NWCA All Star Classic- too much funk

ENoblewrestling

I recorded it and am currently watching 184. It seems like every attempted takedown is being defended by some type of funk roll. I think it is exciting to a point, but leads to way too many stalemates. I also can't believe that more injuries don't come from it. I know we see it plenty in high school, but it seemed like every match tonight.

Anyone think there could be a rule change in the future to phase it out a little bit? Is there anyway you could change what is and isn't a takedown? Also with it being an all star event are the wrestlers a little more loose, wrestling more freely or is funk the new go to defense?

Funk is good to have in a wrestlers skill set. I would like to know the percentage of funk stopping a score compared to good sprawl and jam. I am 99 percent sure that a solid sprawl and jam statistically would be a better defense. I would say that the funk is not only used for defense.... Kids are using it as a go to offense. Delgado wants kids to shoot so that he can dive at a leg. I say that it is not the new defense but a whole new style of wrestling all together. Curious to hear some coaches chime in on this.

I feel two ways about it. If you know the principles of good scrambling (head high wins it) then "funk" can take you far. I did it in high school drove my coaches nuttz. However the great Thomas Jarman taught solidness trumps everything. Solid position and a good down block can deter any foe. As I age I prescribe to the latter.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.