Evansville Central Sectional

SWSpectator

Who does everyone got getting out?

Mater Dei is hands down the front runner, with the addition of Mt.Vernon it will add some depth and competition to some weight classes.

The match to me that stands out is at 145, Lee vs Bethel. Lee IMO is the favorite, but we've all seen what Bethel can do knocking off Brayton Lee last year, and giving Timberman a good match as well this year.

Notables (this is obviously pre-seed but my guess at order of finish as well),

106: Egli MD

113: McKinney Princeton, Mayer MD, Dilbeck Gib So, Fisher N. Posey

120: Luigs MD, Miller N. Posey

126: Dilbeck GS, Happe MD, Gorman MV

132: Lee MD, Elpers North, Polen  Gib So

138: Jourdan MD, Burke North, Singleton Gib So (McDaniel Cen has been a no show so guess is out)

145: Lee MD, Wilson Princeton (he will get 2 seed), Bethel MV

152: Lehman MD, Baehl Gib So

160: Carr MD, O’Neal Pike Central, Coane North

170: Owens Pike Central, Gurrier Cen

182: Orth MD,

195: Wilderman MD, DeKemper MV

220: Choate MV, Boots MD, Halbig Princeton

285: Clem Gib So, Ripple MV, Libby Cen, Fleck MD

That's 9 champs for MD.

Edited by backtothemat

Early week predictions:

106: Egli, Kendall, Amento, Ziller

113: McKinney, Dilbeck, Mayer, Fisher

120: Luigs, Miller, McNeely, Flanagan

126: Dilbeck, Gorman, Happe, Rapp

132: Lee, Elpers, Keller, Polen

138: Jourdan, Singleton, Martin, Kline

145: Lee, Bethel, Wilson, Burke

152: Lehman, Keller, Baehl, Price

160: O'Neal, Carr, Malone, Dilbeck

170: Owens, Guerrier, Chandler, McDowell

182: Orth, Naylor, Hall, Hoover

195: Wilderman, Lang, Coomer, Alvey

220: Choate, Sisk, Boots, Halbig

285: Klem, Ripple, Fleck, Libby

Lee

Bethel

Wilson

Burke

All four advance to semi state. I would hate to draw any of them!!

I'm kind of surprised Burke went back up to 145 (was 3rd at conference at 138). 

He will have Lee then loser of Bethel/Wilson at this sectional.  He was a clear second at 138.  Probably 4th at 145 now. 

Oh well, that's why they actually wrestle each match.

I have to wonder about the MD line up at 113,126,160-182, and 220-285. They are not the type of line up we have seen in the past from MD.

They win the Sectional, but I can see a real possibility where it's on the strength of thirds and not bringing all champions into a regional loaded with talented kids from 106 to 285.

Let the bickering begin... But look at the performance this year and tell me you don't see what I see.

MD will have solid favorites not only at the Evv Central Sectional but also at the Castle Regional at 106, 120, 132, 138 (maybe only slight favorite here at the Regional), 145, 152, and 195.  That's half of the weight classes.  They will be hard to beat at Regional because of this.  Not unbeatable though as in past years.

I don't disagree at all with you Backtothemat.

But it's going to be a grind for everyone to make it to Semi State out of this regional this year. The Castle and Central sectionals are loaded with some great individuals. This year's regional will be the most competitive we've had in a long time from 106 to 285.

I know that this forum is EV central, but I am going to put my Castle picks as well.

EVC

106 Egli, Kendall, Amento, Morgan

113 Mckinney, Dilbeck, Fisher, Mayer

120 Luigs, Miller, Flanagan, McNeely

126 Dilbeck, Happe, Gorman, Greathouse *Princeton isn't even listed as a team in this weight class and I don't believe they have anyone*

132 Lee, Keller, Elpers, Polen

138 Jourdan, Singleton, Martin, Miller

145 Lee, Bethel, Wilson, Burke

152 Baehl, Lehman, Keller, Capps

160 Coane, O'Neal, Malone, Tasa

170 Owens, Guerrier, Malone, Chandler

182 Orth, Naylor, Hall, Hoover

195 Lang, Wilderman, Coomer, Might *Upset of the Sectional*

220 Choate, Sisk, Boots, Halbig

285 Klem, Ripple, Goff, Libby

CASTLE

106 Casebolt, Rice, Hall, Kirchgessener

113 Annakin, Horty, Overton, Yeh

120 Teague, Bealmear, Tucker, Barrett

126 Willis, Craig, Graham, Hollowell

132 Clopton, Schaeffer, Craig, Brockers

138 Ramsey, Ayer, Fehrenbacher, Brockman

145 Mcnutt, Ninke, Hawhee, Wellmeier

152 Williams, Nunn, Blair, Pemberton *Best Finals at this Sectionals*

160 Farmer, Rodgers, Folz, Pollock

170 Dowell, Garnett, Vincent, Brown

182 Mohler, McKinley, Lichtyler, Sturgeon

195 Shaw, Barclay, Gahagan, Rolley

220 Huggins, Norman, Sulawske, Garrett

285 Lofton, Hughes, Mcmanus, Ohlsen

Just My Opinion :D

I have to wonder about the MD line up at 113,126,160-182, and 220-285. They are not the type of line up we have seen in the past from MD.

They win the Sectional, but I can see a real possibility where it's on the strength of thirds and not bringing all champions into a regional loaded with talented kids from 106 to 285.

Let the bickering begin... But look at the performance this year and tell me you don't see what I see.

This is a record for BlueBolt; he got all the way to January 27 before he delivered his annual "Mater Dei ain't what they used to be" speech.  

Let's begin with the stipulation that this team does not match up to the 2003 team which had four state champs, a runner-up two thirds and a sixth.  Mater Dei has not had a team like that before, since, or likely ever again.   (Tip to Bluebolt:  This gives you grist for your next "Mater Dei is in decline" post).  This year's dual meet team is not as accomplished as last year's team; the 2015 team set an all-time MD record for points scored/dual and won the Team State Duals.  (Tip:  More grist for your "MD is in decline" post)

As far as 113,126,160-182, and 220-285 goes...as usual, you are fact deprived. In that group there are SIAC champs, a couple of likely sectional champs and maybe even a State Qualifier.  Virtually every one of those kids has beaten higher-seeded and/or ranked kids throughout the season.  The seven wrestlers you named could find a starting position on a large majority of Indiana's 300+ high school wrestling teams.

Your comments of:   "This not what i have seen in the past.  Take a look and tell me you don't see what i see", make you no less wrong.  Why?  Maybe because you do not pay attention.  Maybe because as a not-so-sly MD-hater, you are going to find a way to get in your trying-to-not-be-be-obvious-but-really-are digs in.  At the end of the day, your invective does not matter, the facts stand on their own.

This year's team consists of a couple of stars, solid wrestlers, up and comers and some guys of whom you have never heard, all of which are home-grown talent, from a school with about 270 boys.  In other words, the 2015/16 team is pretty much identical to most of the Mater Dei teams in its 66-year wrestling history.

I see Mater Dei having possibly 7-8 Regional Champions (Egli, Luigs, Lee, Jourdan, Lee, Lehman, Wilderman, Boots)

I think any team on any given year would take that many champions coming out of the Regional.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.