Jeffersonville Regionals

SomeGuy

I like East in the tournament format with their top guys being so good. JC as a dual team and in a smaller tournament I think is more dangerous because their lineup top to bottom is tough as nails. With so many other teams added in it can hurt a team like JC while East has those top tier guys scoring big points. Just my opinion and I have been wrong once before. It was a bad day

Great additions RichardMowery.

navy80 keep in mind the depth of the 285 class. I bet only winner of this Regional makes it out (Sutton or Galligar).

Honestly if sutton does actually beat Galligar this time I'd still bet money Galligar makes it out.

There is no doubt in my mind that Chandler can get to state. He has wrestled Great all season. Also I think the way Fuller throws he always has a shot at going.

Chandler should as long as he doesn't draw Whitaker/van horn

MattM. I was not trying to piss anyone off. Just stating a fact. A few good wrestlers from that regional, I agree, but past DATA means nothing. It is a very weak regional. Put those kids anywhere else in the state and over half ;isted don't even get out of sectional!!!

MattM. I was not trying to piss anyone off. Just stating a fact. A few good wrestlers from that regional, I agree, but past DATA means nothing. It is a very weak regional. Put those kids anywhere else in the state and over half ;isted don't even get out of sectional!!!

That's hysterical Edited by RichardMowery

Since Ihsaa realignment in 2013 this regionals State numbers.

8 Qualifiers last year (3 placers)  Bloomington had 4, Castle had 18 and Mooresville 26

8 Qualifiers in 2014 (5 placers)   Bloomington had 8, Castle had 17 and Mooresville 22

6 Qualifiers in 2013 (1 placer)    Bloomington had 12, Castle had 17, and Mooresville 21

3.5% of all State Qualifiers in a 3 year span

2.6% of all State Placers in a 3 year span.

Not saying it is the weakest  but It has produced the fewest state qualifiers the 3 years out of the Evansville SS.

Edited by R. Kendrick

Since Ihsaa realignment in 2013 this regionals State numbers.

8 Qualifiers last year (3 placers) Bloomington had 4, Castle had 18 and Mooresville 26

8 Qualifiers in 2014 (5 placers) Bloomington had 8, Castle had 17 and Mooresville 22

6 Qualifiers in 2013 (1 placer) Bloomington had 12, Castle had 17, and Mooresville 21

3.5% of all State Qualifiers in a 3 year span

2.6% of all State Placers in a 3 year span.

Not saying it is the weakest but It has produced the fewest state qualifiers the 3 years out of the Evansville SS.

Well for one he did say "weakest sectional in state," not just our part of the state. So your sample size is a little small from what his remarks were about and my response was explaining.  Besides, based on your numbers Jeffersonville and Bloomington state qualifiers are basically equal over the last 3 years.  So by using those numbers Evansville's semi-state has the two weakest regional in the state and since that half the semi-state it would seem to imply Evansville semi-state must not be very strong.  I don't believe that to be true at all. 

If you look at the data over the past few years Jeffersonville Regional falls in the mid-range of for Regional depth. While that data is heavy on state qualification it also takes into account a few more factors which help provide a better look at each Regional past few years and current depth. No one is claiming Jeffersonville's Regional should be considered one of the top in state, but to claim it's the "weakest in the state" is far from correct.

Also, the thing with using just state placers number to determine regional strength within our own semi-state is that the regional all "eat each other" because of the blind draw and the no wrestle-back ticket round of semi-state.  Meaning top guys from one regional eliminate a very solid wrestler from another regional who would have also had the potential to place in state.  Example a Castle Regional guy eliminated a very likely additional Mooresville state placers in Brayton Lee.  In years the Evansville semi-state is exceptionally this type situation could like this occurs a few times making it a little harder to just relying on state placer data when trying to determine how strong the regional around the state are.  

Or in years where one team got multiple state placers, but no other team from that regional even qualified for state, someone would be hard pressed to call that regional one of the strongest just based on state placer.  Sure the regional has some studs, but if they are all from one team that is more a sign of team strength than regional strength.  Sure, state placement can be a solid indicator of team or area strength, but it may not paint the entire picture.  

Using state qualification/placement combined with a few other useful factors looks to be the best indicator we currently have available of overall regional depth.  If someone is capable of looking past just the highest peaks (state qualifiers, placers, or just what Regional has the top tier team) the data shows the Jeffersonville Regional falls in the middle of the states Regional in terms of depth. While that depth is not as strong as Mooresville or Castles Regional (currently two of the deepest in the state) to me the information does not justify Jeffersonville's Regional being called the "weakest in the state" this year or in the last few years.

Sorry if this sounds a little defensive (it's early in the morning), but I never understand someone (old school or anyone else) would want to talk down an area or a team. There are plenty of things that can be help up as postives, rather than gravitating to a negative jab when nothing really warrants going there.

