The IHSAA and damage done

decbell1

Another big reason the team state series wasn't supported in the end by the IHSAA was the lack of interest at the lower levels. Many host sites not only reported almost zero attendamce, but also the issue with teams bringing JV squads or 1/2 a team of they were going to be beaten. Many host schools were refusing to host again because of the presumed lack of interest. It wasn't all about the money the ADs lost, but also about not wanting to host a on event that has zero interest.

I myself never made it to team state. We had good teams but always got knocked out by Beech Grove at sectional or Cathedral at Regional. I never once thought "If our sectional wasn't so good..." or "If the draws were different.....". We got beat. Didnt matter if it was the first round of the tournament series or the finals at Team State. We weren't as good as we needed to be. In Track and Field, we always had BD in our sectional. It was so close every year for the team a score. They usually beat us. Individually I got to move on. But we didn't win because we just weren't good enough. Can't complain. And, Track and Field operates similarly to wrestling. Team champs determined by an individual tournament. Yes we had Dual meets during the year. But in the end, the success of our team in the State Tournament Series depended on our individual performances. Didn't matter what our seed was, what heat we were in, etc. Perform or don't.

Lastly, it is rather suspect that when the team scoring ended at Individual State, the association still kept team score "the old fashioned way" even though they now a had a true team format. Now we go back, and the association says we still need a true team format. Pick what you don't like, and stick to it. The IHSAA will not flip flop.

The IHSAA will not flip flop.

The IHSAA does flip flop. When team state first started, the coaches association asked if they could keep the individual score. The IHSAA said yes. Then years later used that in their reasons to drop it. There are many discrepancies with IHSAA rulings, decisions, and information. Anyone that has tried to track weight loss plans and Sectional seeding has seen it. The people in charge of our sport don't understand our sport. They've never wrestled or coached wrestling. And it's unfortunate that they refuse to listen to any suggestions that aren't their own ideas. The coaches association can propose anything they want, but if the IHSAA hasn't already decided to do it, then it will get voted down 0-18.

Not just that event.  SIAC tournament was WAYYY down on attendance.  Normally the lower level on the score table side is packed.  Could have sat there or laid out and taken a nap.

Agreed, but attendance was hurt because of the snow and two hour delay. Another part of the problem was the lack of competitiveness. After castle and md, only a distant third.

Maybe I'm off base here, but is the way to get at the IHSAA through the coaching association? Wouldn't it be better to get a foot hold in with members of the board of directors and the executive committee? These are folks that come from our high schools correct? Maybe if we started by getting those officials interested at the local level in wrestling something could be moved forward. Maybe not starting out with a team state, maybe start out where they are interested (say dual matches). Maybe the wrestling coaches could compromise by doing more duals and ask for a concession like having dual matches only count as half a point, or get more points for the season. Move towards a better relationship by having champions on the board or executive committees. If coaches could get those folks to dual matches (and the teams make it fun) they could see the potential in the sport. Just my two cents and maybe not good money, but seems like the IHSWCA,  this board and the IHSAA can't get on the same page. Maybe instead of it being everyone butting heads, you all could bring it all together.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.