We have the headgear thing backwards

H1N1

Don't we kind of have the headgear rules backwards?  95% of all wrestling is done at practice.  Probably only like 5% of wrestling happens during a match.  If the national federation wants to protect wrestlers ear, shouldn't they change the rule.  Make wearing the headgear at practice required and headgear optional for a match.

I agree.  Maybe it would stop the dazed wrestlers looking at that strange thing they put on their head for the first time when they step out into the lights.  Perhaps they would also figure out how to keep it on for the entire match.  It would also help if all involved wouldn't consider a cauliflower ear a badge of honor.  Hopefully wrestling won't be the most distinguishing activity in their life. 

It would also help if all involved wouldn't consider a cauliflower ear a badge of honor.  

That might be a hard culture to change.  I know many people who still consider it that way. I know wrestlers who tried to give themselves cauliflower ear.  

Probably not the thing you want someone looking at some day in an interview though.  

My kid wasn't wearing one in practice last year.   Then he comes home after practice in the middle of the season with a bloated ear.  Was pretty bad.   I take it him to the Dr to get drained.   Dr drains it,  then puts big sutures in the ear.  Dr requires him to take a week off and he misses a key tournament that weekend.   Anyway his ear got back close to normal, I get a  $250 Dr bill, and he missed a big match which hurt the team.  

He's wearing it in practice now.  At least that's what he's telling me. 

We didn't use to have to wear them in freestyle or Greco back in the day. I never wore it in high school practice either. It was actually "in the way" during a match.

In the 1920s football players either word thin leather helmets or no helmets. Not somethings I think we should go back to.

That might be a hard culture to change.  I know many people who still consider it that way. I know wrestlers who tried to give themselves cauliflower ear.  

Probably not the thing you want someone looking at some day in an interview though.  

Culture can be changed.  Look at Jim Crow laws and Sarah Hildebrandt.  It starts with leadership.

Getting the culture to change will be nearly impossible. I know having "the ears" is something that every wrestler may not like but definitely respects. Getting that to change will be tough and personally I love that ears. It is what sets us apart from everyone else. Some what of a badge. Parents think deifferently but we wrestlers love it.

Getting the culture to change will be nearly impossible. I know having "the ears" is something that every wrestler may not like but definitely respects. Getting that to change will be tough and personally I love that ears. It is what sets us apart from everyone else. Some what of a badge. Parents think deifferently but we wrestlers love it.

No, wrestlers don't love it. Ignorant wrestlers or uneducated parents think it's a badge. It's like saying a concussion is a badge in football. Just wrong.

Don't we kind of have the headgear rules backwards?  95% of all wrestling is done at practice.  Probably only like 5% of wrestling happens during a match.  If the national federation wants to protect wrestlers ear, shouldn't they change the rule.  Make wearing the headgear at practice required and headgear optional for a match.

Do you really need a National Federation telling you what should be common sense?  I would guess 100% of wrestlers understand the consequences of not wearing headgear, it is their choice if they want to risk having permanent damage to their ears for a very small inconvenience while on the mat. 

No, wrestlers don't love it. Ignorant wrestlers or uneducated parents think it's a badge. It's like saying a concussion is a badge in football. Just wrong.

We are not ignorant wrestlers. We are the best of the best who go to war for 4-5 months out of the year and for some of us all year. There is no ignorance involved. We are under appreciated athletes who don't get enough credit for the time we put in and the numerous sacrifices we take. Have the ear is like our little stand out piece. In the grand scheme of things a little cauliflower ear won't ruin the rest of our lives. Honestly.

I'd much rather have a messed up ear than a few concussions. No one has ever forgotten where they lived because of messed up ears.

Plus, the concussion argument is absurd because brain damage and a minor disformation of an ear are two totally different things. Please tell me the last time someone died from cauliflower ear. Don't think to long the answer is never. Concussions and cauliflower ear aren't even in the same league. Also, a concussion is not a visual badge. Your argument frankly sucks.

I'd much rather have a messed up ear than a few concussions. No one has ever forgotten where they lived because of messed up ears.

Standing up for wrestlers everywhere. My man Y2!

I have a small amount of cauliflower ear.  I love it.  It reminds me of the hard work, dedication, sacrifice and everything else we do for wrestling and I wore my head gear in practice (well most of the time).  That being said, no one can visibly tell that I have it and I could care less if I gett recognition for having it.  Its not for other people.. its my own reminder.  I would not love it if my ear was disfigured.  I don't consider nasty ears as a badge of honor and most wrestlers will grow up to be professionals and I can tell you that the corporate world does not understand the concept of wrestling let alone some job candidate's disfigured ear.

