IHSWCA Middle School State

TeamGarcia

Any new predictions now that most wrestlers are registered? It looks like 95 and 117 are loaded with talent.

All these kids should place with 1 of them being the champ(no particular order)

75- Allen, Nelson, Fogarty, Tuttle

80-Freeman, Dalton, Watson, Goin, Bates

85-Cottey, Diaz, Mendez, Carrington, Jr, Tonner, Fuqua

90-Duncan, Alsott, Koontz, Mis, Zeltzer

95-Drousias, Campbell, Montgomery, Bailey

102-Littell, Wagner, Conley

110-Viduya, Boarman, McKivitz

The higher the weight the less familiar I am with these kids, but here is a few I have heard of.

117-Williams, Reynolds

125-Bates, Freije

132-Calhoun, Ellis

140-LaPlace, Bowman, Turley

150-Verbeek, Friedt

160-Allred

It would be nice if their was a way on track to seperate the team scores for the Club/Academy and the actual MS teams. The 10 top teams in either category deserve some recognitions for bringing a tough group of kids, but they are really two seperate categories. Im sure I could read through the team names and get an somewhat accurate run down, but some type of filter option would save a little time.

Edited by MattM

All these kids should place with 1 of them being the champ(no particular order)

75- Allen, Nelson, Fogarty, Tuttle

80-Freeman, Dalton, Watson, Goin, Bates

85-Cottey, Diaz, Mendez, Carrington, Jr, Tonner, Fuqua

90-Duncan, Alsott, Koontz, Mis, Zeltzer

95-Drousias, Campbell, Montgomery, Bailey

102-Littell, Wagner, Conley

110-Viduya, Boarman, McKivitz

The higher the weight the less familiar I am with these kids, but here is a few I have heard of.

117-Williams, Reynolds

125-Bates, Freije

132-Calhoun, Ellis

140-LaPlace, Bowman, Turley

150-Verbeek, Friedt

160-Allred

Looks like you got some right & missed some . 6/7th graders looked great , 8th graders are going to be some tough Freshman coming into their Highschools . Even though it was snowing outside, nasty wrecks around the State. We had all the entertainment we needed inside the *Worlds Largest High School Gymnasium*. *learn something everyday*

Great Job to the IHSWCA & New Castle Wrestling, ISWA .

Looks like you got some right & missed some . 6/7th graders looked great , 8th graders are going to be some tough Freshman coming into their Highschools . Even though it was snowing outside, nasty wrecks around the State. We had all the entertainment we needed inside the *Worlds Largest High School Gymnasium*. *learn something everyday*

Great Job to the IHSWCA & New Castle Wrestling, ISWA .

lol I got almost all of them right.  Tuesch at 75 didn't sign up till after my predictions and he was expected to be at 80, so I won't take the hit on that one.  117 and 150 were the only ones I missed, but I did get the runner up listed.  either way the gold and blue teams are going to be really good for the National middle School duals.

So I have some compliments and critics about the event and I'm hoping some good or at least some answered questions will come out of it.

First, I thought the tournament overall was nothing short of spectacular. So much quality wrestling and the folks at New Castle are awesome. They always have been.

Question: If they are going to weigh everyone in at once, why the two pound allowance in gear? This whole weight allowance epidemic is baffling to me. No matter what you do with the weights, kids will cut. Period. So why mess with it? Just set the weights and have the kids weigh in a competition singlet or underwear just like every other tournament. I don't get this weight allowance thing that everyone seems to be doing.

The other concern I have is awards. Let me be clear. I'm not a big award guy and I hate participation awards, but this is a really good tournament. Lots of kids enter and pay $35 to enter. Placers get a stock medal that pales to what you get at most local tournaments that make pennies on the dollar to what is being made at this thing. Why so cheap? A tournament like this should stand out in all areas to match the competition level.

Maybe I'm just a jerk, but those two things really just kind of bothered me. It was an excellent tournament and it ran really as smooth as I've ever seen. The workers were great, the facilities were great, and I'm looking forward to next year. I just wanted to get that stuff out there.

It is a great tourney.

I have had the pleasure the last couple of years of helping the great Mark Gaulka take the national teams over to Danville, Illinois for the middle school nationals (as a coach and assistant team leader). With this said, I like the two pound allowance. Yes we are trying to find a state champ... but in my eyes the biggest honor is to represent your state at Middle School National Duals. You gotta figure that you are really only getting one pound, as the lightest shoes weigh at least one pound. With this said, If you can be within one pound of the weigh class (the morning of this tourney) and still wrestle well enough to take a top two spot. Then.... you should be able to make scratch a month later the night before nationals (weigh-is are the night prior). This allows Indiana to bring our very best team to nationals. I assure you that most kids at that tournament are lean and mean!!!!!

With all of this said..... Hector (Sig40) is right.... our teams should be very solid!!!! Although I am not on the ISWA board anymore, I may still make the trip out to see Indiana rip it up!!!!

