If You Were in Controlling of the IHSAA

What would you change in aspects of high school wrestling in the state? I'd make a few changes. I'd bring back the old team state tournament. I'd change the format though and make it dual meet for sectionals instead individual results determining sectional champions who then had duals throughout. I'd also incorporate the coaches Class tournament. I'd also expand it in to sectional, regional, and maybe semi state or just put it to state from regional. I'd also put wrestle backs in all portions of the individual tournament including state. Still have only top 8 place. I know the schedule probably wouldn't allow for this.

Sorry the thread should be "in control of" not controlling.

Team state in same format as the individual state tournament (sectional-regional-semistate) but taking place before individual state finals. Wrestle backs starting with the ticket round for the individual state tournament. Take it out to 8 places per Semistate taking 32 to the individual state finals. Still only place 8.

Anyone know how the schedule would look making the Class team state duals into multiple rounds? Single elimination style compared to maybe having a super dual where you put teams into 2 groups of 4 with round robin? Should be able to do each round (sectional, regional, and etc) on a single day.

Anyone know how the schedule would look making the Class team state duals into multiple rounds? Single elimination style compared to maybe having a super dual where you put teams into 2 groups of 4 with round robin? Should be able to do each round (sectional, regional, and etc) on a single day.

The best case scenario would be a four class dual state series as we could get it done in a week.  With 4 classes you would have about 78 teams per class.

Sectional: 32 sectionals with 4-6 teams on Tuesday(down to 32 teams in each class)

Regional: 4 teams in each regional on Thursday(down to 8 teams)

State: 8 teams on Saturday at a central location

This would be the easiest for travel and logistics to get done in a single week. With two or three classes you would most likely have to go Saturday to Saturday, which is basically two weeks. Three classes MAY work if you are like Ohio where teams can elect to enter the tournament or are not allowed if they don't have X amount of wrestlers.

The best case scenario would be a four class dual state series as we could get it done in a week. With 4 classes you would have about 78 teams per class.

Sectional: 32 sectionals with 4-6 teams on Tuesday(down to 32 teams in each class)

Regional: 4 teams in each regional on Thursday(down to 8 teams)

State: 8 teams on Saturday at a central location

This would be the easiest for travel and logistics to get done in a single week. With two or three classes you would most likely have to go Saturday to Saturday, which is basically two weeks. Three classes MAY work if you are like Ohio where teams can elect to enter the tournament or are not allowed if they don't have X amount of wrestlers.

Wow. Never thought of this. Pretty dang good idea!

I've had friends say if we ever get team state back with classes that ihsaa will make the individual series be three weekends instead of 4. Like eliminate semistate. Do most other states do their state tourney in three weeks?

In my dream world I'd make it a two class individual tournament which we could do in three weeks.  Then we'd have an extra week at the beginning for team state series in four classes.

In a two class system you would have:

1. 16 sectionals with 8-12 teams top four advance(we have 32 sectionals now, so no difference)

2. 4 regionals with 16 wrestlers each, where the top 4 advance to state

3. 16 in each bracket at state

Obviously things like full wrestle-backs would be awesome too.

And yes most state series are three weeks long. The lack of wrestle-backs and length of our state series makes it very interesting as we have all heard of someone getting hurt or sick one week and it affecting them significantly.

I think the last time I checked the Coaches tournament, they recognize 303 or so schools. Can anyone verify that? Following Adams Central as well as Bellmont and South Adams, I like having tournaments like the coaches but also liked the old team tournament. Ideally I'd like to see team duals both classed and one class. Same with individual tournaments. Keep the current and add a class individual tournament. Both with every step having wrestle backs all the way. You can get more schools and wrestlers involved but keep those classic Bellmont vs Yorktown matches with the old.

I would also want to start a freestyle/greco spring sport option

Definitely agree on that. I always bring up that we should create a 4th style called Combined Style that lasts 3 periods regardless of pin or tech fall in the first or second period. A period each of folkstyle, freestyle, and Greco-Roman.

Definitely agree on that. I always bring up that we should create a 4th style called Combined Style that lasts 3 periods regardless of pin or tech fall in the first or second period. A period each of folkstyle, freestyle, and Greco-Roman.

Because that wouldn't be confusing for most casual wrestling fans... :)

That would be great.  Lets also add a 4th period of MMA while were at it.  That would be interesting.

Why not, I am in control. We could have the gladiators play chess between each style as well. Not So sure that the "timeout" generation would be okay with mma, have Tully seen the dodgeballs that our kids use these days? You needed to keep your head on a swivel back in the eighties, now it's a painted cotton ball. Ihsaa dodgeball has a better chance than freestyle and greco.

we tried the 3 styles, 3 periods at Madison a few years back, called it the Gauntlet, didn't work very well in terms of interest. Had very few kids the first year and ended up cancelling it the 2nd year.

Do you think it would catch on if Freestyle and Greco-Roman were IHSAA or IHSWCA sponsored instead of AAU? Plus I think you'd have to modify some of the rules on the different styles as well.

Rumor has it, that change might be coming.

United World Wrestling had said they were going to change the type of uniforms for freestyle and greco for the Olympics, but have since postponed until after this Olympic cycle.  I would imagine other wrestling institutions will go a similar route, too, in continuing efforts to modernize the sport and to make it more appealing to casual fans and to kids considering getting into the sport.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.