Cauliflower ears aside... why in the world don't most coaches at least make wrestlers wear head gear in practice for live wrestling?  You have to wear it in a match so why would you not want to wear it in practice.  Its getting to the point where I am shocked if I see a live match in which neither wrestler's head gear DOESNT come off.  I'm guessing this is because kids don't wear it in practice, aren't use to wearing it and don't have it fitted properly after a few minutes of sweating during the match.  I remember our coach would not let us wear multiple sweatshirts and sweatpants during practice because you don't wear those things during matches.  If we needed to cut weight then that was before or after practice conditioning.  To me its like asking a basketball team to practice on 9 ft goals but play on 10 ft goals.  Practice the way  you are going to play.   

Congressman Jordan, do you really think anyone gives a crap about what his ears look like? No. Have you ever looked at some of the members of the Navy Seals Team 6 ? Guess what, they all have jacked up ears. It is 100% a badge of honor. Don't ever disrespect these members for their desire of working hard and protecting your family's sweet ass. Most of these guys some of the most brightest individuals you would ever know. Tell the Brands brothers, Cal Sanderson they are idiots. No one is bragging, but don't ever call these guys uneducated.

We didn't use to have to wear them in freestyle or Greco back in the day. I never wore it in high school practice either. It was actually "in the way" during a match.

Internationally if you're wearing headgear your opponent can request you take it off and you have to remove it.

Edited by GrecoISU

Brands and Sanderson have a job that doesn't discriminate against appearance but very few of the wrestlers we are talking about will have their jobs.  I don't think that limiting someone's possibilities is what we are all about.  It would be nice if the world looked past physical deformity but we are not there yet.  We want people to focus on our talents and abilities in an interview, not that funny thing on our ear.  I second the comment about the ear buds.  I have found the soft ones work pretty well.  We now have stethescopes that have soft ear buds but before that my ears were quite sore after using one all day.

I agree.  Maybe it would stop the dazed wrestlers looking at that strange thing they put on their head for the first time when they step out into the lights.  Perhaps they would also figure out how to keep it on for the entire match.  It would also help if all involved wouldn't consider a cauliflower ear a badge of honor.  Hopefully wrestling won't be the most distinguishing activity in their life. 

It may not be the most or only distinguishing, but the 1st one that teaches and gives them tools to do the rest of them.  No problems with that Badge of Honor, go see a doctor if you don't like it after season and have it scrapped out!

Congressman Jordan, do you really think anyone gives a crap about what his ears look like? No. Have you ever looked at some of the members of the Navy Seals Team 6 ? Guess what, they all have jacked up ears. It is 100% a badge of honor. Don't ever disrespect these members for their desire of working hard and protecting your family's sweet ass. Most of these guys some of the most brightest individuals you would ever know. Tell the Brands brothers, Cal Sanderson they are idiots. No one is bragging, but don't ever call these guys uneducated.

No one called anyone idiots and the only comment about being uneducated referred to a parent thinking cauliflower ear was a good thing. And I am sorry but if you as a parent wants your high school wrestler to practice without a head gear so he deforms his ears then that is not only uneducated it is borderline child abuse.

As far as your comment on Navy Seals and high profile college coaches you are talking about well below 1% of the population. And I'd be willing to bet that the uniform they wear, the service medals or national championships are much more a "badge of honor" for those fine men then their deformed ears.

No one is bashing these individuals for having cauliflower ear they are discussing why it's important to wear head gear and the potential long term effects.

No one called anyone idiots and the only comment about being uneducated referred to a parent thinking cauliflower ear was a good thing. And I am sorry but if you as a parent wants your high school wrestler to practice without a head gear so he deforms his ears then that is not only uneducated it is borderline child abuse.

As far as your comment on Navy Seals and high profile college coaches you are talking about well below 1% of the population. And I'd be willing to bet that the uniform they wear, the service medals or national championships are much more a "badge of honor" for those fine men then their deformed ears.

No one is bashing these individuals for having cauliflower ear they are discussing why it's important to wear head gear and the potential long term effects.

There is a difference between wanting to have your kid's ears deformed or if it happens it happens.......Saying that the parents of a wrestler (whatever the reason is) practicing without headgear is borderline child abuse, is about the dumbest thing I have heard in a while! 

Potential long term effects?  What is that ears being ugly.  Great they caught up to my face!  Funny enough I got my cauliflower ear playing basketball with my fellow wrestlers in the Army!  Should have been wearing the headgear.......Call the NBA!

Edited by warsawwrestling

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.