2A Team State Draw and Discussion

Y2CJ41

I think 2A might be the most competitive overall. I could see Yorktown, Delta and Belmont each winning it if things fall the right way. I'm really looking forward to watch this class. One more reason to support class wrestling is the competiveness of these teams!!!

Jimtown is also really strong and very accurately seeded at #5

I think 2A might be the most competitive overall. I could see Yorktown, Delta and Belmont each winning it if things fall the right way. I'm really looking forward to watch this class. One more reason to support class wrestling is the competiveness of these teams!!!

Jimtown is also really strong and very accurately seeded at #5

It's wide open! Can't wait to go into battle with our team!!

#HammerTime

I guess you can say Mount Vernon got Konrathed.  Without their top stud, all star, all American, college/olympic bound (yet hasn't won state) they get no love in the south.  Yes, he was a major piece in what made that team but I've got to wonder if they would have been given more consideration or a better draw had he been a part of the team.  Would they have been moved to a different bracket to face teams that they haven't already seen this season had they had their "champ"?  Now MV gets to pay their $175 team fee and well over $1400 in hotel costs to travel over 5 hours to wrestle two teams that they've already wrestled, one which they could travel 30 minutes to wrestle and waste 2 pts on their team schedule for the season. 

As an unseeded team you would think that they could at least be placed into a bracket with teams that they haven't already faced.

#daddysboy #quitter

I guess you can say Mount Vernon got Konrathed.  Without their top stud, all star, all American, college/olympic bound (yet hasn't won state) they get no love in the south.  Yes, he was a major piece in what made that team but I've got to wonder if they would have been given more consideration or a better draw had he been a part of the team.  Would they have been moved to a different bracket to face teams that they haven't already seen this season had they had their "champ"?  Now MV gets to pay their $175 team fee and well over $1400 in hotel costs to travel over 5 hours to wrestle two teams that they've already wrestled, one which they could travel 30 minutes to wrestle and waste 2 pts on their team schedule for the season. 

As an unseeded team you would think that they could at least be placed into a bracket with teams that they haven't already faced.

#daddysboy #quitter

I'm not sure you understand how the seeding/pairing works.  The top 8 teams are seeded according to season performance and drawn in according to strict 1vs8, 2vs7, 3vs6...and so on...procedures.  The 4 unseeded teams are then randomly drawn in.  It's understandable it's disappointing to be wrestling teams you've already seen, but whatever conspiracy you're implying is misplaced.  Also, I'd recommend erasing those hashtags unless you want to appear bitter.

#daddysboy #quitter

This whole post is very distasteful from the very start to the very end. What a shame!!!

I'm not sure you understand how the seeding/pairing works.  The top 8 teams are seeded according to season performance and drawn in according to strict 1vs8, 2vs7, 3vs6...and so on...procedures.  The 4 unseeded teams are then randomly drawn in.  It's understandable it's disappointing to be wrestling teams you've already seen, but whatever conspiracy you're implying is misplaced.  Also, I'd recommend erasing those hashtags unless you want to appear bitter.

Thank you maligned for explaining the seeding process for this event.  I just thought that for the money these teams are paying that the committee could take the extra 15 minutes to seed the remaining 4 teams so there is no way for people to debate over a teams bracket placement or put the beer and wings down for a second and take in to consideration other factors such as geography and opponents teams have already faced when looking at your 4 unseeded teams to at least try and make the experience worth while for the kids involved.  Cause at the end of the day isn't that what this is all supposed to be about, high school kids and growing the sport? 

As for my hashtags making me appear bitter, I appreciate your concern.  Let me assure you that I am not a father, mother, brother or sister of any kid involved in this program.  My only ties to it are that I attended the school and continue to follow the team because I enjoy the sport.  I just hate to see a group of boys that have come up through the youth program together have a "teammate" put himself above the team.  Plenty of wrestlers have come through this state with college and olympic goals and they didn't put themselves above their team and coaches.  Would MV win the Team State title with that one extra wrestler?  Probably not.  But having that caliber of a wrestler standing beside them, fighting with them everyday during the season might just give some of those kids a little extra motivation to keep pushing to get better as a team.  Thats what high school sports is supposed to be about.

You know that crossed my mind when I heard the news of Paul's decision to not compete in High School wrestling, you didn't see Alex Tsirtsis, Angel Escobedo, Andrew Howe, Reece Humphrey, Blake Maurer, etc go down this path that Paul chose to go down. Heck even Chad Red and Nick Lee didn't. It is unfortunate for Mt.Vernon, with Paul in the lineup and the rest at full strength they could've been one of the top teams in 2A.

We're already in a new era that most of those guys you mention weren't a part of--that of easy access to all the information needed to make a decision of the magnitude Paul made.  Many around the country are making this type of decision in the past several seasons, and it's paid very nice dividends for a few of them already.  Kyle Snyder took his senior year off of high school to train only freestyle and just won the world championships at the tender age of 19.  Aaron Pico took two years off of high school to train freestyle and MMA.  He's won two junior world medals and just scored a huge long-term MMA deal.  Granted, Paul isn't quite at those guys' level, but we're in a new era now where there's so much information out there for making informed decisions based on feedback from a wide variety of college and independent sources.  In the end, though...it's HIS decision.  I don't understand why we aren't rooting for him rather than tearing him down and calling him names from a message board when he owes us nothing.

I agree the name calling and bashing of Paul was unnecessary, but IMO I don't see the benefits for Paul with this decision. I hope the best for him, but I feel like he could have the same opportunities he wishes to have if he had stuck with high school wrestling and won a couple State Titles.

I agree the name calling and bashing of Paul was unnecessary, but IMO I don't see the benefits for Paul with this decision. I hope the best for him, but I feel like he could have the same opportunities he wishes to have if he had stuck with high school wrestling and won a couple State Titles.

I agree with maligned, that it is HIS decision.  I agree with you in that I question whether it was the right one.  But I don't know the kid or the parents, nor the bigger picture of their plan.  Perhaps it will pay off in spades. Perhaps they will look back down the road and wonder if it was the right call.  But ultimately, they have to make the decision that is right for them and that should be supported.  I know it hurts MV's team, but outside of losing a practice partner, it should have no effect on any of their wrestlers come state tournament time.  I wish him the best and feel that all who support IN HS wrestling should do the same.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.