Will FWSS produce a State Champion this year?

BrennanFan

so who do you guys think are true contenders coming out of ft. wayne?

Brayden Curtis/Tanner DeMien at 106?

Glogouski/Langeloh/ maybe Hunt at 120? I don't see any of them beating Hildebrandt, but I could be wrong.

Sage Coy at 138 has a good shot.

Brad Laughlin at 145 has a solid chance. I think he will have a tough time with the Leo kid at semi state though.

Cael McCormick at 152? Personally I don't think he is athletic enough to hang with Lawrence. Cael is definitely a contender though.

Jacob Gray/Baumgartner at 170? can they hang with Hughes?

so who do you guys think are true contenders coming out of ft. wayne?

Brayden Curtis/Tanner DeMien at 106?

Glogouski/Langeloh/ maybe Hunt at 120? I don't see any of them beating Hildebrandt, but I could be wrong.

Sage Coy at 138 has a good shot.

Brad Laughlin at 145 has a solid chance. I think he will have a tough time with the Leo kid at semi state though.

Cael McCormick at 152? Personally I don't think he is athletic enough to hang with Lawrence. Cael is definitely a contender though.

Jacob Gray/Baumgartner at 170? can they hang with Hughes?

I think they are all possibilities though I have not been overly impressed with McCormick. Only a 3 point win in the semi-finals at regionals and he gives up a lot of points (scores a heck of a lot of points as well). But he is undefeated so he can't be counted out.

Eicher from Leo and Laughlin will be a great match if they meet in SS finals. Laughlin only beat Eicher by 1 last year and Eicher has something like 34 pins and 1 tech fall (in the second round of regional finals) this year.

I think they are all possibilities though I have not been overly impressed with McCormick. Only a 3 point win in the semi-finals at regionals and he gives up a lot of points (scores a heck of a lot of points as well). But he is undefeated so he can't be counted out.

Eicher from Leo and Laughlin will be a great match if they meet in SS finals. Laughlin only beat Eicher by 1 last year and Eicher has something like 34 pins and 1 tech fall (in the second round of regional finals) this year.

I guess you haven't watched Cael very much this year then! He has been probably one of the most dominant and solid wrestlers all year. Very good shot at beating Bam in my opinion

One year they had a good showing? Yes they have had some very good state champions and wrestlers, but overall have had the least champions and final four wrestlers than any other semi-state on a consistent basis. Last year, year before.....?

The fact that this thread was even started is saying something about the FW semi-state,

For 30 years many coaches in the Region area have commented about going through the Fort Wayne opposed to Merrillville SS so they could qualify more kids to the state tournament.  To answer your question about this year or always, I believe that with very few exceptions the Fort Wayne SS is and has always been the weakest SS in Indiana.      

During my 4 years as a high school wrestler 1984-87 the Carroll Regional alone produced 8 State champions. 42 times during this 4 year period a Fort Wayne SS wrestler finished under the lights. That is 42/104 possible, a staggering 40.4% . Yes this was a long long time ago but it was pure domination!

who did you watch him wrestle against?

I watched him at the Mooresville holiday tournament tear everyone up, his closest match coming to Troy Owen which was 7-0. He beat 2 state ranked kids there very handedly, as well as I watched him vs Carrender from LN and beat him 19-9, so the times I've seen him he has looked like the best wrestler in the state at his weight. Edited by Confchamp32

Hope FWSS does rise because it is good for all of us. And although I have doubts that it will produce a state champion this year, I would have had doubts that a boy from Fairfield would have had a now three time state champ on his back screaming in pain for the ref to stop the match under the lights...BUT that happened a couple of years ago!!! No other semi-state has produced a wrestler that has done that! So you got that goin for ya

Hope FWSS does rise because it is good for all of us. And although I have doubts that it will produce a state champion this year, I would have had doubts that a boy from Fairfield would have had a now three time state champ on his back screaming in pain for the ref to stop the match under the lights...BUT that happened a couple of years ago!!! No other semi-state has produced a wrestler that has done that! So you got that goin for ya

You are exactly right, if he doesn't get that knee injury the outcome is completely different, and then what would we have to talk about?

Edited by barrydjr

You are exactly right, if he doesn't fake that knee injury the outcome is completely different, and then what would we have to talk about?

If you actually go back and watch the match it was not a knee injury that stopped the match, it was a very late potentially dangerous call that stopped it. This provided an injury to Red that happened because of how high his knee was torqued, as well as he wasn't going to his back when it was called, so you have your facts wrong sir, that did not change the outcome in the slightest Edited by Confchamp32

1.) if the match wasnt stopped, we "might" be talking about one state champ as opposed to a competively high percentage of state champs from FWSS.

2.) if you watch that match on youtube, he was on his back when it was stopped.

3.) IMHO, if Red tries any funk against Lee or gets out of position like he did two years ago, he could very well get caught and not get back up.

These are not slams against any of the wrestlers, just observations. They are both obviously great wrestlers with great futures ahead. I like others hope they meet in the finals unlike Vega and Schaeffer did. I dont know if anyone but Old Region Fan rembers that match, but those were two greats that had successful college careers also. While that match seemed a little cautious, i think there will be fireworks when Lee and Red meet!!!!!

1.) if the match wasnt stopped, we "might" be talking about one state champ as opposed to a competively high percentage of state champs from FWSS.

2.) if you watch that match on youtube, he was on his back when it was stopped.

3.) IMHO, if Red tries any funk against Lee or gets out of position like he did two years ago, he could very well get caught and not get back up.

These are not slams against any of the wrestlers, just observations. They are both obviously great wrestlers with great futures ahead. I like others hope they meet in the finals unlike Vega and Schaeffer did. I dont know if anyone but Old Region Fan rembers that match, but those were two greats that had successful college careers also. While that match seemed a little cautious, i think there will be fireworks when Lee and Red meet!!!!!

my only problem with this argument is that Red has literally already beaten the best of the best. so the argument that once he wrestles someone like Lee, he may not get back up... i just don't buy it. especially after what Red did and who he beat in the offseason

my only problem with this argument is that Red has literally already beaten the best of the best. so the argument that once he wrestles someone like Lee, he may not get back up... i just don't buy it. especially after what Red did and who he beat in the offseason

One way or the other, you still have to wrestle the matches. Otherwise we can just hand out the metals now according to the rankings and predictions...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.