Wide open weight classes - IHSAA State

backtothemat

In ascending order:

132 - Red (I am assuming Lee is out, otherwise we go way down the list)

285 - Streck

160 - Cavaciu

170 - Hughes, maybe Walton (uhh... Hughes)

182 - Ryple, maybe Davison (two Nationally ranked studs)

145 - Lee, others (sorry, Lee is winning)

138 - Lee, maybe Coy, Eldred, McKinney

220 - Woods or Parris (this one will be close)

152 - Bam or Cael

126 - Hudkins, maybe Bailey

120 - Hildebrandt, several others

113 - Cummings, several others

195 - WIDE OPEN

106 - WIDER OPEN

Bring it

Edited by backtothemat

• 2 weeks later...

i think woods is a big favorite...high on the list

He's a significant favorite, but he's not an automatic choice.  He's sometimes had close matches and guys like Larson and Ellis are capable of keeping it interesting against national-level guys.  

Then there's Parris, who seems headed toward being a national-level superstar.  Young guys like him make rapid improvements and are impossible to gauge unless they're facing top guys.  There's a real possibility he's ascended to Woods' level (at least) already.   We'll find out in a couple weeks.

He's a significant favorite, but he's not an automatic choice.  He's sometimes had close matches and guys like Larson and Ellis are capable of keeping it interesting against national-level guys.  

Then there's Parris, who seems headed toward being a national-level superstar.  Young guys like him make rapid improvements and are impossible to gauge unless they're facing top guys.  There's a real possibility he's ascended to Woods' level (at least) already.   We'll find out in a couple weeks.

Parris has made some serious gains this offseason, and this is just my opinion, i could be completely wrong, but I feel like Woods is still wrestling at the level he was last season. Give me parris 3-1. 

145 is going to be a lot of fun this year. We could have several high level Red v.s. Lee type matches Saturday morning at state.

No match will be comparable to Red v.s. Lee, but I agree that there will be several high level and interesting saturday morning matches. 

In ascending order:

132 - Red (I am assuming Lee is out, otherwise we go way down the list)

285 - Streck

160 - Cavaciu

170 - Hughes, maybe Walton (uhh... Hughes)

182 - Ryple, maybe Davison (two Nationally ranked studs)

145 - Lee, others (sorry, Lee is winning)

138 - Lee, maybe Coy, Eldred, McKinney

220 - Woods or Parris (this one will be close)

152 - Bam or Cael

126 - Hudkins, maybe Bailey

120 - Hildebrandt, several others

113 - Cummings, several others

195 - WIDE OPEN

106 - WIDER OPEN

Bring it

Is there a reason you are assuming Lee is out? Or just saying both possibilities?

Hughes is as much as a lock as Streck is.

I couldn't disagree more. Walton has made serious gains during this offseason where most of his losses came only to Andrew Davison (mostly 2-3 point matches). I think Walton will surprise people when he steps on to the mat against Hughes.

I couldn't disagree more. Walton has made serious gains during this offseason where most of his losses came only to Andrew Davison (mostly 2-3 point matches). I think Walton will surprise people when he steps on to the mat against Hughes.

I think Jacob Gray is just as big, if not bigger, a threat than Walton.

And aside from 106 that could have nearly a dozen different champs, I'll say 145. You have a bunch of established guys in Laughlin, Timberman, Lee, Vaughn, Bethel who have been trading losses all year, with a talented group of Eicher, Kerrn, Rodriguez, and A. Laughlin on the outside looking in, though all dangerous.

Edited by Caleb Spires

I think Jacob Gray is just as big, if not bigger, a threat than Walton.

And aside from 106 that could have nearly a dozen different champs, I'll say 145. You have a bunch of established guys in Laughlin, Timberman, Lee, Bethel who have been trading losses all year, with a talented group of Eicher, Kerrn, Rodriguez, and A. Laughlin on the outside looking in, though all dangerous.

I definitely agree with 145. Rodriguez is a monster and so is Kerrn, both will be on a tear when it comes to the tournament. I have not seen a lot out of Eicher, but look for A. Laughlin to catch someone sleeping and catch them in some funk, that is one lengthy, funky dude.

Bane also wrestled like a monster at state last year. He beat Cael McCormick Friday night and avenged an earlier lost to Evan Smiley for 3rd and 4th. If he wrestles like he did last year definitely need to watch out, I am just saying I don't know if he will wrestle at that caliber again at this year's state finals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.