Rankings for start of season

Novice Bat

I don't think a bad relationship with a coach is an athletic problem but a social and well being issue.Coaches have a huge influence on athletes , good and bad.  There are many reasons families move their kids from one school to the next and if that student happens to be an athlete , that student should not be punished because of it. The schools exist  for the students . I have seen athletes where the only positive thing in their life was the sport they are a part of . They move and lose eligibility and now they find something more destructive to do or a family just does not like a school for what ever reason, and pull their kid out and put them in another school and kid does not want to leave but is a minor and has no say so. They should not be punished. 

AGREE!

AGREE!

Let the teachers teach...

Let the coaches coach...

Let the parents make the decision on what is best for their FAMILY... not just their student athletes, but their entire FAMILY...

... AND keep the over empowered IHSAA out of our personal decisions!

At the end of the day, the parents are responsible for raising their children, not the school, not the teacher and not the coaches.  Although they each should all be positive role models in these students lives and support the parents in whatever decisions they choose to make.  When a coach or school administrator undermines a decision the parent has made for their family, it really just shows how broken the system can become.  

I think the main issue on this thread is the double standard by which Yorktown is displaying. There is NO question (Yorktown) has benefited by MANY transfers over the last several years (some names listed in a previous post). Back in 2010 / 2011 was the MOST blatant example of questionable transfers ever!  Yorktown had a "hole" in their lineup at 138 that they felt needed to be filled to advance to the state finals. Early in the year I think there was a transfer student from Jay County who just happens to be a very good 138 lb wrestler. The IHSAA declared him ineligible to participate at Yorktown so this student decided it was in his best interest to go back to Jay County and wrestle that year. While Yorktown seemed to have missed out on this good fortune, Santa Clause must have thought Coach McCormick and Coach Delaney must have been good little boys and delivered them (for Christmas, 1/2 way thru the wrestling season) another 138 lb very good wrestler from Franklin (I believe).... One might ask how Yorktown received two move ins, both very good wrestlers at a weight they needed to fill in the same year? I have heard a lot about this particular incident, some fact, some speculation so I won't get into that. (Just a side note, Bellmont's 138 lber beat the Yorktown transfer student and Bellmont advanced to the State Finals, Yorktown went home...KARMA?)  

I for one am AMAZED and utterly shocked that Yorktown would be so bold, brash and are so willing to put themselves in this position. If you open your arms to accept transfers (some legit, some questionable and some blatantly unethical) your open arm policy should make darn sure your arms are open when they want to leave....  How can you have such a double standard?

As I stated earlier the main issue is the double standard by which Yorktown is displaying.

Edited by beachbum21

My two cents, I agree that the kids should be able to go to school wherever their parents so desire. However, it could be possible these moves were due to "athletic resons" with the reason being that Dulaney is no longer a coach at Yorktown, if one would consider that an "athletic reason". Therefore per the IHSAA rules not allowed.

My two cents, I agree that the kids should be able to go to school wherever their parents so desire. However, it could be possible these moves were due to "athletic resons" with the reason being that Dulaney is no longer a coach at Yorktown, if one would consider that an "athletic reason". Therefore per the IHSAA rules not allowed.

What so many people in the wrestling community find so distasteful about the whole situation is that everyone knows that some of Yorktown's move ins were for athletic reasons. So for them then to protest a move out is the height of hypocrisy. They will receive wrestlers and think it is great when the other schools AD would not protest the move. But when it goes against them they protest. This is the point that we find so frustrating. But peoples real motives shine through in the end. We see now that the program was not about the kids after all.

What so many people in the wrestling community find so distasteful about the whole situation is that everyone knows that some of Yorktown's move ins were for athletic reasons. So for them then to protest a move out is the height of hypocrisy. They will receive wrestlers and think it is great when the other schools AD would not protest the move. But when it goes against them they protest. This is the point that we find so frustrating. But peoples real motives shine through in the end. We see now that the program was not about the kids after all.

I was just pointing out its possible that since Dulaney has left the program it could be the reason of the defections, which by IHSAA rules is not allowed. I am in agreement that if you openly accepted transfer in, they most certainly should not prohibit the transfers. I also noticed a previous post that Yorktown stated there are always two sides to the story in which a subsequent post asked Yorktown to share their position, which as yet to happen. I too would like to see the reasoning for blocking the transfers.

I was just pointing out its possible that since Dulaney has left the program it could be the reason of the defections, which by IHSAA rules is not allowed. I am in agreement that if you openly accepted transfer in, they most certainly should not prohibit the transfers. I also noticed a previous post that Yorktown stated there are always two sides to the story in which a subsequent post asked Yorktown to share their position, which as yet to happen. I too would like to see the reasoning for blocking the transfers.

You'll have better lucky weaseling free IndianaMat gear out of me!

Trent McCormick posted something on a thread back four years ago on a subject similar to this

http://indianamat.com/index.php/topic/34642-yorktown-student-parents-seek-injunction-against-ihsaa/page-2

My biggest question is why the change of heart?

With all of the attention we are getting on this website, you would think we were tipping the scales of success and hauling in dozens of state titles here at Yorktown.I believe Yorktown High School has captured two volleyball state titles in recent years and one golf state title in the 1970's.The Yorktown wrestling program can only aspire to be compared to great wrestling traditions such as EMD, Crown Point, Delta and Bellmont to name a few.Actually, I guess I would give this whole topic a little more thought if the people giving their opinions would sign their real name and not hide behind a username.I am disappointed that this site allows people to take anonymous pot shots at people.I may choose to disagree with someone on a point of matter, but that doesn't give me the right to publicly slander them from afar.

