Portage

Muckman_1999

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/wrestling/jim-peters-vega-portage-wrestling-has-lofty-aspirations/article_c5b51eff-1994-59ca-b75b-687223e06348.html

Implicit in the article to Vega's "solution" about the scheduling issue is the total disrespect and arrogance he shows toward region teams and DAC rivals .  As far as I can understand, the detroit catholic super duals falls on the same weekend as the CP duals, which is the time of the dual meet versus Crown Point.  So Vega is sending his jv to wrestle CP in a DAC dual meet?  Crown Point that has one of the best programs in the state of Indiana? And this is supported by the Portage HS admin? I would think Portage would be interested in being a respectful member of the conference, but I guess not. Otherwise, why even be a member of the DAC?  Sounds like Vega wants to be an independent and get out from under the shackles of DAC scheduling obligations and the Portage admin is afraid to say no

I would be interested in others opinions about this

Portage and crown point wrestle 3 weeks prior to the Cp Super Duals at traicoff. where at the crown point super duals they will wrestle lowell and renseller as well as crown point. While at the detroit catholic tournament they will wrestle Top ranked national teams. Such as OPRF, and St Edwards from ohio, as well as Lowell(michigan) three teams currently ranked on flowrestling. How does chasing teams who are the best show arrogance? To me it shows portages toughness and drive to want to be successful.

This is in no way directed at Portage, but rather the "Varsity 2" situation in general.

With the "Varsity 2" situation as long as your open and honest in advance with who you are planning on sending to an event then I don't see an issue with it. Key players like event organizer and the other school commit to these events based on certain team participants and event expectations. So I feel they should be provided some type of disclosure if a big change occurs. Sending a "Varsity 2" (usually a big drop in skill level) in the place of the expected "Varsity 1" would seem a big enough change to warrant some type of contact. Not being upfront with this type of information only adds to complains about "Varsity 2" which may eventually cause school administration and the IHSAA to rethink our ability to use it. For teams that have a large roster they want to ensure their top JV kids enough may time to improve and stick it out. Sending "Varsity 2" to certain events is a great avenue for this and I would hate to lose that option due to some coaches using it as a way to game the point system, avoid certain team/individual match ups, or because a sudden opening occured at a more desirable event.

I don't understand why it is such a big issue. Is it disrespectful to get your kids more matches and more competition.

My team competes at a tourney next Saturday that the defending team champion is Mater Dei's JV. Do I think it is disrespectful or am I upset that a "JV" team competes and can beat 9 other varsity lineups, no. That should motivate my guys to want to get better. If a school has the resources to and numbers to have so many kids to field several teams, let them compete. Our sport is unique in the aspect we are allowed to have varsity and varsity 2 teams.

I also think about it like this- say for instance a team has kids sick, injured, suspended, or have academic related functions during a tourney- are we suppose to tell the host school- " hey 5 of my state ranked wrestlers won't be here so I'm having my second stringers wrestle."

Am I disrespectful if I don't inform them? I'm bringing kids to wrestle in your tourney, from the financial standpoint its the same amount of money brought into the school. Fans will still come, kids will still wrestle, coaches will still coach. That's what matters. We want to further our sport, don't people think the way to do that is get all of our kids opportunities. So Portage is sending their best against some of the best in the country, that's great! Don't we want indiana schools to be wrestling the best in the country? To make sure they keep their contract with crown point duals, they are sending a team. May not be starters, but it's Portage.

This is a no brainer.       Portage, please go to the Detroit Catholic tournament.    So why would you stay home and wrestle the  same schools you'll see 2 to 3 more times and pound on a smaller much weaker program.   Vega knows what it takes to get to the next level,   and going to nationally ranked tournaments is the way to do it.     I think the DAC comprehends this concept.  Portage's 2nd team will also do pretty will at the CP meet. Im glad to see some interstate competition for once.  Indiana is so insular in their wrestling.   With Penn wrestling Oak Pak River Forest and Portage going to Detroit,  I think were seeing a paradigm change in the way top programs are thinking.   Next thing is to get a team to the Ironman.   Of course we got to get over the gigantic ISHAA hurdle for that.   

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

You can have as many "varsity" teams as you like. While the point system is in place it is geared more toward the wrestler. A single wrestler can only have so many weigh ins. You can send out 5 varsity teams to five different tournaments on a single Saturday. Yes you def should make it known which of the teams are NOT your main varsity. Bc a tournament might not want JV kids but I highly doubt that happens much. Come sectionals as long as the kid you plan on putting in at a certain weight doesn't have too many weigh ins(points) you're ok.

I see the point, but disagree.  We travel to other area's (east & west) trying to catch teams we will see at Mishawaka, Sectionals, Regionals and/or Semi-State.  The last few years some of these have gone to having their JV teams at these tournaments. Everyone that cries about classing, should be highly upset about this.  It is already hard enough to find quality wrestlers for your better kids, now we are taking them to tournaments and putting the best against the best (teams) and leaving the few individuals per team ***potty mouth*** out of luck (because they are not on a top team).  Whether it is because they "stayed home" and didn't get/go recruited or because these tournaments are in team format and kids don't always get to wrestle the best kids (either avoiding, moving around for the best of the team or different pools).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.