3A Team State Draw and Discussion

Y2CJ41

Regardless of everyone's opinion, we'll find out on Saturday :D!

Now that we have the seeds & match-ups we can look at some great possible matches. This is 3A only.

Round 1

Pool A - Warren Central vs. Jennings County

152 - #4 Trent Pruitt WC vs. #9 Andrew Herrin JC

195 - #1 Tristen Tonte WC vs. #10 Christian Redmond JC

285 - #4 Brendon Sutton JC vs. #5 Jasion Brogan WC

Pool B - Evansville Mater Dei vs. Hamilton Southeastern

182 - #12 Spencer Irick HSE vs. #13 Seth Orth MD

Pool C - Perry Meridian vs. Indianapolis Cathedral

106 - #2 Sam Fair PM vs. #13 Lukasz Walendzak Cathedral

113 - #6 Sunny Nier PM vs. #9 Jordan Slivka Cathedral

132 - #3 Zack Melloh Cathedral vs. #8 DJ Brookbank PM

Pool D - Brownburg vs. Carroll

No ranked match-ups

Round 2

Pool A - Warren Central vs. Avon

106 - #1 Keyuan Murphy WC vs. #5 Asa Garcia Avon

152 - #4 Trent Pruitt WC vs. #14 Jacob Clark Avon

285 - #5 Jasion Brogan WC vs. #8 Brett Henson Avon

Pool B - Evansville Mater Dei vs. Portage

120 - #5 Kyle Luigs MD vs. #11 Miguel Prado Portage

145 - #1 Joe Lee MD vs. #8 Kasper McIntosh Portage

Pool C - Perry Meridian vs. Penn

106 - #2 Sam Fair PM vs. #3 Kory Cavanaugh Penn

113 - #4 Austin Slates Penn vs. #6 Sunny Nier PM

152 - #6 Brett Johnson PM vs. #8 Denzyl Prentice Penn

160 - #3 Jarod Swank Penn vs. #6 Noah Warren PM

Pool D - Brownsburg vs. Lawrence North

170 - #2 Nathan Walton BB vs. #9 Ricky Samuels LN

182 - #3 Cameron Jones LN vs. #14 CJ Dalmer BB

Round 3

Pool A - Avon vs. Jennings County

152 - #9 Andrew Herrin JC vs. #14 Jacob Clark Avon

220 - #3 Gunnar Larson Avon vs. #13 Brady Shepherd JC

285 - #4 Brendon Sutton JC vs. #8 Brett Henson Avon

Pool B - Portage vs. Hamilton Southeastern

126 - #3 Gaige Torres Portage vs. #4 Austin Holmes HSE

Pool C - Penn vs. Indianapolis Catherdral

106 - #3 Kory Cavanaugh Penn vs. #13 Lukasz Walendzak Cathedral

113 - #4 Austin Slates Penn vs. #9 Jordan Slivka Cathedral

220 - #1 Kobe Woods Penn vs. #4 Ryan Guhl Cathedral

Pool D - Carroll vs. Lawrence North

No ranked match-ups

As always I am sure I missed a few. There will be quite a few more great match-ups that I did not mention, just went with ranked wrestlers. I am sure there will be some guys bumping for best team results as well. What are some other great match-ups you guys are looking forward to?

Edited by GAT36

How do you define screw job? Putting the 2015 state champions (Penn), and the 2014 state champions (Cathedral), and the 2013 state champions (Perry M.), all in the same pool at team state. Ouch!

this is a dual event.  at last year's dual meet title meet, perry was second, penn was third and cathedral was 10th.  that being said, i'm not sure how last year's finishes are relevant (graduation, skill improvement, weight gain, etc).  

as far as a screw job, i am willing to wager that perry prefers penn in their bracket rather than portage, md or browsburg.

I think 12 is a good number, especially with this year. Cathedral may not have made the top 8 and I believe they will cause headaches for Perry and Penn.

I do not see it. In each dual, cathedral is a favorite in only four matches. Perry and penny are both "big match" teams. It would take a monster effort and some breaks for ic to come close to either club.

Perry & Penn match up well with Cathedral because both teams are strong at 6 & 13. Cathedral has some horses at 26,32,82 (now with Blake's cut), 95, & 220. That's 5 weight classes you could get "6" from. Penn matches up even better with Kobe at 220.

this is a dual event. at last year's dual meet title meet, perry was second, penn was third and cathedral was 10th. that being said, i'm not sure how last year's finishes are relevant (graduation, skill improvement, weight gain, etc).

as far as a screw job, i am willing to wager that perry prefers penn in their bracket rather than portage, md or browsburg.

