3A Team State Draw and Discussion

Y2CJ41

Ranked wrestlers rarely tell how deep a team is. Cathedral with their 7 ranked wrestlers lost to Lawrence North with only 3 ranked wrestlers in a dual meet.

Carroll just had three first year starters place at the Al Smith this week. And they also only lost to Lawrence North by 3 points earlier in the season.

Might want to look past just ranked wrestlers as Cathedral's other 7 went 7-16 at the Mooresville tournament...that's an average of 1-2 for each kid.

Lol ok good thing Penn and Perry drew Cathedral instead of Carrol cus Penn and Perry aren't very deep. Lol. My point was whomever wins C flight is unquestionably going to have to wrestle tougher competition top to bottom than D flight. Is that even in question.

Lol ok good thing Penn and Perry drew Cathedral instead of Carrol cus Penn and Perry aren't very deep. Lol. My point was whomever wins C flight is unquestionably going to have to wrestle tougher competition top to bottom than D flight. Is that even in question.

You probably should just crown whoever wins the C pool the champion because obviously they will be the best team. No other team will face any type of competition in their pools. The three best teams there are definitely Penn, Perry Meridian, and Cathedral. How can anyone see that with 7 ranked guys a team isn't the best in the state is absolutely sickening.

FWC found theirselves in the easiest bracket again this year.

Thanks for the jab, we were seeded 5th and placed 6th last year losing to #7 seed Avon.

You probably should just crown whoever wins the C pool the champion because obviously they will be the best team. No other team will face any type of competition in their pools. The three best teams there are definitely Penn, Perry Meridian, and Cathedral. How can anyone see that with 7 ranked guys a team isn't the best in the state is absolutely sickening.

Thanks for the jab, we were seeded 5th and placed 6th last year losing to #7 seed 

Don't think anyone said the C-pool winner is the best team in the state , Have they?  Where do you come up with this crap? 

The way everyone is talking up Cathedral they are the best team in the state.

Once again , saying a team is better than people think(With the current lineup) is somehow in your little mind saying they are the best team in the state ????? Can we at least agree that Portage is a very good wrestling team ? The Portage vs Cathedral dual (with Cathedrals current lineup) was very close . This would tell me that Cathedral (with it's current lineup) is a pretty good team as well . I believe at this point Warren Central is the best team in the state , I don't see where anyone has said they believe another school is better than Warren . 

Everyone who is there is pretty tough. What it will come down to is who can get the bonus points. With the rankings a lot of theses teams have tons of guys on the watchlist. The thing with cathedral is the guys who aren't ranked only Najem is on the watchlist. there are not any easy matches LN and Carroll are both well coached so BB will have their hand full.

Pool A
#1 Warren Central
#12 Avon
#13 Jennings County

Pool B
#4 Evansville Mater Dei
#5 Portage
Hamilton Southeastern

Pool C
#3 Perry Meridian
#6 Penn
#14 Cathedral

Pool D
#2 Brownsburg
#11 Lawrence North
#16 Carroll

How come the powers that be did not use the IndianaMat team rankings dated December 14?  I'm not trying to stir anything up...simply curious

How come the powers that be did not use the IndianaMat team rankings dated December 14? I'm not trying to stir anything up...simply curious

I'd say because it's IHSWCA event and not an IndianaMat event. While I'm sure they took into consideration the info that went into the IndianaMat rankings, the seeding committee didn't just rely on those rankings.

Plus, the seeding committee, to the best of their ability, tried to analyze the teams up to date lineups and how that would effect head to head matchups against the rest of the field.

I'd say those recent evaluations would have change what the IndianaMat rankings may have been since 12/14 too. Obviously, the new post event IndianaMat rankings would reflect the results of these matches.

Edited by MattM

The way everyone is talking up Cathedral they are the best team in the state probably better than they're seeding.

That's cute, but any team can claim they are underseeded. Maybe Carroll is better since they lost to Lawrence North by 3 points without a returning state qualifier. Maybe Jennings County is better, but without any significant results they weren't seeded. Maybe HSE had a bad night against Zionsville which really hurt their chances at a seed.

It is funny how people fail to comprehend that Lawrence North and Avon both defeated Cathedral in duals this season.

Pool C just has 3 teams that can all claim each team is under seeded. No other bracket can do that.

And there was no jab Y2. It's just the truth. FWC found itself in the easiest bracket again this year.

Actually Pool A with Mater Dei, Westfield, and New Palestine was the worst pool. Westfield lost in their consolation bout and New Palestine finish 8th. On top of that Carmel was better than Westfield last year.

Where is the talk of Mater Dei having a chance to win?  Will they have Egli?  Can they beat portage?

I think Mater Dei beats Portage without Will Egli and Nick Lee.  They will need 106 Clay Egli, who did not wrestle at the MD classic, though.  30-25 MD. 

Pool A
#1 Warren Central
#12 Avon
#13 Jennings County

Pool B
#4 Evansville Mater Dei
#5 Portage
Hamilton Southeastern

Pool C
#3 Perry Meridian
#6 Penn
#14 Cathedral

Pool D
#2 Brownsburg
#11 Lawrence North
#16 Carroll

The committee did a great job putting these pools together.  The only possible change would be Penn #5 and Portage #6, because I think Penn is the better team and would have a better chance to beat MD.  But that's it.  No other teams have a chance in beating the top 4 seeds other then Portage and Penn.  I think the committee's goal is to have the top 4 seeds are left standing going into the semis and I think they get their wish.

Great job again.

Good luck BBurg and Warren in the finals!

Well, when it is all said and done, the matches still have to be wrestled out on the mat.  Whether you feel shunned, over-seeded or under-seeded, I am sure none of the boys will care once they start wrestling in what will be a great atmosphere for competetion. Let's appreciate what we have here and enjoy the great wrestling that will occur today!

Good luck to all those who are participating and thank you to everyone for having put forth their time and effort into making this event possible.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.