Penn vs. OPRF

lpd096

OPRF drops a hammer not close

Don't believe anyone said it would be close . Maybe we could borrow Chad Red , The Lee brothers Blake Rypel and Shawn Streck. It might be competitive then . 

Edited by M109R

Just giving a solid prediction....wasn't trying to agree or disagree with anyone

#IllinoisPainTrainRollingThruIN

Either way...it would be great if Penn could Pack the Palace to show support for wrestling in general and IN wrestling in particular. The #1 team in the nation doesn't come rolling thru IN very often and it would be great to show them IN supports it's wrestling. If you got some young wrestlers just getting into the sport, bring them out and show them what the best looks like..the best in the nation and the best in IN..#2015StateChamps. Nothing better than exposing young talent to the sport with great teams and a great atmosphere, absent the DJ's and hype crews, although, who knows?

We've had a great run of D1 commits lately...congrats to all...and it's because these dudes and their families got out and wrestled the best. Some might have "had the hammer dropped" on them early, but it didn't deter them. Gotta wrestle the best to be the best or something like that. So if you're in the area and can round up your team/club/kids come on out on Jan 8 at 6pm and celebrate the sport and support great wrestling.

Just giving a solid prediction....wasn't trying to agree or disagree with anyone

There wasn't anything said to agree or disagree on . With the team Harper puts on the mat this year , Penn will once again be an Indiana state title contender . I don't believe Harper is satisfied with that , he wants to be a national contender . To be a national contender , you have to wrestle those type of teams . I'm pretty sure everyone knows that Penn is not on the same level as OPRF , but who's to say they couldn't get there in the future ? Kudos to Harper for scheduling such an elite program . 

Edited by M109R

He is, at our rival school. While he has been there he has help turned a program from nothing, to being ranked 5th in the state. Seems like a better person then someone who judges somebody by some opinion they write on the internet.

He is, at our rival school. While he has been there he has help turned a program from nothing, to being ranked 5th in the state. Seems like a better person then someone who judges somebody by some opinion they write on the internet.

He is also working on recovery of his once visible abs..............and he is a great guy who is a solid coach and mentor to my kids and many others..........Loki you have said things on here that are on different levels of dumb so maybe just read and move on when its a post you don't agree with instead of trying to throw dirt on someone else who is really just trying to do his best for kids out there everywhere......blast away if you want but it will get no further response on the topic.

I think Loki's point was Fabio was "throwing dirt"(your words) on Penn's attempt to beef up it's wrestling schedule.  Perhaps a supporter of all Indiana wrestling programs could say something positive about Penn's attempt to challenge themselves against the best of the best? Or not, but then you have to prepare to have it thrown back at you.  Lastly, Fabio's a big boy he can defend himself. 

I have a pretty high reading level, at least 3rd grade, I missed where anyone defended Loki, I thought someone clarified his point. But hey I like the Ricky Bobby approach, as long as you preface things, with "With all due respect", you can say anything you want. Back on topic, does anyone have a list of possible match ups and credentials for each wrestler. That would be nice for comparison sake. Or perhaps at the very least what Penn's potential line-up will be? Thanks! 

I have a pretty high reading level, at least 3rd grade, I missed where anyone defended Loki, I thought someone clarified his point. But hey I like the Ricky Bobby approach, as long as you preface things, with "With all due respect", you can say anything you want. Back on topic, does anyone have a list of possible match ups and credentials for each wrestler. That would be nice for comparison sake. Or perhaps at the very least what Penn's potential line-up will be? Thanks! 

Thank you for refocusing the thread! I'm sure M109R can recite the Penn lineup for us. Not sure of OPRF

Not sure if this was from last year or not but a start for OPRF State Rankings Class AAA IM T  OPRF 1st 106  T. Madrigal 2nd 106  P. Ogunsanya HM 113  J. Renteria 1st 120  A. Madrigal 1st 120  B. Campos HM 126  G. Townsell 3rd 132  J. Hernandez 5th 138  S. Bennette 12th 145  L. Early 1st 145  B. Scott HM 152  I. White 1st 160  M. Rundell 1st 170  K. Bey 1st 182  M. Metzgar HM 195  B. Bergen HM 220  A. Stallings 3rd 285  A. Lemke-B 6th

This is from their site and believe the rankings might be from IllinoisMatmen site.

Edited by UncleJimmy

OPRF will be a heavy favorite, but wouldn't be surprised if Penn could keep it relatively close. I say Penn gets 4 to 5 wins. Maybe gives up some bonus points. In guessing 35 to 19. There's a lot upside to this for Penn. This type of match would give them great exposure in rankings. If they get within 10, this will put them in top 25 for sure. Nothing better than wrestling the best competion. You find out what you need to work on. Maybe they get a few losses on record, but this is golden experience, and makes those tough other Indiana teams not as tough.

OPRF will be a heavy favorite, but wouldn't be surprised if Penn could keep it relatively close. I say Penn gets 4 to 5 wins. Maybe gives up some bonus points. In guessing 35 to 19. There's a lot upside to this for Penn. This type of match would give them great exposure in rankings. If they get within 10, this will put them in top 25 for sure. Nothing better than wrestling the best competion. You find out what you need to work on. Maybe they get a few losses on record, but this is golden experience, and makes those tough other Indiana teams not as tough.

I thought the same thing until I saw the results from the link that Dlane posted. Geeeeezzz!!!! Hats off to Penn for stepping to the plate. Big respect from me. They killed apple valley and even forfeited to the stevensons for some reason. Would like to know the story about those forfeits.

Edited by Mattyb

OPRF had two guys in the finals at the same weight class at Fargo this year. They are #1 for a reason.

Their Flo ranked guys are 

106- #13

120- #7

126- #17

132- #20

160- #2

170- #2 word is he's at the OTC though

That means they have ranked guys matching up with three of Penn's top returners at 106, 120, and 160.

From all that's been posted, it seems possible Penn might be an underdog at all weights but maybe 170 and 220.  That certainly doesn't mean they can't/won't win more, but it seems that way on the always-evil piece of paper.

Was thinking that the over/under on Penn wins would be 3 and appears to be about right. Of interest will be whether there is some creative weight class manipulations to take advantage of the on paper strengths and weaknesses. Not knowing OPRF's schedule, they might treat this like more of an exhibition or to use a soccer term, "friendly", on their way to a national weekend tourney....just not sure. Of course, you don't get #1 in the nation by not going hard all the time and the backups are just as tough, as witnessed by the 2 Fargo finalists in same weight class!

Edited by UncleJimmy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.