FT WAYNE SS Heavyweight Champ?

nkraus

It's funny how it feels like "heavyweight is down this year" every year.  I would suggest it's because the vast majority of the top 40 guys across the state at heavyweight most years are seniors.  There are often only a couple non-seniors at state.  So everyone stepping into the varsity spots are 195/220s that grew into the weight or past JV guys that were good that had no where to go because they couldn't cut down.  Somehow, we end up with plenty of tough heavies at all 4 semi-states every year--but more than any other weight, they're often relative unknowns.

I guess that's the thing...they come in as relative unknowns

I'll always think back to my senior year in high school.  Our heavy was a big offensive lineman that came out for wrestling for the first time as a junior in high school as kind of an awkward, unathletic kid.  He won half his matches that year, gained a good amount of strength and confidence between that year and his senior year, and ends up making it to the ticket round at semi-state as a senior in his second year ever wrestling.  I've paid attention since then and stories like that at heavyweight are very common.  If you can grow into the weight strength-wise, have a little athleticism, get a feel for a couple key mat scrambles, and have a go-to takedown...you can become a contender in a hurry when no one's heard of you.  

We had one two years ago during my first season that came out for the first time and placed at Al Smith and qualified for Regionals.  Went 1-1 against Schwartz from Snider who ended up being a state placer the following year...wish I could've gotten our kid to wrestle earlier in his career..although I think he did one year of middle school wrestling.

Blake Davis if he is healthy I know he has an injury from football and didn't play after the first game but if he comes back healthy whtch out

I hope Blake is Healthy as well. He is a talent. We need him in our area. I have a good rapport with his brother and always speak to mom and dad when I see them. Nothing against him believe me on the contrary. I believe he will have a medal around his neck by years end. However, the topic is who is going to win the Semi State? I say Williams. I'll quote my Grandma Betty Swanson~ "I'm not always right, yet I'm seldom wrong."

I hope Blake is Healthy as well. He is a talent. We need him in our area. I have a good rapport with his brother and always speak to mom and dad when I see them. Nothing against him believe me on the contrary. I believe he will have a medal around his neck by years end. However, the topic is who is going to win the Semi State? I say Williams. I'll quote my Grandma Betty Swanson~ "I'm not always right, yet I'm seldom wrong."

I think Davis and Williams will be a must see match, and hopefully we get to see it. I am going with Blake baised on the fact that he has had great practice partners in the form of his brothers, and nobody pushes you harder in the room then a sibling rivalry. Either way I think it will be one of the best HWT matches this year and both of them are great wrestlers.

Good points I won't even counter. That being said Williams has some pretty accomplished people pushing him as well. I wouldn't be so confident if I didn't have privy to that fact. We won't see this match up until Regionals. I'd be lying if I said I can wait for this one.!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.