Team Rankings: IndianaMat Dual Ranking

decbell1

Because they are Mater Dei. Their top guys always get bonus points and their less experienced guys rarely give up bonus points.

However, they are losing a guaranteed 5-6 team points every meet they dont have Nick Lee in the lineup.

It appears that MD's top guys are #106-Clay Egli(Ranked 13th) , #120- Kyle Luigs(Ranked 5th) #145 -Joe Lee(Ranked 1st) and #152- Blake Jordan (Ranked 5th) . Yes , Joe Lee will score bonus points on anyone . I don't see Clay Egli scoring bonus points on #1 Sam Fair of Perry Meridian ,  #2 Ty Mills of Brownsburg or #3 Cory Cavanaugh of Penn . I don't see Kyle Luigs scoring bonus points on #1 Drew Hildebrandt of Penn or #10 Miguel Prado of Portage . I also don't see Blake Jordan scoring bonus points on #1 Bam Lawrence  of Portage , #6 Brett Johnson of Perry Meridian or #9 Denzel Prentice of Penn . I just feel judging by the individual rankings ,  Perry Meridian , Portage , Penn and Brownsburg are better teams than MD . Now if Will Egli and Nick Lee were wrestling , then I might have a different outlook . 

Edited by M109R

This is slightly off topic but man it still is weird to me  to see Brownsburg being put in the same vain as powerhouse programs like PM, EMD, Penn, Portage, Etc, a few years ago it would have been an 84-0 Massacre.....God bless this sport

In your opinion, what was the biggest factor in the quick rise of your program to elite status?

I can tell you when we took over there was no offseason, a 2 week break of no practice during Christmas, and the technique was less than stellar...all things any program could fix but you have to have the athletes to make it happen...we have been able to get out kids that are able to commit to the sport all year as opposed to just during season. A school like Jimtown has 586 students total MATHEMATICALLY it is unreasonable to expect them to have the same results compared to Brownsburg with 2377 students. Selfishly i would love to have a one class system for all sports but realistically classing would be the best thing for it to evolve and grow.

I can tell you when we took over there was no offseason, a 2 week break of no practice during Christmas, and the technique was less than stellar...all things any program could fix but you have to have the athletes to make it happen...we have been able to get out kids that are able to commit to the sport all year as opposed to just during season. A school like Jimtown has 586 students total MATHEMATICALLY it is unreasonable to expect them to have the same results compared to Brownsburg with 2377 students. Selfishly i would love to have a one class system for all sports but realistically classing would be the best thing for it to evolve and grow.

So just a long winded way of saying "hard work"! :D

All joking aside, Snyder, yourself, and coaching staff are doing great things over there.  Good luck the rest of the way.   

When I took over at Brownsburg, we had not placed higher than 7th in the Conference out of 10 teams in several years.  I have only coached at Mishawaka (1500) students and now Brownsburg so I couldn't really speak for what is best for a small school.  Certainly easier with more numbers.

Here were my first steps:

1.) Communication and Enthusiasm.  Why would anyone be excited if the Head Coach is not?  Answer questions and get people involved.  Have a personality and sense of humor.  More people will work hard for you and get involved on and off the mat if they like you. 

2.) Implement our system, our technique, our way of drilling, and our practices at all levels of the program.

3.) More coaches at all levels.

4.) Off-Season - I was told no one would come and Brownsburg was different.  I was committed to being at everything in the off-season whether I had 1 kid or 100.  First year we had a little over 10...now over 30...

5.) Grow your fan base.  Make wrestling cool.  We had 12 people in the stands at our first home meet...several hundred now - DJ, dim the lights, throw out shirts, promo video...hang posters, talk at lunch - do something or no one will. 

#PainTrain (This is commonly used at our school now on announcements and between students...football team breaks on it often)...Take chances when you can and grow the sport.

Snyder

When I took over at Brownsburg, we had not placed higher than 7th in the Conference out of 10 teams in several years.  I have only coached at Mishawaka (1500) students and now Brownsburg so I couldn't really speak for what is best for a small school.  Certainly easier with more numbers.

