This doesn't seem possible

TheGenerealsDad

Was reading through Joe McFarland's bio for some reason and ran across this:

Formerly the head wrestling coach at Indiana University (1990-92), McFarland produced one of the most impressive first-year improvements in Big Ten Conference history when he guided the Hoosiers to a perfect 14-0 dual meet record in 1989-90, the program's first undefeated season since 1946. IU placed eighth at the NCAA Championships that season and claimed runner-up honors at the Big Ten Championships. Indiana was also the only unbeaten team in NCAA Division I in 1989-90 and reached the No. 5 national ranking in the final dual-meet listing by Amateur Wrestling News. McFarland produced three All-Americans and three Big Ten champions and was named the 1990 Big Ten Conference Coach of the Year.

I don't remember that for some reason and was shocked to see that was even possible.  I don't recall IU being that good ever.  Two questions - did McFarland just walk into a can't miss opportunity and how did IU let him get away after that?

Joe was Jim Humphrey's assistant when Hump left IU for Foxcatcher.  Hump and his assistants had recruited their butts off and had built a great team. Joe left IU to become the Head Assistant at Michigan, his alma mater. He was brought in to succeed Dale Bahr, Joe's college coach who planned to retire in a few years. As the story goes he was paid more for being the top assistant at Michigan than he was for being the head coach at IU.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.