Although I am flattered by some of these posts that give me so much power, I do not have the authority, or time, to tell anyone where to shop for groceries, go to church or where to educate their children.Yes, I will promote Yorktown Schools whenever I get the chance, because in my neighbor's yard down the street, there is a yard sign promoting and advertising one of the three local church based schools.I, personally, fill out recommendations for students every year who wish to leave YHS and go to school at the Indiana Academy at Ball State if that is what they choose to do.Education has become a business and it is the right of parents to educate their children where they feel they will have the best all-around educational experience... including extra-curricular activities.There was an earlier post describing a young man who lived in the Yorktown district but chose to go to school, and wrestle, at another school.I am completely fine with that.If that family felt he would be most successful as a student-athlete at another school, then I applaud them for being active in their child's life.Several years ago, we had two Yorktown wrestlers transfer from Yorktown to Alexandria.We had no problem signing off on their paperwork as that is what they felt was best for them.Who am I to dictate to a family what is best for their particular situation?

No one screams "school choice" louder than our own Indiana Department of Education...transfer tuition, charter schools, virtual schools, acadamies and the list goes on for alternative educational opportunities in this day and age.The recent list last week showed an additional 100+ Indiana schools who have been added to the state's "takeover list" if they don't show improvement next year. In addition to our current educational overhaul in Indiana, our society is becoming more and more mobile (transient) as technology improves and the economy forces people/families to make tough, creative career decisions.Please don't blame Yorktown, or anyone for that matter, for the state of our society and the decisions that people are having to make both for family and educational reasons.

Lastly, from my experiences over the years, usually the people who are crying foul just don't want to work very hard at producing a good product.They will spend their time complaining and finding every excuse in the world as to why people don't want their product (or lack thereof) and try to blame others.Instead of taking the time to sling mud at people, why don't you better utilize your time in promoting your school and its extra-curricular activities.I, for one, would rather see a young person participating rather than getting in trouble on the street. If you would like to discuss any of these topics/issues with me in person, I would enjoy the opportunity to talk about both educational and extra-curricular activities for kids.

Trent McCormick
tmccormick@yorktown.k12.in.us
cell phone: 765-282-9136

Trent McCormick posted something on a thread back four years ago on a subject similar to this

http://indianamat.com/index.php/topic/34642-yorktown-student-parents-seek-injunction-against-ihsaa/page-2

My biggest question is why the change of heart?

Joe should have been and attorney and a prosecutor as he would have been nasty in court.  Look at him go dig deep for this info.   I hope he  never digs up  any of the stupid things I might have said on this site.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Like I said you can't trust a guy who is supposed to be the IHSWCA president yet allows forfeits to happen at our state tournament to protect his son. But then he wrestles the next round. What a joke. And you really think this guy had what's best for wrestling in his heart? No he's a snake. It's always been what's best for Troy. If you want to forfeit in the individual state tournament that ppl are spending lots of money to come watch. You better not wrestle anymore of the tournament. Joke of a coach and on that occasion joke of a dad to baby his son like that.

Like I said you can't trust a guy who is supposed to be the IHSWCA president yet allows forfeits to happen at our state tournament to protect his son. But then he wrestles the next round. What a joke. And you really think this guy had what's best for wrestling in his heart? No he's a snake. It's always been what's best for Troy. If you want to forfeit in the individual state tournament that ppl are spending lots of money to come watch. You better not wrestle anymore of the tournament. Joke of a coach and on that occasion joke of a dad to baby his son like that.

To be fair, he nor his son are there for your enjoyment. They did what was best for them and their team. From my understanding his son was banged up with an existing injury, they used common sense, which is not as common as it should be and decided they'd forgo the beating from Micic and try to win the next match that they had a realistic shot of winning. I have no problem with this. You clearly have an ax to grind, which is fine, I'm just not judging the guy based on a strategic decision. As his coach he has to do what's best for his wrestler. 

To be fair, he nor his son are there for your enjoyment. They did what was best for them and their team. From my understanding his son was banged up with an existing injury, they used common sense, which is not as common as it should be and decided they'd forgo the beating from Micic and try to win the next match that they had a realistic shot of winning. I have no problem with this. You clearly have an ax to grind, which is fine, I'm just not judging the guy based on a strategic decision. As his coach he has to do what's best for his wrestler.

Yes they did what they thought was best for them, similar to their earlier semi-state shuffle.

Those types of attitudes toward FF at the individual state finals are part of the reason are sport suffers. It's the same type of attitudes that cost us a real team state duals. Ppl from all over the state come to watch wrestling not FFs. And yes they are there for every fans enjoyment or why would anyone come watch?

Those types of attitudes toward FF at the individual state finals are part of the reason are sport suffers. It's the same type of attitudes that cost us a real team state duals. Ppl from all over the state come to watch wrestling not FFs. And yes they are there for every fans enjoyment or why would anyone come watch?

Unfortunately, they are not there for OUR enjoyment, you choose to spend your money to enter to watch students participate in interscholastic activities. Whether you go or not, the state will still have a state wrestling event, so the fans don't really matter, even if you choose to believe that. 

Edited by sportsfangms

Sorry voice command put are instead of our. Haha. Watch your run on sentences. You're out of your mind if you think they would still have state with zero fans. If you don't have fans there is no sport. I mean was this a serious statement or a joke? The IHSAA are going to book Bankers life with no fans?

Edited by overtime

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.