SMALL SCHOOLS CAN COMPETE

luv2compete

I am making this post under my wife's user name. I would like to go on the record, I have discussed this topic before ( see post in youth last year). I agree with people suggesting no change in individual state. Through Christ all things are possible! I so believe it is possible as my buddy  ( Rasslerforlife) has been challenged in a earlier thread. I would be willing to help any small school with my skills. I would be happy to run a practice and talk with your boys and coaches for no charge. I will work with you along the way in building a team that can compete at any level. If you would like to take me up on this offer ( just call)

John Slivka

AKA Papa John

317-903-8511

So in just a few practices you can turn a room of 7-10 kids into contenders, despite the fact that they have next to no resources at school, have to compete for gym time with freshman basketball, cheerleading, and drama club, have a weight room with essentially nothing in it, create a feeder system with a large number of kids participating on a regular basis, increase teacher and coaching pay to attract and keep high quality coaches in the building as well as adding coaching stipends to put more coaches in the room, give the school access to more wrestling opportunities in the off season, along with a variety of other things it takes to build high level programs? I'm impressed. It has much less to do with the kids and a lot more to do with access to all the things outside of just the practice room, which most small schools don't have, that make it tough for smaller schools to compete.

A small school here and there can compete but to think they all can on a regular basis is misguided at best.

Edited by CoachM

The key factor is having someone with experience and credentials in the program. Look at AC. Barry Humble started the program and then his successful wrestlers became coaches. Their wrestlers became coaches. Same with AJ Kalvert and Bellmont. One person has to lay the foundation against odds and get parents and community to slowly buy in.

I am making this post under my wife's user name. I would like to go on the record, I have discussed this topic before ( see post in youth last year). I agree with people suggesting no change in individual state. Through Christ all things are possible! I so believe it is possible as my buddy ( Rasslerforlife) has been challenged in a earlier thread. I would be willing to help any small school with my skills. I would be happy to run a practice and talk with your boys and coaches for no charge. I will work with you along the way in building a team that can compete at any level. If you would like to take me up on this offer ( just call)

John Slivka

AKA Papa John

317-903-8511

I m guessing you could give us a insight of the small school/ big school choice Which is a choice you had to make.

Well, the gentleman who started the thread has quite a wrestling resume. State Champ, college wrestler, coached state placers, parent of state caliber wrestler. I coached along side this guy, have been involved in big school feeder programs, Jr. high coach, high school assistant & father of a 3x sq. so we know what it takes.

Well, the gentleman who started the thread has quite a wrestling resume. State Champ, college wrestler, coached state placers, parent of state caliber wrestler. I coached along side this guy, have been involved in big school feeder programs, Jr. high coach, high school assistant & father of a 3x sq. so we know what it takes.

That's a great resume. I'm not sure that's what I'm asking. I'm asking who wants Classed and wants it to stay the same. I m also interested in his choice to send Jordan to cathedral. He has a better insight then most

but adding a possible state medalist would help. I'm not involved with any program but what is stopping you from scheduling the top squads?

Some "top squads" won't schedule smaller schools for various reasons. It never stopped us (Monrovia) from competing at the highest level though back in the day. While I would have always rather wrestled the best competition each and every time in place of pushover so to speak, that's not where you improve. You don't improve your skills, conditioning or mindset during a "6" minute match. You improve in the offseason, in practice, and on your own.

In duals maybe but in super duals and tourneys smaller schools are competing including Monrovia who was at Mooresville. I can see why in duals, smaller schools have a lesser margin of error of you lose a 52 you might have a quality guy or even anyone.

I don't think I'm following you.

During the week it does help a larger school to schedule a smaller school. If the smaller school can't fill a line up. Not by fault of the small school. But weekend individual tourney or multi team duals I see a lot of smaller teams invited too.

I gotcha now..

Edited by allyourbase

We wrestle at the Spartan, wrestle several 3A schools. We plan to strengthen our schedule but right now we have 8-9 freshman in our line up so you also need to balance it out so they don't get too discouraged. Build them up a little too. We work hard in the off season, attend RTC's, camps, and wrestle even thru the summer. Not all of our kids are that committed but the opportunities are there if you take advantage of them.

Edited by RASSLER4LIFE

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.