyone watching.

I get that you are picking Red, but those that think Lee beating Molloy like that makes him more likely to beat Red are wrong imo. Could Lee win? Yeah. But transitive property doesnt work in wrestling, otherwise David Taylor would be 7-0 against Kyle Dake, do to him being more dominant. Obviously thats not the case. Red against elite talent has unbelievable defense. Lee has unbelievable offense. It should be a great time for everyone watching.

Well played!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.