3A Team State Draw and Discussion

Y2CJ41

Well, when it is all said and done, the matches still have to be wrestled out on the mat.  Whether you feel shunned, over-seeded or under-seeded, I am sure none of the boys will care once they start wrestling in what will be a great atmosphere for competetion. Let's appreciate what we have here and enjoy the great wrestling that will occur today!

Good luck to all those who are participating and thank you to everyone for having put forth their time and effort into making this event possible.

here here!  And while we're all revved up...any way you could make a commitment on D's behalf that Merrillville will come if invited for next year's event?   We need the East Chicago tree better represented at team state, man!  :)

The committee did destabilize the event. Placing the last three state champions in a single pool seems a bit over the top. It kind of makes you scratch your head and wonder if some old scores were being settled. Real issue with an unbalanced draw is it allows a self fulfilling prophesy to be created. Say, for example, Cathedral loses narrow matches in the tuffest pool and places 9th. The seeding committee can say ‘we’re right. Cathedral places low once again.’ But a person could see Cathedral placing higher if they were in a different pool. Or let’s say Perry narrowly defeats Penn and Cathedral, but uses so much emotional and physical energy that they are spent and lose to Brownsburg. The committee can say, ‘we’re right. Perry is 3rd.’

Such self fulfilling prophesies can become quite convenient justifications after the fact when teams have been align so as to produce desired outcomes.

Just because they were the best in the state in recent years doesn't mean they still are. Graduations happen. Other programs get better.

Agreed , How in the hell does Brownsburg get a #2 seed ????????? Penn has 2 #1 ranked wrestlers , 2 #3 ranked wrestlers and a #4 . Brownsburg isn't even close to this . Penn , Portage and Perry Meridian would all beat Brownsburg . The #2 and #3 best teams in the state are in the same pool .

Agreed. We should have seeded them #1

And if the Individual Rankings were correct , everyone would of known Brownsburg is a top team . Lets be honest , they have at least 10 kids that should be ranked .

Let's be honest, we would all love to see your correct individual rankings. Remember, this is a TEAM event and well, match-ups win not individual rankings. I think the seeds demonstrated Brownsburg was a top team, some didn't believe so until today.

Congrats to all 3 championship teams!

Congrats Brownsburg on a job well done. Your kids wrestled hard and they earned the state title. P.S. It was nothing personal, I'm just a fan of another team, much respect for your program. It isn't a huge shock as you guys have been making waves in middle school and at Disney for quite sometime now.

Congrats Brownsburg on a job well done. Your kids wrestled hard and they earned the state title. P.S. It was nothing personal, I'm just a fan of another team, much respect for your program. It isn't a huge shock as you guys have been making waves in middle school and at Disney for quite sometime now.

What a joke.

how does crow taste?

Let's be honest, we would all love to see your correct individual rankings. Remember, this is a TEAM event and well, match-ups win not individual rankings. I think the seeds demonstrated Brownsburg was a top team, some didn't believe so until today.

Congrats to all 3 championship teams!

And I say Bull Crap . Why has Warren been #1 all year ? Because they have 9 ranked kids . Do you see any teams  with 3-4 ranked kids beating Warren ? No you don't , so number of ranked kids does have a lot to do with how strong a team is . When Brownsburg's unranked kids are beating and or competing well with highly ranked kids from both Perry Meridian and Warren Central , that tells me they should be ranked . I'll bet when the new state rankings come out Brownsburg will have 2-3 more guys ranked , bringing their total to 8-9 ranked . 

Edited by M109R

How can you say it wasent a huge shock, you called their seed a joke?

And I say Bull Crap . Why has Warren been #1 all year ? Because they have 9 ranked kids . Do you see any teams with 3-4 ranked kids beating Warren ? No you don't , so number of ranked kids does have a lot to do with how strong a team is . When Brownsburg's unranked kids are beating and or competing well with highly ranked kids from both Perry Meridian and Warren Central , that tells me they should be ranked . I'll bet when the new state rankings come out Brownsburg will have 2-3 more guys ranked , bringing their total to 8-9 ranked .