Edited by MattM

So apparently you all are worried about Champs guess what they don't win the Championship the third and forths do. "swae to god they do". As for the debate for worst Regional Jeff was 100% the worst with Southrige coming to town. Now Bloomington is blessed with that stack house. Now that JC comes to town it is an upgrade like from Porky to Miss Piggy!! Now she's a hottie!!! I think it's a 2 team race JC CE and FC. No one walks away. Triple Bubble Butt the celebrity entrance is in the back you know you can follow me in as I am the most loved in the place. Always looking for a side kick. Man I Gotta go Southridge sectional is calling and wants some answers!!!

MattM,,,You just made my point. Lots of better wrestlers will be left behind at regionals, and a weaker wrestler from Jeff regional will advance. Not they are all weaker, just a lot better chance to advance to semi state, than most other regionals. Luck of the draw I guess. The best will advance from their own Regional, But that does not make for the best wrestlers competing for a place at State

MattM,,,You just made my point. Lots of better wrestlers will be left behind at regionals, and a weaker wrestler from Jeff regional will advance. Not they are all weaker, just a lot better chance to advance to semi state, than most other regionals. Luck of the draw I guess. The best will advance from their own Regional, But that does not make for the best wrestlers competing for a place at State

Your original point was Jeff had one of weakest regional in state. That been show to be false with the extensive depth data that has been compiled to help with deciding the Team State competition.

So now your new point is that some better kids from a very deep regional will get eliminated before making it to semi-state while Jeff will get some of their kids through. And that is your new logic for why Jeff is one of the "weakest regionals in the state." My previous post does not make a case to support that. In fact my point was that someone shouldn't just count only the highest variables (qualifiers, placers, top teir teams) to determine regional strength because it is not enough by itself to show a areas true depth. That data does actualtake into account that those individual advancement issues do occur and is one reason why other info is also used to strengthen the final results. But, you probably missed that point if you have no actual interest in finding out where Jeffersonville actually stacks up.

Since you want to go the top individual route though, I'll work with you in that one too. Yes, when talking about either the Mooresville or Castle Regional, who are #1 and #4 in regional depth they will have a few kids not get through that are good, but that doesn't mean the Jeff wrestlers that make it are so sub-par that they can't compete. And sure some of those eliminated wrestlers may have been able to beat out someone who did advance to semi-state from Jeff. But, if they are from Mooresville or Castle Regional then those same guys you reference would also likely have a shot to beat some semi-state qualifiers from many of the Regional below top 5 on the depth chart.

If all you are now worried about for is that Jeffersonville, being the weakest in state, may put sub-par individual guys through to semi-stare and state then I suggest that you check out the date Purple_Papa compiled In this thread about current state rankings per regional. http://indianamat.com/index.php/topic/49583-toughest-regional/#entry220913 I'd much rather look at it from an overall depth perspective l, but if you want to focus on just the highest variables of each regional his charts focus on just that. Those individual rankings figures also puts Jeffersonville in the mid-range of the Regionals for this current year. Although the actual results may not pan out exactly as the rankings show, our Ranking Coordinater has proven to be exceptionally accurate in recent years for identifying state placers. So if a wrestler is on his top 20 list they have proven to be more than capable of placing at state, although sometimes the draw mat eliminate them early. Thus inthe top indidivual department it would seem Jeffersonvilles Regional has enough talent to be in the mid-range or Regionals this season. The data seems to indicate the Jeffersonville Regional is not going to putting out a sub-par individuals thst may under preform at the next level. They will donkey fine even if they are in place of some Castle or Mooresville Regional guy who didn't make it through.

Yes Jeff depth is at least step below Mooresville and Castle, but currently so is most of the state too. All the regionals not in the top 5 can't be considered "one of the weakest in the state, " can they? So, referencing the superior depth of two of the states top Regionals has little bearing on your original claim that Jeffersonville is one of the "weakest Regional in the state." But at least you are persistent rather than just saying you may be mistaken or realizing it was unnecessary to say that to begin with. If you want you can follow this up with another avenue. However, since more than one set of stats have now show your claim to be off base I'm not sure any further debate is necessary on my part.

There should be some quality wrestling tomorrow at Jeff from several different teams and individuals. And out Jeff should be some solid wrestlers who have proven they are more than capable of preforming well at semi-state and state.

Edited by MattM

I picked all but 5 of the semi state qualifiers.. Just noticed no bullock on the final results.  I missed 1 at 132, 160, 182, 195, and HWT pretty solid

106: Rooks Beasley Antunez Rose

113: Schoenegge Craig Hallseen Wells

120: Rooks, Peetz, Stein Pengegar

126: Frankin Combest South Butz

132: Sellmer Bullock Pollitt Ferraro

138: Dowell, Johnson, Wathen, Foster

145: Crowl, Davidson, Beineke, Day

152: Herrin, Hauser, Klienhenz, Wilkerson

160: Chandler, Smith, Chapman, Stikes

170: Fuller, Coy, Mosley, Diewert

182: Sonner, Dial, Smith, Goode,

195: Redmond, Philpot, Bicknell, Craig

220: Long Sorg Barger Cain

285: Galligar, Sutton, Griffin, Robinson

Edited by whambam130

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.