Article: Big Seven Seniors Announce College Choices

Y2CJ41

The last of the big seven has announced his college plans as Merrillville’s Purple Hulk is going to be a Boilermaker next year. Streck is going to take on double duty as he will play football also in West Lafayette.

With Streck’s announcement it wraps up a lot of projecting and speculating of where our top seniors are headed. The first ones to announce their intentions were Kobe Woods and Blake Rypel who both project at the 197lbs weight class. Both will stay in-state with Woods going to Purdue and Rypel to Indiana.

The next big announcement was Chad Red’s plans. There had been much speculation on his destination as he is one of the top recruits in the country. Red decided to head west to the Big Red and Nebraska.

Within the past two weeks we have had announcements from Drew Hughes, Jacob Covaciu, and Brock Hudkins. Hughes will head north and sport some green while wrestling for Michigan State. Covaicu will also head north, but his destination is Madison and to join the Badgers. Lastly, Brock Hudkins will head to Northern Illinois next year.

While the seven returning champions have received the most press in regards to their college choices, there have been others that have made early commitments. Austin Holmes of Hamilton Southeastern will join the Indiana Hoosiers. Drew Hildebrandt will look to man the 125lbs spot at Central Michigan. Finally, Cael McCormick will join Army West Point next year.

Good luck to all these athletes as they represent the state at the collegiate level.

Click here to view the article

anyone have the stats on if the #'s of college wrestling commits and if its on the rise for IN wrestling ?  sure seems like more and more of our kids are now going to the next level, and doing so to bigger name schools.

It seems more kids are committing, but that means little if they don't actually set foot on campus or even wrestle past their freshman year. The attrition rate for wrestlers in college is extremely high for two reasons, one wrestling in college is hard and two wrestlers have one of the highest rates of first generation student-athletes.

A better gauge would be if these guys are still wrestling as sophomores and seniors in college.

Your second point regarding wrestlers having one of the highest rates for first generation student-athletes, is that information you found, or is that a personal belief you are sharing? I'd like to see that list of data if the NCAA truly compiles it. I'd imagine your country club sports, tennis, golf, and swimming would be low on that list, but I'd like to see how things rank. Thanks! 

I want to congratulate each of these young men on their choice and decision to compete at the next level.  It's challenging enough in this day and age to simply be a college student...  add to that the rigors of being an NCAA athlete.  I have enjoyed watching all of these young men, including my son, develop over the past decade or so.  I remember watching each of them when they were just little guys on the mat, and now they are headed to college as solid men (who will represent IN well).  

For me, a father/coach, it is certainly bittersweet.  I am proud of my son, but Indiana wrestling is going to feel a little different for me next season.  I am looking forward to some road trips though to watch Cael and support his new team.

Best Wishes,

Coach McCormick

Go Army!

Edited by Coach McCormick

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.