Team State Debacle

hook and half

Anyone know how many mats the old wigwam, Anderson gym, can put down on the floor?

If you pulled back the bleachers on the end you could possibly get 8 mats max in there... I am not even sure what type of condition that place is in anymore....

With regards to the financial issues holding the IHSWCA back from renting a larger facility, why don't they start a go fund me page or take donations yearly to help cover some of the costs? What about requiring the winning teams to participate in a fund raiser put on to raise funds for the next years team state? Or what about the IHSWCA providing special "attire" for team state so that the teams who wanted special gear for team state could purchase it through the IHSWCA and the IHSWCA could keep the profits off that? I'm just throwing out some ideas to help increase the funding.

whats the place at Purdue where the wrestling room is? lots of up stairs seating plenty of of room for 12 mats, restrooms food maybe not.

The name of the facility is the Lambert fieldhouse.     You could get 8 mats, or maybe 10 mats in there.    It has a full size track so  there  is a lot of space.   Also seating is around 3500 which might be a problem, but has a good view.   I think it has adequate restrooms.  But what if you included Holloway gymnasium where Purdue wrestles.   Its a short walk, but not bad.   I think you could get 4 mats in the facility.  Might have to move some bleachers back.  Not sure of the specs on the building.      Just an idea.   Maybe 12 mats total.    Not sure what Purdue would charge for rent. 

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

you don't think you could get 12 mats down in Lambert I remember that place being huge

Boiler Elite hosted tournament there maybe twice 7-8 yrs ago maybe longer

https://www.facebook.com/PurdueWrestling/photos/a.191067720937152.40153.138903979486860/977034082340508/?type=3&theater

Here's a pic of lambert with a couple of mats, and mats are college sized.

the upstairs isn't very big is it, but do think 12 mats would fit it has a full size indoor track doesn't it?

I just looked at the Purdue site and it said it could seat 3500.    That might work.  It does have a full size indoor track.   The Purdue site indicated it was a 200 Meter track.  Can you calculate square footage of that.  Unfortunately it didn't have specs on the size of it.    Concessions would be an issue.    You would have to have tables somewhere.  But apparently they used to have basketball games there with over 7K attending.

http://www.purduesports.com/trads/pur-m-fb-lambertfield.html

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Didn't they used to have the the Great Lakes Wrestling Tournament at Lambert during freestyle season back in the early 1990's? Can't recall how many mat they had down but it seems pretty big back then.

Does grand park in Westfield have anything in their new compound that could accommodate the event?

Grand Park has 2 facilities being built. One is for court sports and the other for field sports. I don't think they would rent the field sports building for a sport like wrestling and it is the much bigger of the 2. And I doubt the court sports field house would have the space or the seating.

On top of that grand park is extremely expensive. I'm guessing the Indy convention center would probably be a more realistic option.

If you pulled back the bleachers on the end you could possibly get 8 mats max in there... I am not even sure what type of condition that place is in anymore....

Unfortunately, the Wigwam isn't in good enough condition to host this or much of anything now. It hasn't been maintained very well if at all for years. Not sure it would be big enough anyway. USAW Central Regionals was hosted there once, I think in 2003 and had to put mats in the balcony end opposite the stage.

Lambert is huge. You gotta figure. They hold big ten indoor track and field in there. That would include the 60 meter dash. Also they have to have room to start and stop. That would make it longer than 60 yards. That would be plenty long to have two rows of 6 mats. It would be plenty wide also (due to the fact that they do throwing events in there). Also the Purdue wrestling room is down a few step below the stands. The permanent seating is raised. If we could add some lower level seating, Lambert would work great.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000BiZUKbqtVf0/s/600/600/Lambert-Fieldhouse-2957.jpg

Edited by Mattyb

maxresdefault.jpg

35,000+ wrestling fans in one venue for a dual?!

Grapple on the Gridiron... 

Seriously though, is there any way to pull off a IHSWCA State at Lucas Oil?  

• Room for 24 mats like USAW Folkstyle Nationals at the UNI-Dome (or Freestyle/Greco Nationals at the FargoDome)
  • Using 24 mats, you could go up to 8 mats and 16 teams per class 
  • Give all teams 4 matches and place all 16 

Having 24 mats going all day filled with the best teams in Indiana would be incredible!

Some numbers I was able to scrape together show that IHSAA State Football Championships, which do 3 classes x 2 days, at Lucas Oil pull in about 20,000 people per day.  That's only 6 football teams per day.  I know football teams are bigger and football is more popular, but a centrally located IHSWCA State with 48 wrestling teams could pull some serious fans... no?  

Oh, btw - IHSAA charges $15 for the State football championships at Lucas Oil too.

I was talking to a guy yesterday at the Fort Wayne coliseum while watching 24 mats at the same time. An easy remedy would be put the chairs between the mats not in front of the spectators then the seats could be pulled all the way out problem solved.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.