I think the issue is that there are a few teams that feel they are more deserving of BB's cushy spot.

#2-6 may be close, but I feel BB is a lot closer to a 6 than 2, regardless of how short the hairs are that separate them.

Harper's Army circling the wagons

blazing16.gif

Well yeah, it'll take a group effort to pull that horseshoe out of Brownsburg's...

technical_difficulties_please_stand_by3.

Bottom line>>>>wrestling is decided on the mat. Not by seeds or stats or rankings. You win by how you finish. No luck , no blame, its one wrestler against another. Hard work and dedication always pays off.

Malarkey. If that were the case it'd be a purely blind draw. Literally no organized professional, and most amateur (IN high school athletics being one of the few exceptions and most widely ridiculed all in formats), sports use blind draws for championship contention. Rankings are a factor.

IF YOU ARE RANKED 1ST AND YOU GET BEAT...DOESNT MATTER!!! YOU LOSE. TIRED OF ALL THE BS ABOUT WHO SHOULD OR SHOULDNT BE RANKED, AND WHO USED TO BE GOOD AND ALL THE OTHER CRAP. JUST WIN AND NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT AWAY FROM YOU. PROVE IT ON THE MAT, AND LET EVERYONE ELSE YAK ABOUT WHAT COULDA WOULD SHOULDA.

IF YOU ARE RANKED 1ST AND YOU GET BEAT...DOESNT MATTER!!! YOU LOSE. TIRED OF ALL THE BS ABOUT WHO SHOULD OR SHOULDNT BE RANKED, AND WHO USED TO BE GOOD AND ALL THE OTHER CRAP. JUST WIN AND NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT AWAY FROM YOU. PROVE IT ON THE MAT, AND LET EVERYONE ELSE YAK ABOUT WHAT COULDA WOULD SHOULDA.

Caps lock is on . 

What's the highest an unseeded team has finished at this event? And have there ever been any teams with higher numbered seeds that have placed much higher than expected?

Looking back at the last three years on Track:

2014-15: unseeded teams went 5-24 against seeded teams across the 3 classes.  Franklin placed 7th in 3A, with seeded Cathedral falling to tied for 9-10th. Churubusco placed 5th and Central Noble 8th in 1A.

2013-14: 8 team brackets, with 4 seeds and 4 non-seeds.   Unseeded teams went 2-12, with S. Putnam getting 3rd out of 8 in 1A with two very tight wins over the 3 and 4 seeds. No other unseeded team won a match against a seed.

2012-13: 8 team brackets, with 4 seeds and 4 non-seeds. Unseeded teams went 4-18 against seeds, with Cass and Prairie Heights upsetting the 3 and 4 seeds to place 3rd and 4th themselves in 1A and Culver Academies getting 4th in 2A.

Edited by maligned

Looking back at the last three years on Track:

2014-15: unseeded teams went 5-24 against seeded teams across the 3 classes.  Franklin placed 7th in 3A, with seeded Cathedral falling to tied for 9-10th. Churubusco placed 5th and Central Noble 8th in 1A.

2013-14: 8 team brackets, with 4 seeds and 4 non-seeds.   Unseeded teams went 2-12, with S. Putnam getting 3rd out of 8 in 1A with two very tight wins over the 3 and 4 seeds. No other unseeded team won a match against a seed.

2012-13: 8 team brackets, with 4 seeds and 4 non-seeds. Unseeded teams went 4-18 against seeds, with Cass and Prairie Heights upsetting the 3 and 4 seeds to place 3rd and 4th themselves in 1A and Culver Academies getting 4th in 2A.

Carry your point forward to the "debate" between Mr. CAPS and others it would appear that seeds may play a part in the order of finish unless the separation between the teams in those 3 years was so wide it was anti-climatic.

Carry your point forward to the "debate" between Mr. CAPS and others it would appear that seeds may play a part in the order of finish unless the separation between the teams in those 3 years was so wide it was anti-climatic.

What those 3 years tell me is that the seeds have been pretty accurate.  Last year, for example:

Seeds 1-4 vs. unseeded: 12-0

Seeds 1-4 vs. seeds 5-8: 12-0

Seeds 5-8 vs. unseeded: 12-5

Edited by maligned

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.