A little display in bad sportsmanship

grappleapple

Not a big deal - but the only thing at New Castle I saw on Saturday that was a little annoying was when a 126-pound Mt. Vernon wrestler put a kid in a banana splits. Both wrestlers were too high for any sort of pin or really even back points, but the Mt. Vernon guy held it there, then stuck his tongue out, started laughing and with his hand threw up the old hang 10 sign (not sure what it means these days).

The crowd got a little riled, and told him to show some class.

He was up about 10 points, and then with only a few seconds left he did the banana splits again.

The next round, the same kid got pinned in about 20 seconds and must have said something to the ref because a team point was taken away.

Hopefully the coaches coral the cockyness a little bit. I'm all for having fun, and passion on the mat - but not at the expense of embarrassing another competitor.

Yeah - his coaches saw it. I don't know what they said to him - but they did have a guy whispering in his ear so I'm sure he was informed not to do that again. Didn't really pay attention to the rest of his day, other than to see from a distance the second match where he was pinned. And his final match, against Roncalli, I think he slammed a guy and hurt him. I know nothing about whether it was illegal, or dirty or just something accidental. Nobody seemed too upset so I am assuming it wasn't dirty.

Witnessed this as well. He needs to learn how to lose with some class, and hopefully that will be a learning experience for him.  He can look for a great example from the Warren Central 152 lber. After a very controversial back & forth match that saw a eye cut and a slam, he took his loss with grace & exited the area without incident. Some great matches at this tourney.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.