How much longer are we going to go on like this?

decbell1

My point was not on recruiting, my point was on potential talent pool.  

How many Parochial schools are in a rural area more than 30 miles from a real urban center?

There are a lot of advantages from economic, to support structures, etc. in urban areas that have an impact here.

That said, Mater Dei is still exceptional.  Some parochial schools have terrible wrestling programs.  There is obviously a long standing tradition at MD and solid coaching that helps maintain a high profile program.

I still say that it would be much more difficult to maintain in a true, Rural 1A school system.  No real way to know, so I can only speculate.

This is why most rural area schools arent able to reload year in and year out, parochial or not. Top number are usually 20-25, while most seasons are 15-20.  Now take into consideration grades, injuries, quitting and multiple kids at same weight class and you can see why having a pool of 25-40+ kids is a huge advantage. 

I get the feeling the football coach discourages wrestling at LCC, and football is everything at that school.   But its a shame they cant put out an average team.   They're very competitive at most sports except for wrestling.  Its kind of sad. 

But to the point,  Ive been around and seen a lot of wrestlng and its typical to see very good parochial  wrestling programs.  The main advantage is the ability to attract good kids from a large area.  Mater Dei does a great job at what they do,  and they exploit there advantage in drawing good young kids to their program and developing them. 

Please explain this.  Every member of the team grew up wrestling in the MD feeder program.

Mater Dei recruits, plain and simple.

Now before the torches are outside my house, let me explain. In order for MD to exist and pay their bills they must recruit students into the school. If they don't have a good product, meaning education and extracurricular activities it makes it harder to get those students. It is exponentially easier to get students when you have parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc that went through the school and had great experiences. Don't think for a second they aren't sending info the local (feeder)elementary schools and churches about the benefits of going to MD.

Mater Dei recruits, plain and simple.

Now before the torches are outside my house, let me explain. In order for MD to exist and pay their bills they must recruit students into the school. If they don't have a good product, meaning education and extracurricular activities it makes it harder to get those students. It is exponentially easier to get students when you have parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc that went through the school and had great experiences. Don't think for a second they aren't sending info the local elementary schools and churches about the benefits of going to MD.

By local elementary schools I assume you mean THEIR feeder schools?

Yes, even if they are in their feeder schools there is no guarantee they will go to high school there.

P.S. I corrected it in the original post.

My daughter is an 8th grader at one of the MD feeder schools.  She has about 30 kids in her class.  All but a handful are going to MD.  I think she said maybe 5 are going to Reitz or Signature School.  

Not all are open enrollment, Carroll and Homestead are not in this area.

The open enrollment dynamic has maybe helped  good programs close   the  "open enrollment" advantage parochial schools have always had.     If you develop a program, kids transfer albeit during both MS and HS or even elementary.     One example I always use of taking advantage of open enrollment is St Paris Graham in Ohio.   Everybody wants to wrestle for coach Jordan.   They would never be perennial national title contenders with just the small amount of kids in the small St Paris school district.   He takes raw talent and make it great, but the raw talent might be driving a long way to get there.  A great chef makes food better, but he still has to start with good ingredients. 

For schools like Carroll to maintain there high level of wrestling without this advantage,  they must do it through superior coaching and motivation.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

That's because there are less schools with soccer than wrestling.

I believe, based on the numbers provided, they are actually similar. There are approximately 300 boys soccer programs that competed in the sectionals this past year.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the Iowa High School Championships on TV last night (after our state finals) wrestling on 3 mats, screen showed all 3 matches at the same time. Just seemed weird when they handed out the medals (top 8) introducing each class (1, 2, 3) separately. Have to wonder could the 8th place of 1A have beaten everyone in the 2A class etc...? Maybe it would have seemed not so different to me if each class wrestled at a different site.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.