Team Rankings: IndianaMat Dual Ranking

decbell1

Good job on the rankings as always. One team that should be considered is South Bend Riley. They're really tough. Probably underrated across the state. But Riley has its best team in years. Wouldn't be surprised to see them ranked by the end of the year. Both Goerring brothers are lights out. Teague is tearing it up. Laughlin as usual is dominating and pinning just about everyone. Riley would likely beat several of the teams ranked 15-20.

Good job on the rankings as always. One team that should be considered is South Bend Riley. They're really tough. Probably underrated across the state. But Riley has its best team in years. Wouldn't be surprised to see them ranked by the end of the year. Both Goerring brothers are lights out. Teague is tearing it up. Laughlin as usual is dominating and pinning just about everyone. Riley would likely beat several of the teams ranked 15-20.

SB Riley already has like 8 losses, some to unranked teams.

How about this hypothetical prediction: Mater Dei Vs BBurg:

With current lineups I see 2 clear cut wins for MD and 7 for the Bulldogs and 5 too close to calls including Joe Lee vs Brayton Lee.

Bam!

Joe by at least a major. Probably TF or Pin.

Joe by at least a major. Probably TF or Pin.

That's exaggerating (Brayton showed in the offseason he can give anyone in the country a match).  But I wouldn't put it in the tossup category.   It would be a significant upset if Joe lost.

Edited by maligned

Yep! You think Derek knows what he's doing. ;)

As the conductor of the #paintrain he is pushing it full speed ahead and the future looks very bright.  Hey co pilots Nicky Dubz and TheGreatSeymour keep bringing the coal to stoke the fire of these guys !!!!

WHEN WILL MATER DEI STOP TAUNTING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that match happens Ill be excited I had so many seasons end in tears thanks to Mater Dei its just such a personal rivalry. Respect the program tremendously, Coach Schaefer has kept the prestige going and even modernized the program a bit. Not to mention you got the Lee Brothers who are 2 of the best kids I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Here's to a "Meat grinder" of a state dual tourny....

How about this hypothetical prediction: Mater Dei Vs BBurg:

With current lineups I see 2 clear cut wins for MD and 7 for the Bulldogs and 5 too close to calls including Joe Lee vs Brayton Lee.

Bam!

mater dei wins 2 decisions; bburg wins 7 of the "clear cuts."  md wins three of the five toss ups.

final score:

md- 15

bburg- 27

SB Riley already has like 8 losses, some to unranked teams.

Most of those losses were without a full varsity lineup...def could've made a difference in the win loss column. That being said Riley is stronger in the individual style then duals.

Because they are Mater Dei. Their top guys always get bonus points and their less experienced guys rarely give up bonus points.

However, they are losing a guaranteed 5-6 team points every meet they dont have Nick Lee in the lineup.

His backup won last night, so not entirely true. 

I'm wondering how MD is holding down the #2 spot with only 4 ranked wrestlers . 

IMO, they usually have a few guys on the team that SHOULD be ranked but aren't. (every year they have one or two IMO) Have you seen Wildeman wrestle at 220? He is a pretty darn good wrestler and don't be surprised if he goes far this year. 

I'm wondering how MD is holding down the #2 spot with only 4 ranked wrestlers . 

We'll have more clarity after the team state tournament and we have a few more duals under the belts.   Too early to complain about rankings.  And I'm sure MD will show up for that event and we can see how they compare.  Its a good thing we have the Team event as will give legitimate validation to the rankings.     Looks like the top 6 are undefeated in duals and obviously haven't wrestled each other.  I could see any of those 6 teams win the dual team state.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Ok Markio- Mater Dei is losing 2-6 team points in every dual at team state that Nick Lee is not in the lineup.

Do you think that is entirely true? No disrespect to Lees back up -- I dont see him pinning/teching the field though.

He pinned or teched everyone last year except 2 matches and they both stalled the butts off so they only got majored.  He only gave up an offensive point 1 time all year.  He would tech or pin the entire field, so I would stay that statement would be entirely true! 

Technically, its not 2-6 points, it's 2-12 points. The kid could step in for Lee and get stuck hypothetically.

I think Brownsburg and Warren meet in the finals and we get to see the tow best coaches at their relatively new schools showing why wrestling is absolutely a coaches sport.

But I'm a little bias, being as I wrestled for Tonte at Perry and helped coach Brownsburg last year.... :)

Ok Markio- Mater Dei is losing 2-6 team points in every dual at team state that Nick Lee is not in the lineup.

Do you think that is entirely true? No disrespect to Lees back up -- I dont see him pinning/teching the field though.

He pinned or teched everyone last year except 2 matches and they both stalled the butts off so they only got majored.  He only gave up an offensive point 1 time all year.  He would tech or pin the entire field, so I would stay that statement would be entirely true! 

I agree with that as well. I'm just saying it makes it sounds like his backup is going to lose every match when in reality we don't know how it's going to pan out.

Lee's back up is very solid.  Obviously, nobody expects him to go undefeated and win state like Nick would have.  He is very likely a semi-state caliber wrestler, maybe even state caliber.  Wrestling with Joe Lee every day will make him better and he won't see anybody on that level during the season.

Okay now I'm getting real:

Castle won 5 matches against MD.  5.  And scored 15 points.  MD's 9 wins accounted for 46 points.  If you win eight matches against MD and don't have any pins you will lose by a decent margin.

Wilderman wrestled 195 against Castle.  He will lose only against the elite wrestler.

Castle's wins:

138 Against Montgomery.   He is VERY tough to beat. 

132 Against Embry.  He is a beast as well.

126 Against Happe.  He is as seasoned as they come as a 1st year varsity wrestler.

170 Against Chandler.  He is young and probably the weakest link of the MD lineup (which means he is still Varsity for 90% of the teams out there).

182 Against Orth.  He is a great athlete who is getting his wrestling legs under him still after football season.

And this is without Nick Lee and Will Egli in the line-up

Edited by backtothemat

His backup won last night, so not entirely true. 

IMO, they usually have a few guys on the team that SHOULD be ranked but aren't. (every year they have one or two IMO) Have you seen Wildeman wrestle at 220? He is a pretty darn good wrestler and don't be surprised if he goes far this year. 

All the top teams have guys that could be ranked . Penn has 4-5 guys just outside the rankings , one of them pinned a 10th ranked wrestler last night . I haven't seen your #220 Wildeman , I bet he is good , ours is pretty good as well . Not dissing MD at all , but none of the top teams have wrestled each other in a dual . So paper is the only thing we can go off of . Perry , Portage , Brownsburg and Penn all have more ranked guys than MD . I was just wondering what the #2 ranking is based off of . 

Edited by M109R

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.