Red vs Lee State Finals?

Redskins

Just because you disagree with me most of the time doesn't mean I lack intelligence, though you are entitled to your own opinion. I'd counter by saying if I were judging a book by its cover, many of the people who post on this site make it pretty clear that they are not mental giants, often times yourself included, with your juvenile name calling. I post to share opinions about the wonderful sport of wrestling, agree, disagree, I'm good either way. Have a good day. 

Lee already is committed to Penn State, he has already lost out on the chance to be a 4 timer, so what is the difference between a 3 timer or 2 timer? I would go after the challenge of knocking off the nations best because that is what it is going to take for him to win a National Championship at the next level.

What Lee has done so far is great for the sport from a spectator's point of view. None of these kids owe us a thing, but you have to root for a kid who seeks out challenges.  I live on the opposite side of the state and have a great deal of respect for Nick Lee, though I was admittedly rooting for Micic when they wrestled. Cosgrove and English are 2 others that chased defending state champions, which was fun to watch. Cosgrove was able to beat McGill a few times and English kept it close against Tsirtsis, from a fan's perspective, it was awesome, just like Lee and Red will be should it happen. 

This is for sure exciting! I have watched both kids compete multiple times and enjoy every match! I am most excited that both kids will compete to win! It seems like most every match I watch with both boys that their oponants are just relieved when it's over. "That is a compliment to them, not a insult to their competitors". I hope both are healthy if it happens and expect a great match.

There would be a decent possibility this match wouldn't even take place under the lights.  

This, combined with last year's state bracket debacle and it's effects on matchups, got me wondering...could this possible matchup cause the powers to be to work some magic to make it so this match could only be for the state title in order to promote the sport and attendance? I'm sure this has been discussed before (but so has class wrestling!) but why does IN "regionalize" entire brackets? I could understand random draws of individuals but to have one "region" face another" region", in total, doesn't seem to make sense especially when everything nowadays seems to be based on seeds or rankings. We seem to be able to separate kids at club level tourneys but we can't trust someone or a committee to do it for state championships?

There would be a decent possibility this match wouldn't even take place under the lights.  

I know this is far fetched and probably could not happen.  But it would be nice if every year the coaches association got a choice of 2 weight classes they could choose which 2 semi-state champs to put on the opposite bracket.  Maybe it something that it sometimes is not used.  But when you have 2 nationally ranked wrestlers it would be great to get them on opposite sides of the bracket. 

I know this is far fetched and probably could not happen.  But it would be nice if every year the coaches association got a choice of 2 weight classes they could choose which 2 semi-state champs to put on the opposite bracket.  Maybe it something that it sometimes is not used.  But when you have 2 nationally ranked wrestlers it would be great to get them on opposite sides of the bracket. 

As good as that could turn out for the spectator, no coach of the "3rd best" kid would ever allow that. If a kid is a clear third best and the clear top two are on one side of the bracket, can you really picture a coach allowing other coaches to change it and give his kid less of a chance to get to the finals? Would be great for the fans, but wouldn't be great for the other kids in that weight class.

Red is an amazing scrambler but Lee always stays in solid position. Both are tremendous offensive wrestlers always on the attack. Ritht now I'll pick Lee 5-4 but could obviously swing the other way. I say it comes down to if Lee can neutralize and score off of Red's scrambles.

As good as that could turn out for the spectator, no coach of the "3rd best" kid would ever allow that. If a kid is a clear third best and the clear top two are on one side of the bracket, can you really picture a coach allowing other coaches to change it and give his kid less of a chance to get to the finals? Would be great for the fans, but wouldn't be great for the other kids in that weight class.

Oh don't get me wrong.  I don't want this to happen this year. ;)

Chad Red Jr. is the number one wrestler in the nation at 132. He had to find ways to win against the best kids in the country to earn that ranking. I would argue that you really couldn't even attempt to rank another 132 pounder in the nation ahead of Red based on his success over the past few years.

Nick Lee is very good--elite level good. He is aggressive, has excellent technique, and possesses a killer instinct. I get excited watching him wrestle. He flat out breaks kids. But I just don't see him breaking CJ.

It would be a great match. Words can't accurately describe how excited most of us would be to witness such a spectacle. For me, it would be on par with watching Taylor vs Dake match a few years ago. It surely would be the most anticipated match I have ever heard of in Indiana (though I have been told that there have been similarly exciting potential match ups in the past that never happened, e.g. Angel vs Reece).

I hope this match up happens. If it does happen but doesn't take place under the lights, it will be a shame.

We are talking two extremely talented and hard working wrestlers. Very few Indiana wrestlers have had the success they have had thus far in their careers. It is rare that two kids of this caliber would find themselves wrestling at the same time at the same weight.

My take:

CJ is the number one kid in the state and country. If anyone were to beat him, including Nick Lee, it would be an upset. Not to discredit Lee. He is a great wrestler and I think his aggressive, tenacious style could potentially prove to stifle CJ. If anyone is capable of preventing Red from claiming his fourth state title, it would be the elder Lee brother.

I just think Red's experience wrestling in big matches against the best kids helps him find away to win. I'm picking Chad by decision, though I think more high scoring than some on here. 7-4 with CJ getting a third period takedown and ride out before showing off his last celebratory dance moves in his high school wrestling career.

I know that no one asked for it, but those are my two cents.

You guys are drinking some really good kool-aid if you think Red would major Lee! Really!! Do you guys watch wrestling? Honestly. Red is a superstar, don't get me wrong. He would be on my Mt. Rushmore of Indiana wrestlers. However, Lee is not the type of wrestler that would get majored in a state finals match. I think the match would be a toss-up, it could go either way. But I think its irresponsible as a wrestling fan/coach to say that Chad Red would Major Lee. Get outta here with that nonsense.  

You guys are drinking some really good kool-aid if you think Red would major Lee! Really!! Do you guys watch wrestling? Honestly. Red is a superstar, don't get me wrong. He would be on my Mt. Rushmore of Indiana wrestlers. However, Lee is not the type of wrestler that would get majored in a state finals match. I think the match would be a toss-up, it could go either way. But I think its irresponsible as a wrestling fan/coach to say that Chad Red would Major Lee. Get outta here with that nonsense.  

I think only one person has mentioned Lee getting majored.

Red wins this if he is at full health no matter what. He beat Taylor Lamont 5-2 at Whos #1 and Lamont is at Lee's caliber, if not better. If they actually do wrestle, Red wins in a Lamont style fashion.

Not that National Rankings dictate who wins on a mat BUT Lee is ranked higher than Lamont on InterMat.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.