If this happened in Indiana..

Y2CJ41

NEVER have I seen such a blatant DIVE taken before until this... totally agree with the slam call which was in a previous match, that apparently green received the win on a DQ as well.   But in this later match, when green rakes the eyes, and the official calls it, there's no reaction at all by the red wrestler. Doesn't grab his eye, face,... nothing.  He calmly adjusts his head gear as he comes to the middle of the mat. Then all of a sudden, as he's looking towards his corner, he requests recovery time.   IMHO classless acts by ALL involved.  I hope the PIAA (Pennsylvania's version of the IHSAA) reviews that video and does any additional reprimanding beyond the coaches and all mixing it up.   Very sad for wrestling period.

Edited by HolsteinKing

NEVER have I seen such a blatant DIVE taken before until this... totally agree with the slam call which was in a previous match, that apparently green received the win on a DQ as well.   But in this later match, when green rakes the eyes, and the official calls it, there's no reaction at all by the red wrestler. Doesn't grab his eye, face,... nothing.  He calmly adjusts his head gear as he comes to the middle of the mat. Then all of a sudden, as he's looking towards his corner, he requests recovery time.   IMHO classless acts by ALL involved.  I hope the PIAA (Pennsylvania's version of the IHSAA) reviews that video and does any additional reprimanding beyond the coaches and all mixing it up.   Very sad for wrestling period.

I saw some good dives at the FWSS over the last decade.

abc27.com has pretty good video footage of some of it as well

Here is the video

http://abc27.com/2016/02/06/district-wrestling-championship-ends-in-controversy/

I can't believe the coach didn't get dinged for unsportsmanlike or taunting for that chicken dance he did.

Here is the video

http://abc27.com/2016/02/06/district-wrestling-championship-ends-in-controversy/

I can't believe the coach didn't get dinged for unsportsmanlike or taunting for that chicken dance he did.

Here is the video

^^^that's what I thought

Here is the video

I noticed that as well, and another coach yelling over to the opposing team, and finally the kid flashing the "three" to the opposing crowd... the walk was clearly before the book was signed. His own bright idea would backfired in his face.  I hope the PIAA suspends him at least one match if not the rest of the season.

Edited by HolsteinKing

I noticed that as well, and another coach yelling over to the opposing team, and finally the kid flashing the "three" to the opposing crowd... the walk was clearly before the book was signed. His own bright idea would backfired in his face.  I hope the PIAA suspends him at least one match if not the rest of the season.

If I were his AD --- that coach might be looking for a new job.

It looks liked the one coach and the school system has "mutually agreed" to suspend himself from the state dual tournament this weekend

http://highschoolsports.pennlive.com/news/article/6870743447486543142/cumberland-valleys-dave-heckard-announces-he-will-not-coach-at-piaa-team-championships/

I'd hope my sons have enough character to do the right thing in a situation like this. Even if the coach was telling him to say he couldn't go on - this could have been one of those character-defining moments for the kid if he would have stood up to the coach and said he didn't want to win/lose that way. The story certainly would have been completely changed then. I still remember at the New Castle semistate when the McCloskey kid was illegally slammed by one of the Keiffer brothers. He could have won the match because of the slam, but instead he chose to continue, and then injury default so Keiffer could still go on in the state tournament. That was pure class. 

Edited by grappleapple

I'd hope my sons have enough character to do the right thing in a situation like this. Even if the coach was telling him to say he couldn't go on - this could have been one of those character-defining moments for the kid if he would have stood up to the coach and said he didn't want to win/lose that way. The story certainly would have been completely changed then. I still remember at the New Castle semistate when the McCloskey kid was illegally slammed by one of the Keiffer brothers. He could have won the match because of the slam, but instead he chose to continue, and then injury default so Keiffer could still go on in the state tournament. That was pure class.

I remember that match. Classy kid

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.