Any chance of this..?

KyleM

Any chance the IHSAA would be willing to take a page out of the NCAA finals book, and change up the order of the state finals under the lights? The last few years the NCAA has done this, usually having the most anticipated match, being the last match of the night. I would bet that the heavierweights might appreciate this as well, because half the crowd would not already be gone for the big fellas..

Thoughts..?

It is allowed in tournament format. However, I believe the wording says that the event must run based on that weight order the entire day. So that would be a little more shuffling than just a finals rearrangement. I don't see the IHSAA doing this though since they may feel it puts more emphasis on certain individuals (even if it is due) than trying to respect all state finalists for their accomplishments.

It is allowed in tournament format. However, I believe the wording says that the event must run based on that weight order the entire day. So that would be a little more shuffling than just a finals rearrangement. I don't see the IHSAA doing this though since they may feel it puts more emphasis on certain individuals (even if it is due) than trying to respect all state finalists for their accomplishments.

Have they not seen how small the crowd gets for the last 2, sometimes 3 matches?

If you are correct, wouldn't that logic stand the same for dual meets that a weight is randomly picked. If we are trying to boater, promote, or advertise the sport......I can only see great things from doing it. Main events with Nicki Dubes!

As much as I would love to see the match under the lights, I disagree with manipulating the brackets. Have to stick with the system or you are opening up a HUGE can of worms. 

That would be bad to change something,  "because that's the way we've always done it".   And that's a good reason not to change.   But of course if it works in other states, then it doesn't mean it will work in Indiana.

That would be bad to change something, "because that's the way we've always done it". And that's a good reason not to change. But of course if it works in other states, then it doesn't mean it will work in Indiana.

Pretty sure I said I disagree with manipulating brackets. I did not say anything about keep doing the way it's been done.

Do you want to change around the rest of the brackets too? What are you going to tell the kids that were on the other side of the bracket?

The system would have to be changed so that we re-seed at each level of the tournament. You just can't decide to do it at state this year after the tournament has already started.

Edited by bwoodjc89

That was a perfect reply bwood. If the state tournament is about these two kids then why should everyone else show up??Lets just sit around for two days and enjoy the city of Indy. All show up around seven at Bankers Life and watch them go at it!!!!! This sport is a whole lot bigger than that. I truly hate what I am reading. The only PURE sport left...being tainted like the rest.

Pretty sure I said I disagree with manipulating brackets. I did not say anything about keep doing the way it's been done.

Do want to change around the rest of the brackets too? What are you going to tell the kids that were on the other side of the bracket?

The system would have to be changed so that we re-seed at each level of the tournament. You just can't decide to do it at state this year after the tournament has already started.

I'll use the Ohio method as an example. For the state tournament, they have similar 16 man brackets. But they just seed the winner of each regional, based on prior state placement. The other 3 wrestlers just follow the slot of the 1st place wredtler. Very simple and you avoid having the two top wrestlers meeting in the semis.

That was a perfect reply bwood. If the state tournament is about these two kids then why should everyone else show up??Lets just sit around for two days and enjoy the city of Indy. All show up around seven at Bankers Life and watch them go at it!!!!! This sport is a whole lot bigger than that. I truly hate what I am reading. The only PURE sport left...being tainted like the rest.

about the wisest statement I've read on here for months. To be honest this match-up has been so hyped up for years I'm not that pumped to see it. Especially how people think we should alter "the format" during the postseason. Mason vs Kobe is just as intriguing; are we going to change it around for then too?

about the wisest statement I've read on here for months. To be honest this match-up has been so hyped up for years I'm not that pumped to see it. Especially how people think we should alter "the format" during the postseason. Mason vs Kobe is just as intriguing; are we going to change it around for then too?

While I disagree with the not being pumped about the possibility of this match, I must agree with the rest. I say leave the format as it is. There's no need to make all the other wrestlers sacrificial lambs for our own expectations.

This maybe true, but neither Mason or Kobe are 3 time undefeated state champs going for a 4th.  This does not happen often so to me altering state to show how special it is, would be worthy of the accomplishment that Red has earned! 

This maybe true, but neither Mason or Kobe are 3 time undefeated state champs going for a 4th.  This does not happen often so to me altering state to show how special it is, would be worthy of the accomplishment that Red has earned! 

Why is Red so special? Didn't move the match for Alex Tsirtsis when he went for his 4th undefeated title.

Why is Red so special? Didn't move the match for Alex Tsirtsis when he went for his 4th undefeated title.

From what I understand, I don't think it is only Red whom is special. It is the Red/Lee combo. To be clear on my stance, I think moving weights is a bad idea.

The only way I think they could justify moving the weights for the finals would be to do it randomly every year. But shuffling brackets to ensure two guys meet in the finals is a terrible idea. It sends a message to the other 14 guys in the weight class that if they made it to the finals, it wouldn't be worth watching.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.