Fred Tone

Major Ursula

I was saddened to hear about the passing of Fred Tone the former coach and principal at Bishop Dwenger. At Snider I was taught to hate Dwenger. Northrop and Dwenger are our biggest rivals. Mr. Tone made it very difficult to do so. He was grizzled in a charming way. He always told me how good I was doing as a wrestler as a coach and parent. When he found out I grew up Catholic he joked I could always come home. I joked I always have my kids ready for that tight waist ankle ride. He was a great mentor and Coach. I believe dad as well. In my eyes he was a legend. He is a Hall of Famer. May he rest in peace.~ Nyasa Rahsaan Neeley

Edited by Major Ursula

We'll miss Fred at AC, too. There's been a close bond between the Dwenger and AC wrestling teams for years because of the example Fred set and expected from his wrestlers. An example that has continued through his successors. His gravelly voice will be missed. Whether he was in the stands or at matside you could always find Fred by following the voice. Condolences to the Tone and entire Dwenger family from AC.

J. "Fred" Tone, 70, passed away Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at Parkview Regional Medical Center in Fort Wayne. Born in San Antonio, TX, Fred was a teacher, coach and principal at Bishop Dwenger High School for 42 years, retiring in 2010. He was a member of the National Association of Secondary Principals, Indiana Football Coaches Hall of Fame and Indiana Wrestling Coaches Hall of Fame. Surviving are his wife of 48 years, Sandy; sons, John F. Jr (Karin) of Fort Wayne, IN and Jason M. (Cheri) of Suffolk, VA; grandchildren, Jackson, Emma, Payton, Wilson, Parker & Allison; brothers, Thomas B. Tone and Michael S. Tone both of Fort Wayne, IN; sister, Marsha A. Gibson of Fort Wayne, IN. Fred was preceded in death by his parents, Thomas B (Tuck). and Eleanor (Dolly) Tone. Mass of Christian Burial is 1:30 pm, Saturday, January 2, 2016 at St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church (4916 Trier Rd.) with calling one hour prior. Calling will also be Friday, January 1, 2016, from 2:00 pm - 8:00 pm at Bishop Dwenger High School, 1300 East Washington Center Road. Burial in Highland Park Cemetery, Fort Wayne, Indiana. Memorials may be made to: Bishop Dwenger High School. To sign the online guest book, go to www.domccombandsons.com

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.