Hook's Annual SIAC Preview and Analysis

hook and half

The post-season is here!  For SIAC fans, this means a trip to fabulous Newburgh, Indiana.  Mrs. Hook, Hookticia, Hookert and Hookun have the trusty 1985 Chevrolet Caprice station wagon, cleaned, gassed-up and backed into the driveway.  They even scraped the gum off the seats so that their grandparents, “Big Hook Mama” and “Cool Daddy Hook Bucks” will have a safe place on which to sit.  Our Kool-Aid is stirred; the Lays Stackers (much cheaper than Pringles) are packed.

106- Mater Dei’s one-seed Clay “Scrambled” Egli is the favorite.  The Castle Knights counter with freshman Devon “Lightning” Casebolt, who brings a strong, 29-3 record to the party. 

113- Baxter “Vader” Annakin is back!  While this is good news for Bob Harmon’s Knights, it bad news for the field.  Recovered from his injury, Annakin could make a deep run in the State Tournament Series.  Seth “Hears a Who” Horty has steadily improved and rolled up an impressive, 31-3 record.  Horty will likely meet Mater Dei’s Blaine “Bring the Pain” Mayer in the semifinal.

120- Fifth-ranked Mater Dei junior Kyle “Sweet” Luigs nabs the top seed.  Castle’s Neal “The Real Deal” Bealmer will duke it out with Central’s Cody “Samsonite” Baggett in the semifinal.  Harrison’s Beau “Geste” Barrett, Drew “Little Big” Horn and Reitz’s Chris “Not the Actor” Tucker also expect to compete for podium spots.

126- The Knights’ Carson “What You Talkin Bout” Willis has put together an awesome 29-1 record, his only loss to Cathedral’s top-ranked Breyden Bailey.  Reitz’s Caleb “007” Craig and Harrison’s Jay “Spice Boy” Hollowell will likely battle for a spot in the final.  Mater Dei’s Joe “Don’t Worry, Be” Happe will also be in the medal hunt in this deep weight class.

132- The North Huskies’ Josh “Hamburger” Elpers has screamed to a 30-1 record and the top seed.  Castle’s Braedon “Slowhand” Clopton is an SSQ, boasting a 20-2 record.  Throw in Memorial’s Jacob “The Rock” Brockman, Reitz’s Kye “Cabinet” Fehrenbacher and Mater Dei’s Kyle “Minogue” Embry and you have yourself the makings of a real donnybrook.  I know Castle’s concession stand is calling…better make a run well before this bracket is wrestled.

138- Actually, you had better stock up on concessions; you will not want to miss any 138 action, either.  Castle’s Austin “Pharaoh” Ramsey gets the nod for the top seed.  A senior, the ranked Ramsey will be dissatisfied with anything short of a State berth.  In his way is Mater Dei’s fifth-ranked Blake “Air” Jourdan.  Down from 160, earlier in the season, and from 145 last year, Jourdan looks poised for another spot on the podium at Banker’s Life.  BUT….before he gets there, Jourdan will have to get past North’s Nick “House Of” Burke.  Burke is under the radar but brings a 29-1 record to the meet.  Overlook him at your peril.

145- Mater Dei’s Joe “Younger, But Bigger” Lee grabs the spotlight.  Last year’s State Runner-up is the heavy favorite.  Harrison’s Bryce “De Moray” Ransom, North’s Dalton “Battleship” Gray and Castle’s Clay “Almond Joy” McNutt will battle for medals.

152- The Wildcats’ journeyman “Abercrombie &” Mitch Lehman gets the nod for the top slot.  Memorial’s talented “Take A” Chance Williams gets the two seed.  Williams has battled non-stop injuries for two seasons.  Here’s hoping Larry Mattingly’s senior stays healthy for a post-season run.  Castle’s freshman, William “Milling” Nunn and Reitz’s Blayd “Runner” Blair will also be in the mix.

