Mistake in the NWI Times?

busstogate

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/wednesday-s-prep-roundup-crown-point-claims-overall-dac-wrestling/article_889dfb6e-c192-5e71-97f6-1337a3603eda.html

If Portage beat them head to head at the Traicoff and then won the DAC tourney, how does the Portage JV loss give CP the conference title?

Edited by busstogate

Most conferences have in their by-laws that the first time you wrestle is the one that counts for the conference championship. I would guess that the first time the contract said it was a varsity contest.  

Most conferences distinguish which duals are for the conference standings if they wrestle multiple times.

At the Traicoff there is no guarantee that CP and Portage will wrestle.

This was known by Portage BEFORE they sent their JV team for the conference match.

Had this same discussion with a friend of mine and it really comes down to where your priorities lie. If your goal is to win a DAC title, then you wrestle the dual as it was scheduled, if you want to have your team get better by wrestling better competition, then you wrestle in Detroit.  Portage strikes me as a team that strives for more than a conference title, so in that regard, their team was better off wrestling the stiff competition in Detroit. Congrats to CP on the DAC title, they beat the team in front of them.  

Our DAC bylaws state that only a dual that is wrestled first round of the tournament will be counted as a conference dual.  That is why we lost.  You will never hear an ounce of regret from the coaching staff or our kids, our job and goal is not to win DAC titles, it is to win State and National titles.  That is just what we signed up for.  And maybe that is arrogant, but that is us.

Then leave the conference.

So since they search out tougher competition instead of worrying about a conference championship, they should just leave the conference? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me... I would like to think as many teams as possible would try to seek out the best competition to make their teams better. In the long run, it makes the conference as well as our state look better in the wrestling community.

I was just trying to see about the criteria and if the tourney and the previous win had more of a bearing, and if possibly the paper made a mistake. I believe the NLC puts a good share of weight in the individual tourney finish as well as the duals.  Sorry if this thread caused so many so much butthurt.

So the conference tournament has no bearing on the conference champion?

That is what I was wondering. I know our conference has both the dual portion and individual tournament portion. If they would both happen to be won by two different teams, then the two teams are listed as Co-Champs. But the team that won the individual tournament would get to take the trophy home with them.

Bylaws can be changed, wrestling can be excluded for Portage. Where is the integrity of being a part of a conference but then entering your B team.

Portage knew what they're doing and I doubt really cares about it.   They're happy with their conference tournament result and will live with the Crown Point match and ensuing Crown Point championship.  How many conference championships do you need by the way.  They passed up the match to wrestle two top 10 nationally ranked teams and two other top notch teams.  Vega is trying to put his team on name on one of those 50 national rankings.   He rather have that than a trophy that says DAC dual champ. Bylaws say enter a team and they did.  I'm sure they would of tried to work something out with schedule but couldn't make it happen.   Id be careful to call them out on integrity.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Then leave the conference

Why on earth would they leave the conference? Because they had an opportunity to wrestle nationally ranked, new opponents? They had already wrestled CP at the Triacoff & would see them again at the conference tourney. But that's beside the point, the decision to skip out on the dual was made long before the season began. I applaud the coaching staff & athletic department for standing behind them on this decision. 

Bylaws can be changed, wrestling can be excluded for Portage. Where is the integrity of being a part of a conference but then entering your B team.

Apparently you know nothing about Coach Vega, his staff, or his wrestlers if you dare question there integrity. Crown Point, the teams in the DAC, the wrestling community, & you know who the real DAC Champs are. They can have their trophy, Portage wrestling is working towards bigger & better things.

How does that work.   Does the dual Champion get a trophy that's 3x bigger than the tournament champion?

I'm guessing here, but the logic is that the dual meets are a better representation of a team championship than the individual tourney. 75% might also eliminate the possibility of ties (e.g. teams flip flopping places from finish in duals and tourney). Either way, kudos to the Portage staff and administration for making a decision they feel is in the best interest of their program and being upfront about their intentions. 

I'm guessing here, but the logic is that the dual meets are a better representation of a team championship than the individual tourney. 75% might also eliminate the possibility of ties (e.g. teams flip flopping places from finish in duals and tourney). Either way, kudos to the Portage staff and administration for making a decision they feel is in the best interest of their program and being upfront about their intentions.

So is it a formula or a points system or maybe something cool I don't even know about?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.