IHSWCA Top 20 Poll (12-17-2015)

WARREN CENTRAL MAINTAIN LEAD IN STATE WRESTLING POLL

Thursday, Dec. 17, 2015

Warren Central and Evansville Mater Dei maintain the 1-2 positions in this week’s state poll conducted by the Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association (IHSWCA).

Warren Central received five first place votes, while Mater Dei collected two.

Teams will soon begin gearing up for the annual IHSWCA state dual meet tournament, scheduled Saturday, Jan. 2, at Fort Wayne’s Memorial Coliseum.

The poll:

IHSWCA TOP 20 STATE WRESTLING POLL

Dec. 17, 2015

(First place votes in parenthesis)

1, Warren Central (5)                       137

2, Evansville Mater Dei (2)              131

3, Brownsburg                                   123

4, Perry Meridian                              120

5, Penn                                                103

6, Portage                                           101

7, Bellmont                                          93

8, (tie) Avon                                        80

8, (tie) Crown Point                           80

10, Carmel                                           61                          

11, Yorktown                                      54

12, (tie) Carroll (Fort Wayne)          53

12, (tie) New Palestine                     53

14, Lawrence North                          52

15, Indianapolis Cathedral              51

16, Jennings County                         49

17, Hamilton Southeastern            36

18, Valparaiso                                    19

19, Prairie Heights                            18

20, (tie) Merrillville                          14

20, (tie) Delta                                     14

Also receiving votes: Franklin Community 10, Columbus East 6, Zionsville 5, New Castle 2, Westfield 2, Lowell 1, North Montgomery 1, South Dearborn 1.

I don't really understand why people get bent out of shape on rankings because a team or an individual is not where you think they should be. Last time I checked, the rankings don't win your team or individual matches. Yes, I know its good to be recognized and all that, but I'd rather my team or individual not be ranked or not be ranked as high, and use that as some motivation to prove people wrong.

It's not more than a two match swing, Joe. Bottom line is, both teams are solid teams. Both deserving of a top 20 rankings.

There were 7 matches decided by 3 points or less. HSE would have to reverse the 3 that Zionsville won to win...and not lose any of the four they won. I doubt they reverse the 3 pins or two majors. 13 points in a dual with two solid teams is a lot of points to make up.

I don't really understand why people get bent out of shape on rankings because a team or an individual is not where you think they should be. Last time I checked, the rankings don't win your team or individual matches. Yes, I know its good to be recognized and all that, but I'd rather my team or individual not be ranked or not be ranked as high, and use that as some motivation to prove people wrong.

People like them when they are remotely accurate, these however have a few holes.  The voters don't even know if it's a dual or tournament strength rankings.

You weren't there, Joe, and don't have the whole picture. You're making many assumptions. You are stating things as facts, when they are not facts. I'm not going to make excuses for why a team lost. But, I will defend a very solid team when somebody gets on here and says that the recognition in the rankings of said team is a joke. It's not a joke and the young men on the team are deserving of the recognition.

Joe, I appreciate what you do for the sport but sometimes we don't see eye to eye.

I don't recall anyone stating on here that "said team" is a joke. I don't recall anyone saying anything about any team being a joke. These coaches & kids work hard & none of them are a joke. 

The "joke!" statement had nothing to do with HSE & Zionsville's match. I can see how it would be interpreted that way, but that is not the "joke".

Ill go with Y2's polls for better accuracy.    His polls are more or less based on head to head wins and losses, and are transparent because he lists the wins and losses against ranked teams.     The coaches poll looks like it has a little more bias toward certain regions.   I think some of the coaches over vote their region as they don't have visibility to other parts of the state.   I think that's why the holes exist in the coaches polls. 

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Think GAT meant the team rankings are a joke since Portage might be a "tad" underrated!!! Don't like speaking for others, but he might not be compelled to explain and only 6 posts into your IndyMat career, you (LN89IU94) might not get the humor and obviously didn't. It's ok..welcome to the board! Word to the wise...Y2 shall not be challenged!! He'll correct me if I'm wrong...

Couldn't have said it nicer myself. Thank you Wrestling Scholar.

Think GAT meant the team rankings are a joke since Portage might be a "tad" underrated!!! Don't like speaking for others, but he might not be compelled to explain and only 6 posts into your IndyMat career, you (LN89IU94) might not get the humor and obviously didn't. It's ok..welcome to the board! Word to the wise...Y2 shall not be challenged!! He'll correct me if I'm wrong...

Uncle Jimmy, rankings smankings, it will all work itself out in the end. But, if I were to follow rankings, the ones above would not be it.

You weren't there, Joe, and don't have the whole picture. You're making many assumptions. You are stating things as facts, when they are not facts. I'm not going to make excuses for why a team lost. But, I will defend a very solid team when somebody gets on here and says that the recognition in the rankings of said team is a joke. It's not a joke and the young men on the team are deserving of the recognition.

Joe, I appreciate what you do for the sport but sometimes we don't see eye to eye.

So basically you are talking about the Penola vs. Jessop match where Penola won via pin while down 8-2. Again you need more than that one to change the outcome. In a match between top 25 teams 13 points is a lot to make up. With 7 matches that were close and the majority going to HSE, the next match-up may be closer, but it could go the other way too. 

It will all work out in the end. Last year BB was ranked ahead of Avon even after Avon beat them in the dual. Then BB won County and HCC over Avon. Then Avon won Sectional, Regional and Semi State. Kind of hard to put one over the other. This year has started out with BB winning the dual and ranked ahead of Avon. Lots of wrestling to go. 

Joe, I love how you're trying to school me on how it all works. You are good, but you still weren't there, and don't have all the facts. Nevertheless, I'm ok with your opinion. Should of, Could of, Would of ... HSE lost that dual, Zionsville is tuff and well coached. On to the rest of the season - I'm looking forward to it - should be exciting! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.