160- Castle’s Jacob “Old McDonald” Farmer is the favorite here.  Danger lurks, as Farmer will likely meet the Memorial Tigers’ Jack “In the Box” Folz.  On the other side of the bracket, Shawn “P. Diddy” Coane of North meets Mater Dei’s Hunter “Baby, You Can Drive My” Carr in the first round.  The winner of that one meets the winner of Reitz’s Noah “Ark” Reich and Harrison’s Dymond “Legs” Harris.  No bathroom breaks during 160!  I’ll be taking notes.

170- Castle’s Evan “Sville” Dowell is a big favorite.  Dowell has a ton of varsity and big match experience.  Look for him to cash some chips.  Bosse’s Raymond “Bradbury” Garnett is the two seed.  Garnett has rolled up 17 wins and looks to bring his gridiron success to the mats.  Memorial’s Mitchell “Encyclopedia” Brown, Mater Dei’s Blake “Bing” Chandler, North’s Marcus “Axle” Eatan, Central’s Kiave “Guerrier & Ives” Guerrier and Reitz’s Jeremy “Ring My” Belli will also look for a medal.  Wrestlebacks will be a blast!  Are you going to make me say it?  Very well.  NO BATHROOM BREAKS.

182- Bob Harmon gets another top seed with his junior, Carson “Cougar Mohlercamp” Mohler.  The first-year starter has rolled up an outstanding 29-3 record and looks to top the awards stand in his home gym.  The Tigers’ Conner “Buster” Brown is the two-seed.  Reitz’s Andrew “Dean” Koonce, North’s Justin “Gun” Naylor, Central’s Austin “Monte” Hall and the Wildcats’ Seth “Of Courth” Orth will also battle for medals.  I’m not going to say it three times in a row.  If you have any questions, refer to 160 and 170 for personal instructions.

195- Mater Dei’s Coach, Greg Schaefer, is grinning over his top-seed, junior Kurtis “Call of the Wild” Wilderman.  Reitz’s Andrew Shaw “Shank” and Castle’s Will “Rock And” Rolley will battle for a right to meet Wilderman at the center mat.  Do not discount North’s “Captain” Nate Smith or Memorial’s Marcus “Niemen” Gahagen—they will both be in medal contention.

220- Schaefer is still grinning!  Why?  Because his sophomore, Michael “Made For Walkin” Boots is the one seed.  Boots will likely meet the Tigers’ Jacob “Cole” Sulawske in the semifinal round.  On the other side of the bracket, Castle’s Brennan “Stormin” Norman should meet Reitz’s Blake “I Need A” Huggins for a right to pursue all of the marbles.

285- By now, Schaefer’s smile is ear-to-ear.  Austin “Powers” Fleck is at the top of his bracket.  Reitz’s Brett “Ed” McManus and Castle’s Brock “Lesner” Lofton will meet, with the winner getting Fleck.  Central’s Jordan “On the label, label, label” Libby is the two-seed.  He will likely face the winner of Memorial’s Ryan “Flyin” Ohlen and Harrison’s Davionte “Howard” Hughes.

Hookemendations:

Don’t miss these first round matches:  113- Harrison’s 21-13 “Mister” Christian Nix and North’s four-seed, Brenton “Fort” Myers.  120- Barrett vs. Tucker.  126- Jacob Brockman is a senior that has seen a lot of battles.  He faces Reitz freshman, Kye Fehrenbacher.  Athletic and tough, Coach Scott Ferguson has a good one in Fehrenbacher.  160- Coane vs. Carr.  Coane is a very solid 23-7, while Carr is 0-3.  Carr is coming off injury and should be ready to present him a stiff challenge.  170- Belli vs. Guerrier; Chandler vs. Garnett.  182- Koonce vs. Naylor.  285- Lofton vs. McManus; Ohlsen vs. Hughes.

Best first round match:  182, Austin Hall vs. Seth Orth.  Only at 182 could SSQ Seth Orth not receive a seed!  The senior will face junior Austin Hall for the first time this year.

