Purdue In-State Recruiting

• 2 weeks later...

If thats true about Tanelli, than thats too bad.   It easier to get in state kids as they have to pay less in state tuition, and it helps attendance at meets when the local fan base is watching Indiana kids.    Of course Tanelli needs to recruit out of state, and bring some 5 star recruits in to be competitive.  But thats easier said than done.   But he's also going to have score some good Indiana kids.   Dont tell me Tanelli wouldnt want some of the top kid Indiana kids.   Who wouldnt like Chad Red on their roster.

I don't know about the other coaches, but I've heard from multiple people that Tanelli is not a fan of Indiana kids.

This is a silly statement to just throw out there.  There's no coach that isn't a "fan" of any kid that can contribute positively to the program and help them win.

This is a silly statement to just throw out there.  There's no coach that isn't a "fan" of any kid that can contribute positively to the program and help them win.

I agree that is a silly statement. Purdue has several Indiana kids in their lineup who can and will help them win. Just because they don't sign a kid doesn't mean that they haven't tried or aren't interested.  I have had several conversations with Coach Ersland and I know he wants Indiana kids.

• 3 weeks later...

Comparison of B1G programs.  

Percentage of "in-state" wrestlers on their official rosters.

Graph available here:  https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPi9jDRKMJC4FrccE7wDVGSfJAgFFjU3iu5sFbr

Northwestern 20.00%

Nebraska 25.71%
Maryland 31.58%
Michigan 47.22%
Purdue 48.28%
Iowa 54.05%
Minnesota 55.56%
Indiana 56.67%
Wisconsin 56.67%
Penn State 65.63%
Ohio State 69.05%
Illinois 79.31%
Rutgers 82.14%
Michigan State 90.91%

Is there any reason Purdue doesn't seem to get many of the big in-state recruits? They have a good class coming in already from out of state recruits but it'd be nice to see them get more Indiana talent.

I would like to think that in the past and now , the elite wrestlers were more concerned about who their practice partners were than what the name of the school was. Big and more competitive practice rooms will probable make the school more desirable to the upper echelon in state wrestlers. In other words, It's not just in the coaches power any way.

Edited by Disco

• 2 months later...

Sadly, from talking to several folks being recruited or in the know, this absolutely seems to be the case with Tanelli.  Some are not understanding what they are doing with the lower weights, development,

washing guys out, etc. It is not going unnoticed on the recruiting trail. 

Now for the big guys, Tyrel Todd has been a great hire. A stud recruiter, mature, and is perceived as a very good teacher. Well thought of by the coaches I talk to.

• 3 weeks later...

All Purdue coaches nothing but class!  They are working on building a team from top to bottom that is the best they can possibly put on the mat.  If they can find someone better I am sure they will go after that kid first.  Is it possible that the kids feeling slighted are not the best kid they are going after, hence having a little anger toward the coaches?

Sadly, from talking to several folks being recruited or in the know, this absolutely seems to be the case with Tanelli.  Some are not understanding what they are doing with the lower weights, development,

washing guys out, etc. It is not going unnoticed on the recruiting trail. 

Now for the big guys, Tyrel Todd has been a great hire. A stud recruiter, mature, and is perceived as a very good teacher. Well thought of by the coaches I talk to.

Examples or BS