Mater Dei Classic

1prouddad

Duncan hung in with red the whole match. Red pinned previous 3 in quick time....15 seconds on two of them and under a minute with third kid. Duncan never threatened to win, but wrestled the #1 kid in country to a decision. He was a tough kid.

Edited by 2on1

Man 152 was loaded!

1st - Nick Foster - Belleville West

- 3rd in IL 3A losing to OPRF in semis.

- Beat Covaciu, Bam Lawrence and Alston Bane in Scholastic Duals last year

2nd - Jackson Oxford

- 3rd in KY last year, losing only to Benjamin Barton

3rd - Benjamin Barton

- KY State Champ last year

4th - Mitch Lehman (MD)

5th - Jacob Clark (Avon)

- SS Qualifier

6th - Eugene Starks (New Pal)

- 35-4 and sectional champ last year. Not listed in regional. Anyone remember what happened?

Also in bracket were former SS qualifiers:

Chance Williams - (Ev. Memorial)

Hunter Baehl - (Gibson Southern)

Man 152 was loaded!

2nd - Jackson Oxford

3rd - Benjamin Barton

4th - Mitch Lehman (MD)

5th - Jacob Clark (Avon)

- SS Qualifier

- 35-4 and sectional champ last year. Not listed in regional. Anyone remember what happened?

Man 152 was loaded!

2nd - Jackson Oxford

3rd - Benjamin Barton

4th - Mitch Lehman (MD)

5th - Jacob Clark (Avon)

- SS Qualifier

Man 152 was loaded!

2nd - Jackson Oxford

3rd - Benjamin Barton

4th - Mitch Lehman (MD)

5th - Jacob Clark (Avon)

- SS Qualifier

Man 152 was loaded!

2nd - Jackson Oxford

3rd - Benjamin Barton

4th - Mitch Lehman (MD)

5th - Jacob Clark (Avon)

- SS Qualifier

Wow Timberman over Lee? He's been in on every match on Joe and finally squeaked one out. Big win

Lee majored him last year at the holiday classic 19-7. Timberman closed that gap at the team state with Joe winning 14-11 which leads us to today. Great match

Man that's going to light a fire under joe, hope that plays out under the lights

I think Brayton Lee may have something to say about that. You also have Austin Bethel who gave Timberman a heck of a match. Gonna be exciting that's for sure.

Lee majored him last year at the holiday classic 19-7. Timberman closed that gap at the team state with Joe winning 14-11 which leads us to today. Great match

1proud, I think the coaches missed the call on the outstanding match (Timberman vs. Lee).  Regardless of who you supported in the match, you have a big gripe with the referee.  Coach Red certainly did.  Literally, every fan in the building was upset--during the match.

On top of that, out of bounds resets and blood time-outs were too numerous to count.  I cannot remember a match that has required more time to reach a conclusion.  Zero momentum.  

Timberman and Lee are tremendous;  if you are 145-pounds, you do not want to wrestle either of them.  

Meanwhile, the 120 title match provided a ton of action, excitement and stress--in a 3-1 decision.  Two great kids and a match that eventually turned on a gutsy, last second escape in the second period.  Hats off to Union County's champ, Saul Ervin, and Mater Dei's Kyle Luigs.  

As a Mater Dei fan, I was disappointed with both outcomes.  Under the same circumstances, I would sit at home for another Lee/Timberman match-up;  I would pay $8 just see Luigs/Ervin, part 2.

120 was definitely the best match. Both wrestlers kept majority of the action toward the center of the mat and poured everything they had into this match. Some of the best scrambles I've seen in along time. That's the difference between this match and 145. Majority of Lee's match was Lee the aggressor. ALOT of action ended up out of bounds and I think the ref should have enforced that a little better. Not sure if you want to call it fleeing as I did in another post, or was it Lee being so aggressive that it moved the action out of center. Blood time was insane, to the point I was concerned Lee was about to run out. With all that being said, 120 was more exciting, but I'd pay to see both again.

As for nobody wanting to wrestle either of them, Bethel was right there with Timberman till he hurt his knee. Though he finished the .aatch and lost by 2, it definately affected him.

Well I can see there are a lot of mater dei fans in this discussion don't get me wrong the Luigs and Ervin match was exciting in my opinion it wasn't the best. Timberman wasn't expected to win at all. But that kid went out there and defended every shot by lee extremely well and we all know that two on one stalling call was not stalling when lee was backing out of bounds trust me I'm not taking anything away from lee I still believe he'll be our state champion at 145 this year no matter who bumps up or down to 145. Timberman won that match far and square. Yes he cramped one time. But anyone remember when timberman had lee cradled up and the ref stopped it for blood time as timberman was turning him?

Well I can see there are a lot of mater dei fans in this discussion don't get me wrong the Luigs and Ervin match was exciting in my opinion it wasn't the best. Timberman wasn't expected to win at all. But that kid went out there and defended every shot by lee extremely well and we all know that two on one stalling call was not stalling when lee was backing out of bounds trust me I'm not taking anything away from lee I still believe he'll be our state champion at 145 this year no matter who bumps up or down to 145. Timberman won that match far and square. Yes he cramped one time. But anyone remember when timberman had lee cradled up and the ref stopped it for blood time as timberman was turning him?

All true. I was there watching. 

who said timberman did not win fair and square?

I think the 120 match was the match of the day. Both wrestlers are about as even as can be. The action was on the mat the entire match. In the 145 match there was so much blood time that the match never had any continuity. Joe bled a lot. I mean ... a lot!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.