Marion County Tournament

lubedluvsock

Great wrestling today. Warren really impressed me today with 8 champs. Can't believe no one is talking about this yet. 3 top twelve teams and multiple state place winners battling it out for a county championship. Congrats to Matt McKinney for winning his fourth County title. The only other guy to accomplish this is Stephen Bradley. Some notable results: Murphy over Fair, Turner over Nier, Culp over Smiley, McGhee over Services, McKinney over Ellis (McKinney looked amazing today), Pruitt over Johnson, Warren over Herrick (Warren also looked amazing).

I was able to follow this event all day yesterday. I am so proud of all the Warren Wrestling community! Hats off to Coach Tonte and Staff...the boys were ready to wrestle from top to bottom. My family has been involved with Warren Wrestling since 1995 and have never witnessed WC pull off a County title. Warren has had some great teams, including an eight to state team in 2000. However, WC was never able to outlast the BG Hornets, Wildcats or Falcons. Great job Warriors, keep the pain train rolling!

Lastly, big ups to my main man Matt McKinney. I know the work you have always put in...1% everyday!

MTXE,

Dan Williams

Congrats to WC on the dominating victory.

A question on a totally different note: Why such an enormous number of forfeits?  I saw that the bottom 6 placed teams, plus Pike, averaged 7 forfeits each.  That's half the field averaging half a squad.  Are kids off to vacation early or are all of those programs (some with history, like Pike, BD, BG, etc.) just that far down?

I was just talking about this today down in Columbus.  Couldn't believe how many forfeits that Ben Davis had (6).  How in the world could a school that size not field a full team?   Not wanting to put any school down at all but seems like when Moss left, it hasn't been the same.  Heck, Decatur Central had 9, Pike had 7.  Looks like Southport is making a nice rebound.  Times seem to be changing.  Congratulations Warren Central for your big win. 

Edited by rdrodd1

I'm guessing lineups will be more filled at tournament time, but it's strange to contrast the Marion County tournament (almost exclusively 3A schools) with the East Central Indiana Classic (almost exclusively 2A and 1A) being wrestled today.   Marion County had 64 forfeits from 14 teams (4.6 FF/team) and the ECIC brackets show 37 forfeits from 16 schools (2.3 FF/team).  Anyway, I don't want to beat a dead horse.  The County results just caught me by surprise.

Warren looked awesome Saturday!!!

I hate commenting on this board!

Post moss:

Ben Davis placed

3rd at county mic sectionals regionals and semi state last year

And placed 10th in the state tournament!

Two years ago we qualified 3 and had a state runner up

Last year we qualified 3 and had a state champ and a state 3rd Placer

I won't even get into the national success of our champ from last year.

Along with a coaches being recognized by the state association!

During the moss tenure we placed

1 kid at the state tournament

Post moss

We have placed 3 (in two years)

Had a kid in the finals each year

And won a state title

Now this year... I'm not going to get into that because it's a can of worms for me.

But they do have a lot of work to do

Starting with getting a coach in the high school building; that maybe a good start!

BD had 4 kids last year that were very tough to handle. 138 170 220 285. They could go against anyone in the State. 

BD had 4 kids last year that were very tough to handle. 138 170 220 285. They could go against anyone in the State. 

And Don't forget BD has the unquestionable not even close # 1 fan in wrestling who stands at all their meets and repeatedly chants over and over "Lets Go B......D..... !!!!"  Even IN Mat guy "ontherise219" got to enjoy this last year at the State Tournament. 

And Don't forget BD has the unquestionable not even close # 1 fan in wrestling who stands at all their meets and repeatedly chants over and over "Lets Go B......D..... !!!!"  Even IN Mat guy "ontherise219" got to enjoy this last year at the State Tournament. 

Kyle Shaffer's sister at South Putnam could give BD fan a run for his money. She is by far the best fan Avon encountered all year. 

It was a sad day for me a few weekends ago when I coached against Ben Davis at the Westfield Duals.  I refused to go last year because I didnt want to coach against any of my former athletes.  Just too many still around.  For Coach Gill to imply that I had nothing to do with the last years 138, 170, 220 and HWT from last year is another sad story but a story that's been unfolding for 3 years now.  We all had an involvement in bringing Nick, Dylan, Kasha and Norman up as great wrestlers.  Hence the reason Coach O'Neil walked with Dylan at the state finals face-off last year even though he left the same year I did.  The even sadder story is that the athletes are the most important part of this equation.  Not what accolades we rack up as coaches.  I enjoyed watching in "secrecy" the boys success and wish them the best as they are off as grown men finding there way at school. 

When I was hired as the head wrestling coach at BD, I said I would work hard and leave the team in a better place than I received it.  I feel that I stuck behind that statement.

It is always best practice to make sure you use statistics accurately.  The way it was presented, we actually placed more than that at state but again its not about the numbers, its about the athletes.

And Don't forget BD has the unquestionable not even close # 1 fan in wrestling who stands at all their meets and repeatedly chants over and over "Lets Go B......D..... !!!!" Even IN Mat guy "ontherise219" got to enjoy this last year at the State Tournament.

Haha he was great I didnt get to enjoy it as much as my brother and Dane did.

Another aspect that to the high number of forfeits at Marion County is that a number of coaches would rather put their freshman or lower quality varsity wrestlers in a JV tournament the same weekend to get them more matches.  The Marion County Tournament is set up by the Marion County ADs to mirror the IHSAA sectional as much as possible.  This means the 16 team format calls for wrestlers who lose first round to be eliminated from the tournament. Also, if a freshman wrestles in the Varsity County, they can not participate in the Freshman County later in the year.

This turns out to be a catch-22 situation unfortunately.  The coaches want the first round losers to advance into the losers bracket and for the first round to be scored.  Since the evidence has shown that they will not fill the weight classes, the ADs won't go for scoring the first round.  Ironically if some of the wrestlers had come, they would have advanced by forfeit.  106 and 113 only had 6 wrestlers each entered.  

I can say that if another round of wrestlebacks did get added to compensate for the first round losers, it would add at least an 1.5 hours to the tournament which can be long already.  I remember when I wrestled in it, we wrestled on Friday night and then came back Saturday morning.  That might be able to accommodate the extra time. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.