Allowance after weigh ins

Mattyb

We ran into this at MS event several years ago. One school had a Friday night event, but their AD didn't notify the host school. Some of their wrestlers were over weigh, but they couldn't get the weight allowance because the other schools couldn't be notified in advance and given the same weight opportunitie.

It happened at Cascade this weekend. We hosted an 8 team 5 way dual meet. We only have one scale. Not one of the participating teams brought any of their scales as they have in the past. We had asked one team to bring a scale but they forgot it.

Long story short Cascade's scale was certified and has a sticker and supporting paperwork stating so, but we found out last weekend it was a bit heavy in comparisons to others. Once all the teams arrived it was apparent that many wrestlers on each team were going to miss weight. Of course our guys were on weight because we knew no difference, it was our scale. The referees decided to weigh in all wrestlers and discuss at the coaches meeting. With many coaches upset about the situation and threatening to leave, the referees offered the solution of a 1 lbs weight allowance. Everyone agreed, so we moved on and wrestled the duals.

But you are right, I am curious as to what the duals say about this situation.

most kids were .5 to .9 over.

It was strange...

We always take our scale with us everywhere we go in a multi dual environment. We shouldn't have assumed others would do the same. We should have asked more than one other team to bring their scale, but we didn't realize our scale was soo heavy and would cause such a ruckus so to speak either.

Not sure what the rules allow for in a situation like this, but we left it up the the referees to make the call and that is what they came up with.

3 years ago I went to another school for a dual meet and almost everyone of our kids was a half pound over at weigh ins. I was very upset to say the least and the ref wouldn't even allow me to put a 5lb weight on it to see what that looked like. So my whole team ran while the coach had this grin on his face as they were running. I knew he knew that the scales were heavy and there wasn't anything I could do about it. But we won by 60 pts. and that was when my grin started.

Edited by Ironbear

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.