102-Brayden Littell
110-Alec Viduya
117-Graham Calhoun
125-Tyce Frieje
132-Raymond Ellis
140-Mason Winner
150-Abel Verbeek
160-Silas Allred
175-275????  (not sure what grade some of these big kids are in)

Edited by Sig40

Solid picks Hector. Good luck to your pick at 85! I will be rooting for him.

Others in the mix (not sure on weights):

75- Cameron Allen or Ben Dalton (if they go 75)

80- Hayden Watson

85- Jr. Roberson

90- Tyler Conley, Noah Mis, Drake Campbell

95- Hollis, Kysen Montgomery

102- Owen Sego

117/125- Deven Williams and Jaden Reynolds 

140/150- Noah Beller, Tyler Turley, and Caden Freidt

Edited by Mattyb

Kinda disappointed to see that separation criteria wasn't added. Hope that we don't see a match up like we saw with Garcia and Alec Viduya to start the day like last year. It was a long day after that for Alec. Same with Drake Campbell. I think that Alec had to wrestle 11 times last year to get his true second. Is that safe and can things be done to prevent this. Three years ago my son was coming off a great Novice year. He was a sixth grader and got the one seed at 110. He was NOT the one seed in my book (not even close). Now.... two years later he was good enough to be the one seed, but not as a sixth grader. He did not place as a sixth grader (missed it by one round). He was not the one seed as a returning finalist his 8th grade year, but won it all. Seeding tournaments using track profiles is fine for local tourneys. But.. it should not be done this way for state or national events. Profiles are too easy to manipulate and kids are coming off good or bad years at an older or younger age group.

Maybe this could be the seeding criteria:

1. Returning middle school state champ

2. Returning middle school state placer

3. ISWA folkstyle schoolboy state champ

4. ISWA folkstyle schoolboy top 4 placer

5. ISWA folkstyle novice state champ

6. ISWA folkstyle novice top 4 placer

Edited by Mattyb

That sounds about as good of a separation criteria as I could think of for this event.  It give credit to the previous event results and then the previous age group results (with priority given to the older group first).  And considering 8th graders would/should be 1st year Cadet that previous ISWA age group results likely wouldn't factor in.  Plus all of those results seem pretty easy to find and verify when you compared them to some other separation criteria that could be used.

Edited by MattM

90 looks to be the same kids that battled it out at 75 last year.  Hopefully they separate them better this year.  It will be a fun bracket with Drousias, Mis, Campbell, Conley, Seltzer, Alstott, and Rioux.  Anyone of those guys could win it. 

Edited by Sig40

90 looks to be the same kids that battled it out at 75 last year. Hopefully they separate them better this year. It will be a fun bracket with Drousias, Mis, Campbell, Conley, Seltzer, Alstott, and Rioux. Anyone of those guys could win it.

Rioux was a 8th grader last year

Would be nice for them to use this format. But they are really sold on using trackwrestling profiles that can be padded by tons of small local tournaments or you can delete the tournaments you do bad at.

shouldn't expect Campbell at 90, he seems to have contracted something over the holidays called puberty, causing a mutant growth spurt,  just hoping he still knows how to move his body a month from now.  appreciate you all naming him.

not mentioned yet is a group of MD kids that I've seen making a lot of noise this year outa state.  Freeman at 80, Ross at 103, Boarman at 110 (or 103).  those boys are legit contenders for a state title from what I've seen,

90 looks to be the same kids that battled it out at 75 last year.  Hopefully they separate them better this year.  It will be a fun bracket with Drousias, Mis, Campbell, Conley, Seltzer, Alstott, and Rioux.  Anyone of those guys could win it. 

Talked to Drousias yesterday and he said they will prolly be at 95 as well.  I have noticed Freeman has been wrestling great, not sure if he will be at 80 or 85 though.

Last I saw Conley doesn't look like a 90, I suspect 95 at lowest, more like a 102. Diesel Duncan looking good in the cobra room, another 95er,  Looks like a pile up at 95, not 90.  Where's Goodwin Sig? i'm out of the loop, would expect to see him show up somewhere around the mid 90s this year.

side note, tournament wasn't seeded/separated based on track profile last year, it was random draw. actually in the absence of seeding criteria I'd rather rely on track profile than nothing, like what was done in 2014.  Of course there'll be those circumventing the system but it'll sort itself out in the end.  With a track profile seed you'd avoid 1st/2nd round match ups like we saw last year; but putting that aside, I agree the seeding criteria would be nice as proposed.

Goodwin hasn't been in the room lately, but I would guess 90/95.  Mis will probably be the favorite with a lot of those guys going to 95.  95 should be the toughest bracket if all those wrestlers end up there.

I would much rather have track seeding opposed to a blind draw.  They should add a box to add a wrestlers achievements when they are registering as another way to separate.  Because 6th graders will not have returning middle school placer criteria or even schoolboy criteria. 

• 3 weeks later...

Since registration closes at 8 on Saturday and no one can change their weights they should have the brackets posted Saturday night after they seed it.  This way there is no delay Sunday morning.  All they would have to do is take out any kid that doesn't show or make weight giving their opponent a bye. 

Hopefully they don't do it like last year where they posted it on track right before the tournament started.(wasn't seeded either)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.