Da Region

backtothemat

Is it too early for the annual geographic lesson (for anyone not in the NW pocket of the state) on which counties/schools are actually in The Region?

I remember it every year until HS wrestling ends, then I forget until the next winter.

Topic of a lot of contention in Northwest Indiana! Lake and porter counties are adamant that they are the only "region" schools, even Lake county schools often don't like to include Porter county schools in "da region". The sense is that the urban areas take it as a badge of honor that doesn't extend to the rural areas of southern Lake county and they would never include Jasper and Newton counties in the Region, but Wikipedia would disagree https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Indiana

If you include the entire 219 area code you greatly extend the size of the region. If you look at the region as the metropolitan areas surrounding The southside of Chicago you limit it to Northern Lake county. This could probably be a sociology thesis if someone really wanted to get into it

True Story:

A guy from Mishawaka was walking around a party at Purdue telling everyone he was from "da region". A former hobart wrestler (who will remain nameless) slapped him in the face and told him to never say that again. The guy from Mishawaka left the party. Rumor has it he transferred colleges as well. 

Below is Da Definition of Da Region per Da Urban Dictionary..,  Interesting that Merrillville  Hobart an Lake Station are only semi-region. 

Also known as “Da Region,” It is the section of the Chicago Metropolitan Area that overflows past the Indiana boarder. From a cultural stand point, the region is where the “ethnic” slums of South Side Chicago meets “white corn-fed hillbilly” Indiana, creating very diverse and unique place that is by far better than any other location in Indiana. According to The Chicago Tribune, Lake County is a included in the Chicago Metropolitan Area, but the TRUE region is located only in the Northwest area of Lake County IN; consisting of Whiting, East Chicago, Hammond, Munster, Highland, Griffith, Gary, and the North sides of Dyer, Shererville, and Marrillville. The South sides of Dyer, Shererville, and Marrillville along with St. John, Crown Point, Hobart, and Lake Station (aka Snake Nation) are only considered Semi-Region (People from there can still consider themselves “regionites,” but must bow down to anyone from the TRUE region). People from Porter County, La Porte County, and Southern areas of Lake County such as Lowell, who tell people they are from the region and try to gain of the region’s mystique, are ABSOLUTLY NOT from the region. A solid “rule of thumb” is: if you are in Lake County IN, there are multiple African Americans and Latinos living within a 1 mile radius of you, and there are no corn fields in sight; you are then in the TRUE REGION. 

I just lump Lake,Porter, and La Porte into the region category. Probably angers all of them but oh well. No reason to ever want to visit there or Chicago.

Tell us how you really feel

I don't think it angers anyone I'm not sure I know anyone that say region out side of a wrestling club and the rest of the state of Indiana

Da Region consist of Deez High Schools, and NO OTHERS: Whiting, Hammond Clark, Hammond High, Hammond Gavit, Hammond Morton, Bishop Noll, East Chicago Central, Munster, Highland, Griffith, Calumet, Lake Central (furthest School South), Andrean, Merrillville, Hobart and Lake Station. NO PORTER COUNTY SCHOOLS! And NO Crown Point, Hanover or Lowell....Sorry guys that just Da facts!  And Every sport in High knows about Da Region, not just wrestling.  Let the wanna be's start, LOL! :ph34r:

Edited by panther83

I get that Portage, CP, Valpo, and Merrillville (sort of) might not fit the definition perfectly--but when we're talking about "region wrestling" as a style and a culture, I still think of the toughness and wrestling culture that all of those schools bring to the table at statewide events.  Most of them are influenced hugely by coaches or clubs or whatever else that are current or past genuine region-ites; so for us outsiders, it's hard not to lump them into the feeling we get when we see them compete.

Usually you can just tell by the smell...at least that's how I know I'm in "da region."

Probably the same feeling I get when I drive to Rural Indiana, and I am greeted by the smell of Fresh Road Apples and Hog Farms. Yep, roll those windows down.  Don't be dissing Da smell of the Steel Mills!

Da Region consist of Deez High Schools, and NO OTHERS: Whiting, Hammond Clark, Hammond High, Hammond Gavit, Hammond Morton, Bishop Noll, East Chicago Central, Munster, Highland, Griffith, Calumet, Lake Central (furthest School South), Andrean, Merrillville, Hobart and Lake Station. NO PORTER COUNTY SCHOOLS! And NO Crown Point, Hanover or Lowell....Sorry guys that just Da facts!  And Every sport in High knows about Da Region, not just wrestling.  Let the wanna be's start, LOL! :ph34r:

Besides being grammatically rebellious by excessively replacing "the" with "Da", and I guess some notoriety in high school sports. What other redeeming qualities do Da regionites have over Da wanna be's.

True Story:

A guy from Mishawaka was walking around a party at Purdue telling everyone he was from "da region". A former hobart wrestler (who will remain nameless) slapped him in the face and told him to never say that again. The guy from Mishawaka left the party. Rumor has it he transferred colleges as well. 

Just to show the Craziness of Region Schools: 1982 Griffith vs Calumet High School Baseball Game.  Calumet player slides into 2nd base cleats chest high. Bench clearing brawl, game Suspended.  I believe it was a double forfeit.  Baseball is a contact sport in Da Region!

Da rat is lurkin in da shadows. If don't know where da region is you never been to a state wraslin final. Dat is where all da hardware heads on saturday night. By best estimate dare will be allot of gold headin our way in a few weeks. Mark my word Im looking for about 7 on da top of da podium. 

I don't know about you dis cold weader is gettin me pumped up for some fine wraslin !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.