Here were my first steps:

1.) Communication and Enthusiasm.  Why would anyone be excited if the Head Coach is not?  Answer questions and get people involved.  Have a personality and sense of humor.  More people will work hard for you and get involved on and off the mat if they like you. 

2.) Implement our system, our technique, our way of drilling, and our practices at all levels of the program.

3.) More coaches at all levels.

4.) Off-Season - I was told no one would come and Brownsburg was different.  I was committed to being at everything in the off-season whether I had 1 kid or 100.  First year we had a little over 10...now over 30...

5.) Grow your fan base.  Make wrestling cool.  We had 12 people in the stands at our first home meet...several hundred now - DJ, dim the lights, throw out shirts, promo video...hang posters, talk at lunch - do something or no one will. 

#PainTrain (This is commonly used at our school now on announcements and between students...football team breaks on it often)...Take chances when you can and grow the sport.

Snyder

And it has paid off. Seen it with my own eyes. Good, Solid program. The Avon Brownsburg dual at BB last year was packed. Wish they all were packed houses. 

Coach Snyder-

Thanks for sharing yourcoaching philosophy -- really good stuff that shows why you have had success early and often. It is my opinion that these tenets could be applied at anys school in the state (regardless of enrollment) and success would follow.

And that opinion stems from what experience?  

Why is it that small schools don't have the success at the same rate then?

Fabio and/or Snyder-

Do you think you could build a competitive program with your system at a small school?

I believe they could . It's been done at MD for a long time . I believe it's the Coach/Coaching Staff , not the size of the school . Look at Mishawaka with Snyder , and now without . Coaches like Tonte , Snyder , Vega , Harper have a proven track record , I believe they could do it anywhere . 

I

It appears that MD's top guys are #106-Clay Egli(Ranked 13th) , #120- Kyle Luigs(Ranked 5th) #145 -Joe Lee(Ranked 1st) and #152- Blake Jordan (Ranked 5th) . Yes , Joe Lee will score bonus points on anyone . I don't see Clay Egli scoring bonus points on #1 Sam Fair of Perry Meridian ,  #2 Ty Mills of Brownsburg or #3 Cory Cavanaugh of Penn . I don't see Kyle Luigs scoring bonus points on #1 Drew Hildebrandt of Penn or #10 Miguel Prado of Portage . I also don't see Blake Jordan scoring bonus points on #1 Bam Lawrence  of Portage , #6 Brett Johnson of Perry Meridian or #9 Denzel Prentice of Penn . I just feel judging by the individual rankings ,  Perry Meridian , Portage , Penn and Brownsburg are better teams than MD . Now if Will Egli and Nick Lee were wrestling , then I might have a different outlook .

I predict that md gets blown out by a browns burg/perry/penn/portage all star team.

I believe they could . It's been done at MD for a long time . I believe it's the Coach/Coaching Staff , not the size of the school . Look at Mishawaka with Snyder , and now without . Coaches like Tonte , Snyder , Vega , Harper have a proven track record , I believe they could do it anywhere . 

It would depend on your definition of "competitive."

How come Tonte never won a state title at Speedway when he was there? How come Vega didn't have teams at Andrean like he does at Portage? How come Harper didn't win any state titles at Benton Central?

I always love the comparison to Mater Dei as if since a small private school in a big city can do it, why can't Daleville, South Spencer, North Posey, or Wheeler do it? There can't honestly be 120 "bad' coaches at small schools.  

It would depend on your definition of "competitive."

How come Tonte never won a state title at Speedway when he was there? How come Vega didn't have teams at Andrean like he does at Portage? How come Harper didn't win any state titles at Benton Central?

I always love the comparison to Mater Dei as if since a small private school in a big city can do it, why can't Daleville, South Spencer, North Posey, or Wheeler do it? There can't honestly be 120 "bad' coaches at small schools.  

How long was Harper at Benton Central , because it took him 8 years to win a title at Penn . How long was Vega at Andrean ? How many years was Tonte at Speedway compared to Perry ? I believe Fabio already said it would take more time at a small School , but I bet they would be competitive with any school . 

Edited by M109R

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.