The stronger teams will always have a handful of ranked wrestlers. I think what Brownsburg did between their ranked guys helped too

106 both ranked

113 both ranked

120 both ranked

126 warren ranked returning SQ

132 neither ranked

138 Lee probably top 3 possibly 1

145 McKinney bumped ranked

152 warren ranked

160 warren returning medalist ranked

170 Walton #2 pinned Herrick returning SS champ

182 brownsburg ranke

195 tonte is a finalist

220 McCormick was ranked at 95 had some losses Knox Abbott has been in and out of the rankings all year.

285 slick rick keeps beating ranked guys.

This is what the dual Tourney is about. Guys like Rickey Clark winning the big match. Brogan is a SQ has some good wins. Slick rick got to be one of the Heroes Saturday congrats!

And I say Bull Crap . Why has Warren been #1 all year ? Because they have 9 ranked kids . Do you see any teams  with 3-4 ranked kids beating Warren ? No you don't , so number of ranked kids does have a lot to do with how strong a team is . When Brownsburg's unranked kids are beating and or competing well with highly ranked kids from both Perry Meridian and Warren Central , that tells me they should be ranked . I'll bet when the new state rankings come out Brownsburg will have 2-3 more guys ranked , bringing their total to 8-9 ranked .

Say what you want, your logic of saying more ranked wrestlers makes a better team in a dual format is flawed. It's how teams match up and if rankings won matches, we wouldn't need to wrestle. How many times have there been upsets at team state that impacted the winner? Nearly every year. Like i said, the seedlings appeared to have been very accurate and well, nuff said. I do agree that there will likely be more Brownsburg kids ranked or at least on the watch list if not already.

Has everyone seen the updated Individual rankings ? Brownsburg has 10 ranked wrestlers . If they had 10 ranked wrestlers 1 week ago , nobody would of questioned their #2 seeding at team state . Well maybe we would of questioned why they are not seeded #1 . Hats off to coach Snyder , amazing what they have done in such a short time . And to RAJR , the team currently with the most ranked wrestlers , is the best team in the state . It's a fact that teams with 4,5,6 ranked wrestlers are not going to beat Brownburg or Warren with their 9-10 ranked . It was proven last weekend . 

Edited by M109R

The performance they showed at the Ihswca helped some of the guys get in mills, weaver murkey Lee Damler Walton(6) McCormick was ranked early then after Mooresville he would have been back in. Clark has some big wins beating sutton at Mooresville and Allen and Owen were on the cut line but strong showings at Ihswca and a weight drop got them in. Penn still has 106,113,120,145(left out by mistake) 152,160 220

Has everyone seen the updated Individual rankings ? Brownsburg has 10 ranked wrestlers . If they had 10 ranked wrestlers 1 week ago , nobody would of questioned their #2 seeding at team state . Well maybe we would of questioned why they are not seeded #1 . Hats off to coach Snyder , amazing what they have done in such a short time . And to RAJR , the team currently with the most ranked wrestlers , is the best team in the state . It's a fact that teams with 4,5,6 ranked wrestlers are not going to beat Brownburg or Warren with their 9-10 ranked . It was proven last weekend .

Your line of reasoning is just so far off its hard to take it seriously. You are putting the cart before the horse.

Teams aren't good because of the number of ranked guys they have. They get ranked because they're good and over the course of a season, every decent team has a chance to prove that.

You ridiculed the committee for their work and yet you still don't get it. If you want to find out how good a team is for a dual, write down all 14 guys. Look at their record. Look at their schedule. Look at what their record was last year. Look at where they placed in state tournament last year. I can honestly say that we seeded all of 3A and we didn't spend one second on the rankings page, because that's not how dual meets work, especially when you're looking at rankings three weeks into the season

That's not how this works... That's not how any of this works...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.