Brewer

So I have some compliments and critics about the event and I'm hoping some good or at least some answered questions will come out of it.

First, I thought the tournament overall was nothing short of spectacular. So much quality wrestling and the folks at New Castle are awesome. They always have been.

Question: If they are going to weigh everyone in at once, why the two pound allowance in gear? This whole weight allowance epidemic is baffling to me. No matter what you do with the weights, kids will cut. Period. So why mess with it? Just set the weights and have the kids weigh in a competition singlet or underwear just like every other tournament. I don't get this weight allowance thing that everyone seems to be doing.

The other concern I have is awards. Let me be clear. I'm not a big award guy and I hate participation awards, but this is a really good tournament. Lots of kids enter and pay $35 to enter. Placers get a stock medal that pales to what you get at most local tournaments that make pennies on the dollar to what is being made at this thing. Why so cheap? A tournament like this should stand out in all areas to match the competition level.

Maybe I'm just a jerk, but those two things really just kind of bothered me. It was an excellent tournament and it ran really as smooth as I've ever seen. The workers were great, the facilities were great, and I'm looking forward to next year. I just wanted to get that stuff out there.

I can answer the 1st question. The 2lb allowance is for the weight of the singlet and shoes combined. Wrestlers cutting weight is always going to happen.

We had 5 scales working

We weighed in all the wrestlers in about 45 minutes ( skin check, medical paperwork and weight check) the "regular way" all the extra clothes and bags,( and space for these items) wrestlers changing out of their singlets would have taken at least 3x's as long making the tournament last that much longer. Glad overall it was a good day for you

I know that the intent behind weighing in with singlet and shoes is supposed to prevent kids from cutting weight, but I feel like most people use this method to cut more weight.  Most singlets and shoes are 1.5 giving kids another .5 they don't have to drop.  Also most kids wake up lighter, so I think a weigh in the night before would actually prevent kids from cutting a bunch of weight.  Also doing the weigh in the night before the tournament can start right on time at 9. 

I was also disappointed that for this big of a tournament they were not running full mats.  Maybe this event can be held at the Coliseum next year with full mats.  The only good thing was that the tournament took so long that by the time we got out of there the highways were opened back up and clear all the way home.

Thanks for both the positive and the negative comments (I consider those constructive criticism).  First, I know people always mention full mats.  I am not justifying how we do it, but in reality the mat area the wrestlers in the fieldhouse wrestled on was at least 100 square feet larger than the area of a traditional "full mat", and the mat area for the upstairs mats is almost double the normal amount.  In terms of awards...we have re-thought that over the years, and made upgrades.  Maybe we need to look at that again.  I am fairly pleased with weigh-ins and having a two pound allowance.  We can get people through fast, there is no melay of people wanting to be the first one into weigh-ins, and because of the weight allowance I have absolutley no reservations telling someone,  "maybe you should not have been "cutting weight" to use the two pound allowance" when their wrestler is over weight.  We will start weigh-ins a bit earlier next year so we can get started sooner which I think will help.  I did appreciate the level of competition that we had, and how most people were very nice and congenial.  I think this is the first year that I have not had anyone act like an idiot and had to look them in the eye and tell them that either I could handle the problem or the police could and neither one would be good for them.  I also am so appreciative of Mark Durham.  His help has been a godsend.  Many people do not know him, but he is one of those people who sees a job to be done, does it really well, and does not care who gets the credit.  I also am appreciative of the women who came to me and said they would take care of Hospitality for the workers and Officials.  My late wife, Bonnie, had always done that so it meant alot to me that they would volunteer.  The Officials were amazing as well.  i always marvel. as I am watching the event, at how well these guys do their job even after they have been on the mats for 10-12 hours.  Some of them had officiated a Semi-State the day before and driven through the snow to get to New Castle.  It is way more than just a pay check to them.  Lastly....thanks to the wrestlers....you were all awesome!!!

Edited by Coach Peck

Thought: Would there be anyway to have a qualifier for this Event, plus you could seed it if you did? Keeping the brackets to a 16 or 32 man bracket, with full mats and then a face off and then the finals?

This was my first time attending this event. I was told in previous years wrestlers would weighin and head to the mats to start wrestling immediately, which sounds like that would have been idea, any chance of this coming back? Plus, that would makes sense for the 2lb allowance, because it allows wrestling to start immediately.

Any reason not to go to full mats? Room I assume.

I thought the tournament was ran about the same the last couple of years. Great competition and this seems to be the really only true event in Indiana where all the top dogs show up. Even though this was my last year watching/coaching one of my sons, I would push for better awards. The plaque for first was nice but the other 2nd-8th medals were nothing to go crazy over! Overall, New Castle and Coach Peck put on a well finished product.

Muncie Southside middle school apparently left their med kit at New Castle last Sunday... If anyone happened to pick it up please email me...

Thanks

AJ Bradley

abradley@muncie.k12.in.us

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.