How good is Prairie Heights?

aoberlin

With them handling Yorktown and still being undefeated? I say they would beat all 1A and 2A teams. How would they do against the top ten of the 3A? Any chance there will be any of those match ups in the future?

Bellmont would obviously be a good match if you're going to say they'd beat all 2A teams.  Since they did already "handle" (by 2 points) Yorktown and Leo virtually tied Bellmont, I guess you'd have to think they'd have a shot to beat everyone in that division.  

If you translated their Duals qualifying results from last year to the 3A system, they would have been 13th--suggesting they would be expected to be the 13th best duals team in 3A this season.  Although I think they could beat a team or two above that level in 3A on the right day, I think that's probably a good estimate of where they would place if you wrestled a round robin among them and the top 20 teams from 3A.  

Although it was 45-30 against Leo...Leo gave up 12 for FF and our varsity 138 was on vacation and the reserve did his best but was another 6. That's 18! Of course even if we did have wrestlers in those spots it only gives us a "chance" to make the score different. PH has a very solid team no doubt!!! Score might not have changed....who knows.....Great job and great team!

As a former Bellmont wrestler and now supporting Leo...it was nice to see the excitement of wrestling a program like Bellmont. I think people felt what it is when you have a good program that wrestles a good program. Exciting!

Edited by Athenr

Although it was 45-30 against Leo...Leo gave up 12 for FF and our varsity 138 was on vacation and the reserve did his best but was another 6. That's 18! Of course even if we did have wrestlers in those spots it only gives us a "chance" to make the score different. PH has a very solid team no doubt!!! Score might not have changed....who knows.....Great job and great team!

As a former Bellmont wrestler and now supporting Leo...it was nice to see the excitement of wrestling a program like Bellmont. I think people felt what it is when you have a good program that wrestles a good program. Exciting!

Nothing against Leo they are a great squad and their coach isn't too shabby either. But Joe and John Forfiet are losses no matter what. Leo is a 2A school and PH is an 1A and they are fielding a full squad. Plus the 138 from PH is no joke.

Side note, I saw Laughlin wrestled 152 against them and McCormick went 160. Does anybody know if that's the plan for the season?

I've yet to see Prairie Heights, but I remember they looked really good last year and returned a lot of starters this year. With the Al Smith coming up, it will be interesting to see how they place among some of the top 3A teams that will be there.

Side note, I saw Laughlin wrestled 152 against them and McCormick went 160. Does anybody know if that's the plan for the season?

I've yet to see Prairie Heights, but I remember they looked really good last year and returned a lot of starters this year. With the Al Smith coming up, it will be interesting to see how they place among some of the top 3A teams that will be there.

I'm sure that was just a matchup thing to try to gain an advantage against the Levitzes.

From what I saw the score of the Yorktown match was 33-22. That seems like a good win to me.

Oh, ok...I thought it was 34-32.  I see the match details now.  I know there was a connection issue with Track during the match, but I was trying to interpret what had really happened.  Yes, 33-22 is a nicer win.

With the Al Smith coming up, it will be interesting to see how they place among some of the top 3A teams that will be there.

It will be fun to watch them, but I'm not sure they're built for scoring high points at an event like that.  They're so tough in duals because their 6th to 14th best guys are better than everyone else's, but they've only got 5 guys semi-state ranked and only 2 state-ranked (impressive totals, but not by 3A top 10 standards).  Getting a couple top 5s and maybe 4 to 6 placers overall won't rack up big points, unfortunately.  Who knows, though...they've been rolling so far.

Edited by maligned

The program is going to be shockingly good for the foreseeable future... Most of the kids on the team have been wrestling since they started wearing diapers... I remember attending ISWA events when I was in high school and seeing these kids run around on the mat with a bottle in their mouths... It's nice to see their dedication pay off!

Prairie Heights is an outstanding team.  They are well-coached and their kids wrestle hard.  Although we don't like being on the losing end of a dual meet score, it was a great dual that we were proud to be a part of.  Congratulations Prairie Heights wrestlers, coaches and fans and best of luck to you the rest of this season.

Coach McCormick

Nothing against Leo they are a great squad and their coach isn't too shabby either. But Joe and John Forfiet are losses no matter what. Leo is a 2A school and PH is an 1A and they are fielding a full squad. Plus the 138 from PH is no joke.

I don't disagree, hence why I said the score might not have changed and it would only give us a "chance" to change the score. However, as I always say..... you have to wrestle the match before awarding the winner! Now get those boys playing football :)

I don't disagree, hence why I said the score might not have changed and it would only give us a "chance" to change the score. However, as I always say..... you have to wrestle the match before awarding the winner! Now get those boys playing football :)

That football comment is a sore subject.. Let's just say the wrestling program has had 5 coaches in 40 some years with maybe 3 or 4 losing seasons. The football program has had at least 5 coaches in 10 years. Edited by Barrq

Hats off to these guys for their schedule, they wrestle a tougher schedule than many 3a schools. Would be easy for them to wrestle only 1 and 2A competition and call it a year but they probably have more 3A wins than half the 3A schools and wrestle at the Al Smith, which many schools wouldn't imagine putting on their schedule.  

Edited by CoachM

That football comment is a sore subject.. Let's just say the wrestling program has had 5 coaches in 40 some years with maybe 3 or 4 losing seasons. The football program has had at least 5 coaches in 10 years.

Travis should be the coach of every sport at that school.

Travis should be the coach of every sport at that school.

Travis has a pretty good focus on trying to win a national championship and graduating in May, Then I'm positive he will be looking for a coaching job he seems to be pretty excited about that.

Travis has a pretty good focus on trying to win a national championship and graduating in May, Then I'm positive he will be looking for a coaching job he seems to be pretty excited about that.

Here is what I wonder. If he got his brains and looks from his mom what did he get from you?

Also know he is always welcome to help me with the youth of tomorrow. ;)

It will be fun to watch them, but I'm not sure they're built for scoring high points at an event like that.  They're so tough in duals because their 6th to 14th best guys are better than everyone else's, but they've only got 5 guys semi-state ranked and only 2 state-ranked (impressive totals, but not by 3A top 10 standards).  Getting a couple top 5s and maybe 4 to 6 placers overall won't rack up big points, unfortunately.  Who knows, though...they've been rolling so far.

About as expected so far--every guy wins at least a match and most win 3+, but they're left with 5 placers heading into Day 2.  They sit in 6th place, with 5 state-ranked teams above them, plus state-ranked Columbus East right behind them all having 6 to 9 placers.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.