Don’t miss these semifinals:  113- Mayer vs. Horty.  126- Craig vs. Hollowell.  138- Burke vs. Jourdan.  152- Nunn vs. Williams.  160- Farmer vs. Folz.  Carr/Coane vs. Harris.  170- Brown vs. Garnett.  182- Hall/Orth vs. Brown.  195- Shaw vs. Rolley.  220- Norman vs. Huggins.  285- Ohlsen/Hughes vs. Libby; Fleck vs. Lofton/McManus.

Best semifinal match:  132, Braeden Clopton vs. Kyle Embry.  Clopton is very strong and solid; he fell in last year’s SS ticket round.  Embry is very strong and solid.  The senior has had four years of battling for a spot in a crowded line-up.  This should be a good one!

Best title matches:  113- Annakin vs. Mayer/Horty.  Mayer and Horty are healthy and in supreme condition.  Annakin has five matches—what kind of shape is he in?  We will soon learn.  132- Elpers vs. Embry/Clopton.  Josh Elpers is as muscled-up as any 132-pounder you will find.  However, Embry and Clopton have wrestled super-tough schedules and experience brutal practice partners, on a daily basis.  Who holds the cards?  138- Ramsey vs. Jourdan.  Both are high energy, super-hardnosed grapplers—they are also great kids.  I can’t wait for this one.  285- Fleck vs. Libby.  Fleck owns a win over Libby.  However, the win was narrow and Libby is a wily veteran.  Expect Libby to be coached up for his center mat appearance. 

Bold Observations, Questions and Predictions:

·         Give Harrison’s coach, Matt Mastison, a week and some plastic sweats.  I’ll wager he can get to 113…again.

·         Central’s coach, Mike Lapadat, will burn more calories coaching than at least half of the 285-pounders do wrestling.

·         Castle’s concessions will wow you with pizza slices that cover an entire paper plate and baked potatoes that resemble, in size and appearance, Wrestleman’s head.

·         IU89 has the scoop.  Trust me on this one.

·         Ask Mater Dei’s coaching staff if they go with light, medium or heavy starch on their shirts for the SIAC meet.  Then, find me and give me the answer.  I want to know.

·         In spite of their heavy Castle bias, 1gold, backtothemat, todddfoxxx (Triple D, Triple X) and bluebolt1 are actually pretty congenial guys that would love to talk wrestling with you.  

·         Bob Harmon will have his beard freshly-trimmed and a stern countenance.

·         My daughter, Hookticia, will be matside complaining about how the yellow mats screw up her photography.

·         Ask Larry Mattingly “What is going on?”  I’ll bet he will have an easy smile and a great story to tell you.

·         Mater Dei’s fans will take issue with at least one of the referee’s calls.  The balance of the fans will take issue with the fact that MD fans have an issue.

·         JonH will be imbibing a libation from a can marked “Ski”, but he will not share.

·         Some folks will be offended by my nicknames.  I have no choice in the matter, as my fan(s) (sometimes one, sometimes two) demand jocular comments and pithy analysis.  Everything I do, I do for my fans.  Or fan.

Great stuff Hook! You should write a book!

Btw we also have 1/4lbers in the concession area this year. And Ski. Lots of Ski.

CHS Wrestling Concession Chair.

Now you're talking. How about a little love for the concession coverage? By love, of course, I mean free food...

Hook, I know it's been awhile.  I don't believe you accurately remember the size of my head.  Idaho doesn't have enough acreage to grow potatoes that large.  You have the texture, or lack of, correct.  I appreciate the wrestling analysis, but could do without the comparison of my head and a potato.  I get insulted enough by my wife and four children.  

Hook, I know it's been awhile.  I don't believe you accurately remember the size of my head.  Idaho doesn't have enough acreage to grow potatoes that large.  You have the texture, or lack of, correct.  I appreciate the wrestling analysis, but could do without the comparison of my head and a potato.  I get insulted enough by my wife and four children.

I didn't mean word of it. You know I love you, babe.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.