Semi state wrestle backs?

ontherise219

I would support an increase to 5 kids per semi state qualifying. Every year there are cases of 2 deserving kids wrestling in the ticket round. If you keep the current set up of making the semi finals guarantees a top 4 finsh, it will reward the ticket round upsets. Then you wreslte back to 5th and give the kids with a tough draw an opportunity to earn the last qualifying spot.

Tony Currie

I could live with this!!!  You get 4th or 5th you really have to fight your way back.  Actually I would say it gives the 4th or 5th placer a better chance at beating the number 1 placer because they would have that first match out of the way.

I love the ticket round.  Not much compares to it.  To me it's as exciting as the state finals, mostly because so many kids get to be part of it.  I wouldn't want to lose it.  Wrestle backs to 5th to qualify still allows the opportunity for "good draws" while giving "bad draws" another chance they deserve.

I love the ticket round.  Not much compares to it.  To me it's as exciting as the state finals, mostly because so many kids get to be part of it.  I wouldn't want to lose it.  Wrestle backs to 5th to qualify still allows the opportunity for "good draws" while giving "bad draws" another chance they deserve.

I love the excitement of the ticket round also.  But I personally have been affected by the lack of wrestle backs and I have helped coach way too many heart broken kids that should have made the trip to State. 

Every state has a ticket round,  Its just not in the first round like Indiana.  I've been to 5 other state championships and they're ticket rounds are  just as exciting as Indiana's.  

Can we go back and see what the presentations were for wrestle backs in the years past to see if we can add to them or improve on them? Not assuming they were bad just wanting to see them.

I know one year there was a big presentation of all the examples where a highly ranked wrestler (sometimes undefeated) randomly drew another highly ranked wrestler (sometimes with only 1 loss at Regionals and not from an upset).  As compelling as that presentation was, it still didn't change the IHSAA's mind about what they think is right or fair.

I know one year there was a big presentation of all the examples where a highly ranked wrestler (sometimes undefeated) randomly drew another highly ranked wrestler (sometimes with only 1 loss at Regionals and not from an upset).  As compelling as that presentation was, it still didn't change the IHSAA's mind about what they think is right or fair.

Unless we are missing something taking 5 to State may be a great idea.  It may have been explored before but I am not sure.  This would be something they have allowed before at the Semi-State level and would bring more attendance to State which brings more money.  The logistics of adding another round at the beginning of State would need to be explored.  Maybe we do round one of the 5 vs 4 then round two we do 2 vs 3 first then 1 vs (winner of 5 v 4) to give time for recovery.

the problem is the IHSAA compares wrestling to other individual sports.  They have been quoted as saying how many times do you get to lose and move on... track, swimming, cross country, tennis,and golf you lose and your done.... so they really don't have sympathy for the wrestling community and the wrestle back thing. 

I do know that the state finals got changed so that you can earn your spot for 5th, it use to be that the only way to get to go for 5th was you had to lose in the quarter finals to someone who made it to the finals.  If you lost in quarters and then the person who beat you lost in semis best you could do was 7th. 

It's not true that the other individual sports don't allow you to lose.  All of the sports you mention except for tennis allow you to not be the winner and still advance.  We have to do a better job of helping the IHSAA understand that not having wrestle backs in wrestling is like dividing swimmers or track runners into heats and taking the top 2 per heat to state, no matter their times.  That wouldn't be fair and neither is our random draw system.

I have had to explain to a few out of state college coaches recently that Indiana does not have a classed system or wrestle backs in the tourney at any point.  They just don't understand either concept very well.  What they really can't believe is that our Friday night is a one and done and no wrestle backs and that losing in the semi final means you are third at best......    

It's not true that the other individual sports don't allow you to lose.  All of the sports you mention except for tennis allow you to not be the winner and still advance.  We have to do a better job of helping the IHSAA understand that not having wrestle backs in wrestling is like dividing swimmers or track runners into heats and taking the top 2 per heat to state, no matter their times.  That wouldn't be fair and neither is our random draw system.

Correct.  We have to frame our argument better.

It's not true that the other individual sports don't allow you to lose. All of the sports you mention except for tennis allow you to not be the winner and still advance. We have to do a better job of helping the IHSAA understand that not having wrestle backs in wrestling is like dividing swimmers or track runners into heats and taking the top 2 per heat to state, no matter their times. That wouldn't be fair and neither is our random draw system.

Very true

I'm guessing this has already been covered, but it seems a united front both in the presentation, but agreement in what is the best way to go about adding wrestlebacks.  On here, it seems like everyone tosses out different ideas.  I kind of like the idea of taking top 5 from SS to state and having 4 vs. 5s wrestle the first round.  

Is it important to present the best/most agreed upon proposal for the sport?  Or is it important to present the idea that has the best chance to pass, in hopes that it can be improved later, once the door is open?  I'm thinking the only other option is to go the Ray Donovan route and offer a bagful of money or the threat of putting one of the board members in a spladle?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.